PDA

View Full Version : Konichiwa fellow Martial Artists

GrandMaster00
10/25/2007 6:02pm,
All,

I am new to Bullshido and I am interested in enrolling in Enshin. If anyone can relate their personal experience in Enshin, that would be great. I am considering taking Judo with Enshin, since many moves in Enshin are Judo as the perfect grappling/throwing compliment to Enshin's Kyokushin based striking. I'm still deliberating between Judo and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu as far as what's more effective.

I'm thinking Judo is the superior standing grappling MA, so if a BJJ master can't even get you on the ground, then all their moves are useless. I saw a video on YouTube where a BJJ person and a Judo person were in a ring sparring and the BJJ guy got owned, he couldn't even approach the Judo guy. Your thoughts are welcomed, easy on the flaming please.

GrandMaster00:waoya

OmegaBot
10/25/2007 6:03pm,
In spite of what some other web-sites would have you believe, we here at Bullshido.net welcome you, GrandMaster00, with open arms and hope that you will share with us your unique experiences and ideas on the martial arts.... so that we may then make fun of those experiences and ideas.

Jadonblade
10/25/2007 6:23pm,
It sounds like you have already chosen judo, go with where you feel most comfortable.

GrandMaster00
10/25/2007 6:27pm,
I would like to know what other's opinions are as far as which is more effective Judo vs. BJJ, I 'm sure this has been discussed before. Also, what you feel the most effective striking MA is.

ka_ju_max
10/25/2007 6:29pm,
depending on what your looking for in a grappling art you might want to lool into which school if either practices without a gi

Jadonblade
10/25/2007 6:35pm,
Im fairly confident that there are very few no gi judo places. But yes grandmaster, the topic would of been discussed to death, therefore allowing you to find such threads and read them. Rather than everyone else having to repeat themselves.

golsa
10/25/2007 8:22pm,
Judo vs. BJJ is one of the oldest horses around, but you can't go wrong with either one.

A lot of people will tell you
Judo = 90% throws and 10% ground work
BJJ = 90% ground work and 10% takedowns

I'll add to that and say because of Judo's rules it tends to focus on short burst, explosive power on both the ground and standing. Judo guys only get 30 seconds or so of ground time if there isn't progress in the fight being made, so they tend to train for balls to the wall type ne-waza.

BJJ doesn't have stall out time, so fights tend to focus more on saving your energy for a potentially drawn out ground fight. So in BJJ its perfectly legit to do everything you can to stall out and let the other guy waste his energy while you wait for him to make a mistake.

Does that make one better than the other? Nope, its a different focus, but for the purposes of fighting on the ground you'll find the majority of BJJers better than more experienced Judokas.

CS_Riley
10/25/2007 9:12pm,
That sounds like what I've been told about BJJ vs Judo as well, and although I'm looking at starting with Judo I intend to learn some BJJ later on, to round out my ground work.

GrandMaster00
10/26/2007 1:12pm,
I'm reading a book on BJJ and it says that most fights end on the ground anyways. I would like to take both as I don't want to be vulnerable if I end up there but that's a lot of MA and I have other interests. BJJ is developed from Judo distantly, so in a sense it is a more refined, practical form of Judo. The book I am reading states Judo is a sanitized version of jiu jitsu made for public approval and eventually a sport also which makes it less effective in a street fight as opposed to BJJ which is supposed to be all about winning an all out no-holds barred street fight. Thanks for everyone's response.

rsobrien
10/26/2007 1:34pm,
Speaking as someone who did both Judo and Enshin, I say do Judo. If you really want to compete in Sabaki tournaments, you will become dangerous in a gi clinch. I picked up some throws that I could apply even with the silly grabbing only 1 side rule. Ippone seio nage, Seio othosh, will look very slick in a Sabaki environment.

You will pick up enough groundwork to be competent. I am not saying you will be submitting BJJ blues even but you will not be flopping around like a fish. You will learn some submissions and if you can just pick up a few basic submissions and work on them while doing newaza (mat work) at judo, you will be okay. Not great but okay.

Judo I think will compliment your Enshin much more than BJJ along with being much cheaper (usually). Of course though, BJJ will plug certain holes in your game that Judo won't (prolonged ground grappling).

Naszir
10/26/2007 1:55pm,
GM00, where are you looking at taking judo in Round Rock? I wasn't aware of any dojos up there.

TheMightyMcClaw
10/27/2007 1:25pm,
It sounds like you're leaning towards judo, and I think Rsobrien is right about it being a better mix for Sabaki competiion. If you were looking to train for MMA competition, on the other hand, I would recomend BJJ as a way to make yourself more well-rounded. Since both are Japanese systems, you may find it, how to say, more culturally fluid as well.
One thing I would recomend with Judo, when doing newaza, try to avoid things like turtling indefinitely, picking people up instead of passing their guard, only using submissions when you can't get a pin, etc.

GrandMaster00
10/27/2007 1:44pm,
Speaking as someone who did both Judo and Enshin, I say do Judo. If you really want to compete in Sabaki tournaments, you will become dangerous in a gi clinch. I picked up some throws that I could apply even with the silly grabbing only 1 side rule. Ippone seio nage, Seio othosh, will look very slick in a Sabaki environment.

You will pick up enough groundwork to be competent. I am not saying you will be submitting BJJ blues even but you will not be flopping around like a fish. You will learn some submissions and if you can just pick up a few basic submissions and work on them while doing newaza (mat work) at judo, you will be okay. Not great but okay.

Judo I think will compliment your Enshin much more than BJJ along with being much cheaper (usually). Of course though, BJJ will plug certain holes in your game that Judo won't (prolonged ground grappling).

This is pretty much what I am thinking, that Judo will make my Enshin better and not get totally owned by BJJ on the ground but I still need to take BJJ to be dominate on the ground. I feel like I should take both to be complete, but this a lot of time and dedication. BJJ contends almost all fights end up on the ground anyways, so according to their arguments, it seems mandatory to take if you want to be sure to win 1on1 fights. I wanted to take Kosen Judo which has a lot of the moves of BJJ, but I know of no dojos in the US that teach Kosen, only Japanese universities. If anyone knows of any Kosen dojos in the US, please say so as this would perfect my martials arts arsenal.

GrandMaster00
10/27/2007 1:47pm,
GM00, where are you looking at taking judo in Round Rock? I wasn't aware of any dojos up there.

There may not be, but there are Judo dojos in Austin and the Enshin sensei is a 3rd dan Judo master as well, so I may can learn it from him.