PDA

View Full Version : Don't want to live like a refugee...

Pages : [1] 2

other ryan
10/23/2007 10:00am,
This is my first post but I've been reading off this forum for a little while (i left the seemingly world infamous Sifu Brown's Chinese School of Martial Arts because the forum substantiated most of the notions i had about the place). I have two questions...
1) given that metro Detroit is a bit of a wasteland anyway- are there any other options in kung fu? somewhere with a degree of authenticity? (i am aware of the Moy Yat(?) wing chun school)
2) what is wrong with win chun (i saw the win chun sux video... i've read the banter... i'm not sure i get it...)

it seems like in detroit for kung fu you have two options... one being total nonsense the other being worthless... help??
-thanks

KungFuBot
10/23/2007 10:01am,
In spite of what some other web-sites would have you believe, we here at Bullshido.net welcome you, other ryan, with open arms and hope that you will share with us your unique experiences and ideas on the martial arts.... so that we may then make fun of those experiences and ideas.

cyrijl
10/23/2007 10:05am,
Are you totally committed to kung fu? If so, why?

other ryan
10/23/2007 1:49pm,
Right now i am committed... but it wouldn't be impossible for me to change due either to not finding the right school or finding another art that appeals to me... I feel (and this very well maybe ignorance) that there is a specific fluidity of movement in kung fu... or maybe it's an immature case of sinophilia... (i lived outside beijing for 6 months)... the way of moving i have seen in kung fu either from books or gleaned from the school i attended seems to be quite natural but still powerful... a gut reaction maybe as well...
I'm not sure that's much of an answer but that's my impression right now...

Axelton
10/23/2007 7:57pm,
Are you totally committed to kung fu? If so, why?

Because he's smart.

cyrijl
10/23/2007 8:39pm,
Irrespective of Axelton's comments, I wasn't trying to derride your choice. What are you looking to get out of a martial art (be it kung fu or whatever)? Are you looking to be able to fight, for cultural enhancement, to get into shape, etc?

There are a number of people who train in kung fu on this site. Giving some more information bout your goals will help people give you better/more suited information. One problem you will have is with authenticity. It can mean alot of things to just as many people.

As far as the problems with wing chun, there are alot of threads dedicated to the pros and cons of wing chun. If you use the search function you should the relevant threads. There are some current and former chunners on the site that could give you more information regarding specifics (Tom Kagan, Dr. Tzun Tzu to name 2).

By the way, welcome to bullshido. Read the stickies in each forum section and keep an open mind. Whether you continue in kung fu or try something else there are plenty of knowledgeable people here to help.

Lycurgus
11/07/2007 2:39pm,
This is my first post. I am having the same problem. Is there any legit Kung Fu school in the metro-Detroit area. I really need some help. I'm not opposed to doing something other than Kung Fu at this point. I have considered Muy Thai, but if anyone has a legit school, please let me know. I'm desperate!

Tonuzaba
11/07/2007 2:44pm,
Welcome other ryan and Lycurgus!
Be sure to read around, especially in the School review section as well as the Chinese Martial Arts subforums here.
While I can't help you with suggesting schools in Detroit (or anywhere in the States, for that matter) there are plenty of people with Chinese MA experience here, who'll be glad to help.

And some, outside of Newbietown, who are eagerly waiting to verbally date-rape you for anything CMA related.

Enjoy and learn from both. ;-)

FickleFingerOfFate
11/07/2007 2:49pm,
While I can't help you with suggesting schools in Detroit (or anywhere in the States, for that matter) there are plenty of people with Chinese MA experience here, who'll be glad to help.

I can suggest several fine BJJ schools, and a few other arts, depending on your locale, but I don't know of any good Kung-Fu schools (anywhere)

And some, outside of Newbietown, who are eagerly waiting to verbally date-rape you for anything CMA related.

Awwww, you went and spoiled the surprise.....

Welcome,

both of you.

See ya in YMAS.

selfcritical
11/07/2007 2:52pm,
There are a number of people on the board with Moy Vat experience(Tom Kagan?), who might be able to shed light on the quality that particular school

selfcritical
11/07/2007 3:05pm,
http://maphilindo.com/home.html

Pekiti Tirsia group leader.

Lycurgus
11/07/2007 3:06pm,
Thanks Tonuzaba, FickleFinger, and Selfcritical,

I did a little Wing Chung, but after spending some time on this, I'm not so excited as I first was. I'll look into the Moy Yat school. What other arts/schools do you suggest if not Kung Fu in Detroit?

Tonuzaba
11/07/2007 3:08pm,

I did a little Wing Chung, but after spending some time on this, I'm not so excited as I first was. I'll look into the Moy Yat school. What other arts/schools do you suggest if not Kung Fu in Detroit? ^^^ :happy8:

FickleFingerOfFate
11/07/2007 3:12pm,

I did a little Wing Chung, but after spending some time on this, I'm not so excited as I first was. I'll look into the Moy Yat school. What other arts/schools do you suggest if not Kung Fu in Detroit?

Where are you, I know a couple of schools on the East side of Detroit, or else there are other SE Mich. people who can help you on the West side.

...and its spelled Wang Chung!

(Everybody have fun tonight.....)

selfcritical
11/07/2007 3:13pm,
^^^ :happy8:

Here's the VT school you referred to earlier

http://www.kungfudetroit.com/

selfcritical
11/07/2007 3:18pm,
Here's another

http://www.coopersgymusa.com/