PDA

View Full Version : Yo its Le Fou

JohnLeFou
11/07/2007 8:03pm,
I guess this is my first, "hello all" thread. I am looking to learn and figure out something new. While I am saying hi, I might as well post my first request for advice:

I have been studying at a Karate school for a year and a half, and feel a little out of place. There just aren't that many adults that are training seriously with aliveness. I feel like I am learning a good few things, we are encoraged to bring in bits from any style we can find, and the instructor wants us to find what works for us. BUT it is hard to really train if someone throws a punch that looks as dangerous as a butterfly.

within 40 mintues of driving I have my school, a good few McDojos, a WingTsun School, a McDojo BJJ school (wow $200/8 hours a month!), and a real BJJ/Tai place.

You say, "so go to the real BJJ/Tai place". I did, and I don't think I could stick with it. It was....too real. Recently tried one one hour class, and got knocked out, a black eye, and a crushed lymphnode that took two weeks to heal (yes, I tapped, no, he didn't stop). I can't heal fast enough. Any advice on making the best of this situation?

TKDBot
11/07/2007 8:04pm,
Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, JohnLeFou. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

Bald1
11/08/2007 9:09am,
Wow, that is crazy that you got all of that in one go.

I have many bruises, a very bruised rib, a sore jaw and a really sexy scrape on my nose. But it took a month, 4-5 hours, a week to accumulate all of this and none (except the rib that fucker hurts) sound as bad as what you got.

I have noticed that my overall carnage is seemingly decreasing as I train more.

Minor injuries are par for the course but yours do seem excessive. Maybe it really was bad luck. I would talk to the instructor and get his thoughts on what happened.

Oh' and just to be sure...you didn't enter the gym boasting of your mad Karate skills did you?

As far as quality training, I tried the karate thing. Then decided that I wanted to learn to fight so I went to BJJ and muay thai.

Goju - Joe
11/08/2007 9:11am,
I guess this is my first, "hello all" thread. I am looking to learn and figure out something new. While I am saying hi, I might as well post my first request for advice:

I have been studying at a Karate school for a year and a half, and feel a little out of place. There just aren't that many adults that are training seriously with aliveness. I feel like I am learning a good few things, we are encoraged to bring in bits from any style we can find, and the instructor wants us to find what works for us. BUT it is hard to really train if someone throws a punch that looks as dangerous as a butterfly.

within 40 mintues of driving I have my school, a good few McDojos, a WingTsun School, a McDojo BJJ school (wow $200/8 hours a month!), and a real BJJ/Tai place.

You say, "so go to the real BJJ/Tai place". I did, and I don't think I could stick with it. It was....too real. Recently tried one one hour class, and got knocked out, a black eye, and a crushed lymphnode that took two weeks to heal (yes, I tapped, no, he didn't stop). I can't heal fast enough. Any advice on making the best of this situation?

That sucks but a good BJJ school should ease noobs into it, that place sounds like the sux

JohnLeFou
11/08/2007 12:27pm,
Don't get me wrong, I loved it and learned a hell of a lot, even tapped a couple of their guys using some of my standing submissions on the ground. Made me hopeful that my karate wasn't total bullshido heh.

It is Fake
11/08/2007 12:57pm,
Interesting. Now just from this little statement:

Recently tried one one hour class, and got knocked out, a black eye, and a crushed lymphnode that took two weeks to heal (yes, I tapped, no, he didn't stop). I can't heal fast enough. Any advice on making the best of this situation?
I'd agree with Soju-Joe.

Yet, with this response (read teh bold)

Don't get me wrong, I loved it and learned a hell of a lot, even tapped a couple of their guys using some of my standing submissions on the ground. Made me hopeful that my karate wasn't total bullshido heh.

One hour class intros are usually for noobs and rarely involve the level of contact you described. Almost sounds like you got popped for sandbagging your skills.

Was it an actual "intro" or did you go to test them out?

shinhiko
11/08/2007 1:24pm,
oh snap, yeah getting hurt isnt worth the trouble. Aliveness or deadness I say.

If you could have stopped them from pwning you , you should have. Not being able to train sucks.
And yeah that place sounds like the suck to me. Better luck next time, and also, yeah why the hell are you sparring on an intro class?
Don't you get to spar at your Karate dojo?

It is Fake
11/08/2007 1:34pm,
And yeah that place sounds like the suck to me. Better luck next time, and also, yeah why the hell are you sparring on an intro class?
I refuse to pass judgment until we hear the whole story. I think he should provide the gym name so we can ask them what happened.

Don't you get to spar at your Karate dojo?
That is why I am wondering what is going on. If he is good enough to tap people, (during an intro hmmmm?) with karate based "standing submissions on the ground," it sounds like he went in for a challenge not an intro class.

Bald1
11/08/2007 2:19pm,
Did you tap these guys out before or after you regained consciousness?

shinhiko
11/11/2007 5:07am,
I refuse to pass judgment until we hear the whole story. I think he should provide the gym name so we can ask them what happened.

That is why I am wondering what is going on. If he is good enough to tap people, (during an intro hmmmm?) with karate based "standing submissions on the ground," it sounds like he went in for a challenge not an intro class.

Indeed, and oh i just notice us study XingYi

So like are we doing the same thing?

I've always wondered.