PDA

View Full Version : Fighting in the streets

Gambit84
10/23/2007 6:15am,
Hi, I'm still quite a noob in martial arts, but I think that the more sportsoriented, or at least the ones practicing alive training is more effective.

However I am a little at a loss when the question is about selfdefence. Do you think that camat sports such as muay thai/thaiboxing and shootfighting will make you a better fighter in the streets that say... krav maga/ninjutsu/whatever.

My main focus is sports, I haven't been in a lot of altercations outside the ring, and I have never had any use for those "deadly" teqniques that the selfdefence people boast about.

Sorry if this topic has been discussed many times in here, but once again I would like to point out that I am somethign of a noob, and this is my first post in this forum.

/Gambit84

Schwarde
10/23/2007 6:21am,
Quick - get yourself to Newbietown ( http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64 ) before THEY come and get you.

Newbietown is a place where you can post first time questions in safety. Asking questions that have been done to death, with the caveat that you're new here is no defence. THEY'll rip you a new one.

For what it's worth I ....

...wait....

...what's that?....

Oh sh*t! THEY've heard you... now run noob, run to newbietown...

namaste
10/23/2007 6:43am,
no MA will help well against a knife or a gun or multiple people. having a weapon of your own or running will help.

all alive training based MA's will help with the fighting side of things, whether it is on the street or in the ring. if necessary, just add in the things like groin kicks. eye gouge blah blah during the altercation if its at all possible or called for.

plus if your getting into altercations on the street, youre either an arsehole or youre hanging out in the wrong areas.

please excuse my lack of punctuation and spelling. i'm...extremely lazy.

Gezere
10/23/2007 6:57am,
However I am a little at a loss when the question is about selfdefence. Do you think that camat sports such as muay thai/thaiboxing and shootfighting will make you a better fighter in the streets that say... krav maga/ninjutsu/whatever.
Yes. Combat sports, such as Judo, BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing, etc are way better at preparing you for SD than KM, Ninjutsu,whatever.

My main focus is sports, I haven't been in a lot of altercations outside the ring, and I have never had any use for those "deadly" teqniques that the selfdefence people boast about.
Those of boast of "deadly" techniques are usually full of ****. Most pple will never be in a life and death struggle where super deadly techniques will be used. Even in such a situtation alot of "sport" techniques are still going to get the job done.

If you understand these guidelines you should do fine:

1) If you are faced with a weapon either a) draw your own b) get one or c) get the hell out of there.

2) When faced with multiple opponents have a) your own friends b) a weapon capable of disabling pple quickly or c) an escape route.

3) Punching, elbowing, kneeing, armbarring, choking, etc works just as well out the ring as it does in the ring.

M1K3
10/23/2007 7:55am,
Yes. Combat sports, such as Judo, BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing, etc are way better at preparing you for SD than KM, Ninjutsu,whatever.

Those of boast of "deadly" techniques are usually full of ****. Most pple will never be in a life and death struggle where super deadly techniques will be used. Even in such a situtation alot of "sport" techniques are still going to get the job done.

If you understand these guidelines you should do fine:

1) If you are faced with a weapon either a) draw your own b) get one or c) get the hell out of there.

2) When faced with multiple opponents have a) your own friends b) a weapon capable of disabling pple quickly or c) an escape route.

3) Punching, elbowing, kneeing, armbarring, choking, etc works just as well out the ring as it does in the ring.

This, is an excellent post ASIA. Too bad I can't +rep you. I think the other main thing to point out is the techniques you are learning work and work under the stress of a fight. Even if you have never taken a technique to completion, broke an arm or choked someone unconscious, all you have to do is watch an MMA match and you can see for yourself that it works. I have even seen broken arms in the ring. In addition you can feel that it works when you have someone doing it to you. You don’t need to have your elbow pop-out to feel that it could. Whereas it is difficult, if not impossible to train other ‘deadly’ techniques to this level.

CS_Riley
10/25/2007 7:43pm,
ASIA, I'd recommend changing the priority list to c, a, b in your treatise on weapons. Even if you are armed and more skilled against an armed opponent, you can face some damn serious injuries with just one minor screwup or a lucky strike. It's not worth it unless you can't get out of there - whatever the reason.

"Deadly" techniques aren't worth it. If he's trained, fight him the way you normally would, but as was said above - fight dirty if you have to, or can, depending on the fight. I can't really give you more, as I'm rather a novice and haven't been in a real fight in a long time. Fingers crossed it stays that way, but I need to get my arse in shape and (back...ish) in the ring.

Sith_Lord
10/29/2007 9:27am,
Life is too short and too dangerous to go street fighting, and people don't knuckle up, they bring weapons and numbers to fights nowadays.

Madgrenade
10/29/2007 9:49am,
Even if you did poke them in the eye, pop their elbow, etc, you'd still have to run before you get nicked and they sue you for loss of earnings.

Eddie Hardon
10/29/2007 10:29am,
Even if you did poke them in the eye, pop their elbow, etc, you'd still have to run before you get nicked and they sue you for loss of earnings.

Yeah, it's that old conundrum. "Reasonable Force". HA! Try to persuade a Court that you were genuinely in fear of your Life and that your response to the Threat took 5 seconds but broke his jaw, ribs, rendered unconsciousness etc.

Those 5 seconds will be dissected by M'Learned Counsel at a Daily Refresher rate of not less than £1K per day, plus £500 per day for each Junior Counsel, etc.

Insult to Injury, the threatening Squealer will seem like a proverbial paragon of virtue who was momentarily in mental anguish over a flashback to his potty training and was not in full command of his senses. He should be awared Compensation with Costs - at your Expense.

Aaah, the Legal System....

zirkakhan
12/04/2007 4:21pm,
MMA style fighting is forthe octogan..not the street. It's like boxing. You can be a great boxer, but if you start working the jab in a street fight you're nuts. Of course the other TMA's won't do you much good if you're not the kind of person that would win a fight even if you're not trained anyways. Point is the most important element in a street fight isn't you're "training" but the element of surprise and ferocity. The next important thing you'll need to live is to be willing to actually hurt someone. This isn't as easy as most think, a lot of people are conditioned to be submissive in violent situations. In the end the best advice is learn to use a firearm, be careful where you go, run away if you can. if you have to fight, fight hard to create an opening, Then RUN.

Gambit84
12/05/2007 5:19am,
Thanks for your answers guys, think I have a pretty good idea about what's what.