PDA

View Full Version : searching for a style...

Pages : [1] 2

mallenv
10/23/2007 7:40pm,
I was a 6th section in Chung Moo Quan (now Oom Yung Doe) in MN 20 years ago, but am now a lot older and wiser. I now want what I originally wanted, and am now finally willing to try again: an excersize regimen that I will find interesting, and if it teaches me to defend myself so much the better, but really just want better health. Unfortunately, I am moving to northwest Arkansas where there are not many options, and those seem geared towards fighting. I am thinking a Tai Chi program would be good for me, at 50 years old. Do you have any better suggestions? Then again, I cannot find Tai Chi down there online. Do you think I can learn Tai Chi from a DVD with the "background" that I have? Is there a better idea? I am looking at a dvd "Tai Chi for Health: Yang Long Form", would that be a good start?

TKDBot
10/23/2007 7:41pm,
Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, mallenv. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

idahocowboy
10/23/2007 8:47pm,
You can learn any style from a DVD, but not well. I am in the same boat in IDaho, not much for styles around here. Tai Chi is a very fluid dancelike style, may be hard to do by yourself. that being said, i would stay away from styles in general, learn the the best parts of each style and get rid of all the other crap. Dont dedicate all your time to one philosophy, immerse yourself in the whole pool of M.Arts, you'll be better off.

Hands
10/23/2007 8:58pm,
I think the short form would be better to start learning if you have to go with a DVD. I recommend finding a qualified instructor though. There is a good chance that you will hurt yourself without taking the proper precautions (I would have).

After some time off its often nice to switch to something totally different. A grappling style like BJJ may be a good idea. You won't know until you try.

You may also find good tai chi instruction when you get down there. I would be surprised if there is no tai chi. You can ask around at the local schools and MA supply stores. Whatever you do, stay away from Chung Moo or whatever they call it these days. You probably already know that though. ;-)

mallenv
10/23/2007 9:55pm,
I saw once where Tai Chi was taught down there in the area, I think in a community center, but you have to realize that it is a retirement area and I bet most in the classes are old ladies, very slow. It is not heavily populated, not a whole lot of options.

Wow though, these comments are a breath of fresh air from where I was coming from. Wish I had started somewhere else. I would have still been in it all. No one is even trying to sell me anything??? All I was used to was hard work and handing over money.

I do think I have enough background to catch onto movements shown to me even on dvd. I might be wrong. Do you people think the dvd shows legitimate form?

Stay away from CMQ (Hands, have you some knowledge of this?)? My biggest contribution here and maybe the only one will be to warn all of you! You need to look it up just so you can warn other people to stay away. I bs you not. This is unreal to me, we were not allowed to ask questions. Gave me a bad taste for martial arts.

ignatzami
10/23/2007 10:03pm,
mallenv,

I roll with several guys age 50+. Grappling is an amazing workout, it's low impact so you wont hurt your joints, and it's resistive for muscle and bone health. I would recommend posting your exact location (town, village etc.) people will be more help then. All in all I would recommend BJJ for a great workout.

Also please ignore idahocowboy, he's clueless.

Rivington
10/23/2007 10:27pm,
Tai chi would be quite difficult to learn via DVD, as it is hard to see weighted stances and keep track of the little things that make up a posture without correction and hands-on experience (e.g, push hands) with others.

Yang is the most popular style of tai chi and surely the one most completely oriented toward health, so it should be easy to find a course that runs a bit faster than the stuff for retirees. A more exact location might be helpful. Yang, at least insofar as is taught in many US schools, may not be all that helpful for self-defense. There are fighting Yang schools however.

mallenv
10/23/2007 11:16pm,
I am in Minnesota now, moving near Bentonville Arkansas next year when I hope to take up something again just for excersise, not fighting. Figured Tai Chi would be best. I do have some background, figured I might pick it up on dvd. Wrong? I always enjoyed practicing forms the most and learning new movements, so I thought long form would be for me. Figured that would keep me interested, and be a good workout. I am not a rookie, nor am I an expert, but am way out of touch and out of shape!
But 50 isn't that old! I figure I have a few years left I can learn something... :)

mallenv
10/23/2007 11:46pm,
Now I am a Noob? How do you get off that? I used to lead both the childrens and adults classes (though not an instructor). I still have some pride :)! I did order the dvd. I will let you all know what I think of it. When I was practicing, I was in for long enough that I could pick up things just shown once (or twice), will have to see if that is still true. If I am in for a tough lesson that will just make me more interested.

Hands
10/24/2007 12:09am,
Now I am a Noob? How do you get off that? I used to lead both the childrens and adults classes (though not an instructor). I still have some pride :)! I did order the dvd. I will let you all know what I think of it. When I was practicing, I was in for long enough that I could pick up things just shown once (or twice), will have to see if that is still true. If I am in for a tough lesson that will just make me more interested.
You may want to train with a qualified instructor first. You can mess up your knees (I found out when I crosstrained TC). The CMQ spinoffs that I was familiar with didn't understand some of the precautions. Its one of those things where you wonder why your knees are so messed up when TC should have helped.

I'm sorry to say but your CMQ experience twenty years ago may not help you very much.

mallenv
10/27/2007 5:24pm,
I watched part of the dvd, the movements are a lot different, and I have heard about messing up your knees, I know a lot of the higher belts in cmq have bad knees. I also found a martial arts school here that had video. While watching that I realized they were far beyond me or what I was going to be taught at a similar level. That bothers me. They even post the lineage, which I suppose you could verify. Very eye opening.

It is Fake
10/27/2007 5:28pm,
Could you give us a DVD title? I might be able to put you on to some easy to learn basic TAi Chi for health DVD's.

golsa
10/27/2007 5:47pm,
If you're coming to the Fayetteville area, I can tell you there is a Tai Chi place in town, but I have no clue about the quality of it. The Aikido sensei at my club also teaches at a local dojo and says his class there is geared for an older crowd, so you might find comradery there as well. I've been meaning to drop by his dojo when our club isn't open for several months, but haven't been able to make it, but I have met several of his brown & black belts and they are certainly competent in Aikido. If you want anymore info just shoot me a pm.

mallenv
10/29/2007 10:19pm,
The DVD title is "Tai Chi for health" (Yang Long Form). It does seem good but do worry that I do not learn correctly without personal instruction. This form does not mesh with my own past instruction, I have found. The movements are a lot different, weight balancing could be a concern. The dvd does show a couple angles, but I wonder if that is a good substitute for personal instruction now.
Golsa, I will be in Bella Vista or Bentonville. I never liked aikido! Seemed to be mostly excercises in pain. Judo, no way am I going to throw my body around like that again. I am certainly never wanting to spar. I am only looking for moderate excersize. Anyone have a better idea than Tai Chi?

Hands
10/30/2007 4:58am,
You really have to look around and evaluate your options. I recommend being open about some of the styles you experienced when you were in cmq. You may find that aikido or judo are taught differently by a more legitmate operation. If you try the styles and still don't like them it would be interesting to compare the differences anyway.

I trained at a cmq spinoff for a time and had a wakeup call when I tried other schools/styles. That Paul Ghey form? I saw a bagua master demonstrate that form and it looked completely different. CMQ had a tendency to oversimplify everything. One important note is that you shouldn't have to bow after learning a technique. If they do that, get the hell out of there; its not normal.

You can check out other chinese styles if you don't like the TC. I ran a search in the area you are moving too. At a glance it looks like MMA type schools or places I wouldn't train at. I didn't see any of the schools recommended on this thread so they are proably better. If the MA doesn't work out well you could always do something like yoga.

calmman7
10/30/2007 11:40am,
I agree with the poster above... check out some of the grappling. I have a lot of fun and it is a work out. I would check out a few gyms and stuff. Maybe a bjj, judo, boxing, etc. Talk to the coach and tell him/her what you are looking for.

Tai chi has been criticized in the states for teaching bad form which hurts the knees. The long of the short, your knee is never supposed to be over your toes (at least when I was taught) and that was the same as was told to me during my rehab for reconstructive surgery on my knee .

Is say, get adventersome, hopefully someone here has a place for you to check out.
Best of luck to you.