PDA

View Full Version : The Lost Art of Blocking

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

YungSensei
10/26/2007 4:30pm,
It seems to me that every time I watch a MMA match or a sanda fight or just any type of fight and it seems that all they do is move out of the way, put both arms covering there faces or just get hit...what is up with that. I know I am young and all but in every single fight, sparring session or match i've been in I have blocked, depleted and deflected attacks and it works. Why isn't it used by martial artist???

Chizilds
10/26/2007 4:35pm,
If you see... they do block.... by covering up, you are blocking. If you are referring to deflection, try deflecting a jab somewhere and have enough time to deflect the cross or another jab..... that stand in one place and down block in a horse stance **** doesn't go over well when you have someone throwing hands. Plus it slows you down. You are much faster if you slip a jab and counter, or block by covering and counter, than you are moving an attack somewhere, then coming back and attacking them.

Teh El Macho
10/26/2007 4:39pm,
It seems to me that every time I watch a MMA match or a sanda fight or just any type of fight and it seems that all they do is move out of the way, put both arms covering there faces or just get hit...what is up with that. I know I am young and all but in every single fight, sparring session or match i've been in I have blocked, depleted and deflected attacks and it works. Why isn't it used by martial artist???

You will find an answer to your question when you enter an octagon and ring young padawan.

YungSensei
10/26/2007 4:42pm,
haha u talk of blocking jabs and what not but i've done it, it just takes dedication and hard training, and if u block u don't just block u strike at the same time. I guess for me i dont give up ground for anyone so if u attack me I'm not going to run, im going to take control of the situation using close quarters techniques to hit u from inches away. And what is up with the horse stance standing in place thing? The hole point of stance training is to get a root so that your always connected to the ground aka more kinetic energy! So don't give me the whole oh what if they do that and this crap when you become good enough that doesn't matter anymore...train hard and correctly and you'll see the results, iight?

Teh El Macho
10/26/2007 5:01pm,
You are a teenager, aren't you?

golsa
10/26/2007 5:04pm,
I don't know what kind of blocks and defections they teach in 'Dragon Style Kung Fu' as my experience with CMA blocking/deflections/etc is limited to the Wing Chun stuff in Jun Fan kickboxing. Stuff like jao sao is great on paper and in drilling sessions, its rare you pull them off in full contact. UFC fighters are covering and moving most of the time because those are the highest percentage strike avoidance techniques. Even a pak sao/parry works 1/3 times in full contact in my experience.

On the topic of horse stance.... You haven't been training long I take it? Having a good base is important, but dropping into something like that leaves you with limited mobility and exposes your front leg to all kinds of sweeps and round kicks to the knee. Try it vs. a San Da/Muay Thai guy and you'll go down like a prom date. I guess the point here is that in MMA and San Da you're seeing what really works, while in CMA and other TMAs you're seeing highly idealized and stylized versions of how things would work in an ideal world.

YungSensei
10/26/2007 5:11pm,
Yes I am a teenager aka young adult but i have been in my fare share of bouts and i know at least my techniques work against any type of attack, it doesn't matter if its MMA or San shou or Muay Thai u can block punches it is not a thing u see in the kung fu movies they actually work.

Teh El Macho
10/26/2007 5:15pm,
Sure.

It is Fake
10/26/2007 5:15pm,
Hmmm. Hmmmm. I will see how this goes but, it looks like YMAS material.

1) Have you fought/Sparred outside of your gym?
2) Have you fought/sparred in a Ring/Match?
3) What is the contact level of your Sparring?
4) How many STyles do they teach at your school?
5) How many years have you trained in total of any MA?

Answers to these question will determine whether this thread stays here or, is moved to YMAS or Newbietown.

It is Fake
10/26/2007 5:16pm,
Yes I am a teenager aka young adult but i have been in my fare share of bouts and i know at least my techniques work against any type of attack, it doesn't matter if its MMA or San shou or Muay Thai u can block punches it is not a thing u see in the kung fu movies they actually work.
Leaning towards the wolves and a title change.

Chizilds
10/26/2007 5:19pm,
haha u talk of blocking jabs and what not but i've done it, it just takes dedication and hard training, and if u block u don't just block u strike at the same time. I guess for me i dont give up ground for anyone so if u attack me I'm not going to run, im going to take control of the situation using close quarters techniques to hit u from inches away. And what is up with the horse stance standing in place thing? The hole point of stance training is to get a root so that your always connected to the ground aka more kinetic energy! So don't give me the whole oh what if they do that and this crap when you become good enough that doesn't matter anymore...train hard and correctly and you'll see the results, iight?

You are a teenager, aren't you?

God damnit... You always beat me to it....

:bowdown:

YungSensei
10/26/2007 5:22pm,
1: Yes i have sparred outside of my "gym"
2: Yes i have and won
3: Full contact sparring, any other type would be an insult to what i am trying to put across
4: One style
5: Since i was five i have been training in my Martial art.

taijiamn
10/26/2007 5:32pm,
Ignoring the "I can take anything that happens and come out on top with my style because I train uber hard," I think the question of why don't people use stylized blocks is a good one. But more importantly, why are these blocks still in systems, when it's been shown that not only is slipping, or your typical boxers guard, is so much better in a fight. If you spend time drilling the stylized blocks, is there a way to make them effective, or should they just be recognized as a defunct part of the history of the style?

YungSensei
10/26/2007 5:36pm,
I'm not saying "I can take anything that happens and come out on top with my style because I train uber hard" Im saying that there are things made by people in systems to be used by the practitioner is all. I'm not sayin i'll always win cuz no one is invincible but im saying that if u train this to become muscle memory it is a viable defence and i wonder why no one i've seen in full contact fighting doesn't use them?

Teh El Macho
10/26/2007 5:37pm,
1: Yes i have sparred outside of my "gym"
2: Yes i have and won
3: Full contact sparring, any other type would be an insult to what i am trying to put across
4: One style
5: Since i was five i have been training in my Martial art.

1. Where do you train? Meaning, what's the name and location of your gym?

2. How do you won a sparring session? You win fights, not sparring sessions.

3. Define full contact sparring.

4. In what other locations outside of your gym have you sparred/fought? Names and locations, please.

5. How old are you?

Teh El Macho
10/26/2007 5:38pm,
God damnit... You always beat me to it....

:bowdown:

Sorry to ruin your mojo ;)