PDA

View Full Version : Order of the Selohar

Pages : [1] 2

Tyrsmann
10/13/2007 1:22pm,
This is an organization started by a published HEMA instructor. His name is Christian.H.Tobler. Here's the site

http://www.selohaar.org/frame.php?content=fechten.htm

Art
10/13/2007 1:40pm,
and . . . .?

Tyrsmann
10/13/2007 4:10pm,
and . . . .?
and nothing, I just wanted to post the site, see what people thought of it.

Anna Kovacs
10/13/2007 5:10pm,
Christians book has some useful stuff in it, I hate the way he grips his weapon, though. And that whole pagan religious thing is just weird.

TheMightyMcClaw
10/13/2007 8:32pm,
Religion and martial arts are a bad mix (religion and most things are a bad mix, except maybe for comedy), regardless of how unorthodox either of those parts may be.
Magickal HEMA maybe gets a few individuality points over Karate for Christ, but I feel like I can't object to one and not the other.

DdlR
10/13/2007 8:42pm,
Christians book has some useful stuff in it, I hate the way he grips his weapon, though. And that whole pagan religious thing is just weird.

Looks more like ritual magic than pagan religion per se.

I agree that his book has good stuff and he's gone to huge lengths to revive the Lichtenauer tradition, including learning Medieval German so he could translate the source material. He's taken some public flak for his interpretation of some of the ringen techniques and bore that well, admitting that he didn't have a strong background in unarmed combat.

Re. the O.P., website as a whole; depends on your tolerance for the whole SCA/Renaissance Faire ethos. From one perspective, it's nice that folks want to create their own realities and take concepts like honor and chivalry seriously. From another perspective it's all kind of silly.

Christian is a popular figure in the larger HEMA community, bearing in mind that the Order of Selohaar itself doesn't really reflect the HEMA status quo, which is more martial than mystical.

SFGOON
10/14/2007 1:25am,
Dorkiest thing I've seen in a long time. Who does this, and why?

DdlR
10/14/2007 1:31am,
Dorkiest thing I've seen in a long time. Who does this, and why?

Are you asking about the Order of Selohaar specifically, or historical European martial arts in general?

Skiritai
7/23/2008 12:32pm,
Pathetic fantasy groups like this are the reason that Renaissance Martial Arts aren't taken seriously by the mainstream MA community. The "Order" and those like it make a mockery of what is, in reality, a devastatingly brutal and highly refined European fighting system.

Vieux Normand
7/23/2008 12:49pm,
Guy in charge has his own presidential airplane: Tobler One.

Dude needs to develop fighting skills--every time the thing lands, people try to eat it.

Lebell
7/23/2008 3:45pm,
Religion and martial arts are a bad mix (religion and most things are a bad mix, except maybe for comedy), regardless of how unorthodox either of those parts may be.

im busy looking into possibilities of raising a rbsd/grappling group, ill call it 'militia of Christ'.
Then we'll patrol the streets to make sure everyone is conducting in a good Christian manner.
We'll start with beating up those annoying hare krishna infadels then move up to budhists and finally muslims.
I just got another idea, maybe we should go and win Jerusalem for the faith!
I'm pretty sure God is with us so what can go wrong, right?

who's with me?

Bizzaro Root
7/23/2008 3:52pm,
Buncha fat scally wags and ex-D&D players larping out the fantasies. They should stick to carnies and the traveling renaissance festival. But hey if their happy..... larp on.

Skiritai
7/23/2008 4:33pm,
Thing is, man, I'm actively involved in study of historical fencing purely as a martial art, and 90% of people think I'm into LARPing at first when I tell them that because of groups like this.

Groups like this are to WMA as Ashida Kim is to Ninjitsu.

Just Guess
7/23/2008 5:03pm,
im busy looking into possibilities of raising a rbsd/grappling group, ill call it 'militia of Christ'.
Then we'll patrol the streets to make sure everyone is conducting in a good Christian manner.
We'll start with beating up those annoying hare krishna infadels then move up to budhists and finally muslims.
I just got another idea, maybe we should go and win Jerusalem for the faith!
I'm pretty sure God is with us so what can go wrong, right?

who's with me?Careful Lebell. I hear some of those Buddhists are pretty dangerous and fight like animals.

Lebell
7/23/2008 5:18pm,
dont worry we'll have Jesus.

i mean Jesus!!!

what can go wrong.

Just Guess
7/23/2008 6:20pm,
I've always wondered about that. Not once have I asked my self, "what would Jesus do?" and come up with the answer, "destroy the infidels."