PDA

View Full Version : confessions of a student of Rudy Abel

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

attakmint
10/09/2007 7:20pm,
Hi, my name is Attakmint, and I wandered across this forum today. I've heard of bullshido and watch MMA(Pride/UFC/IFL/whatever) whenever it's on cable, but I have no claims of being a MMA guy or anything like that. For some odd reason, I registered today.

So as I was randomly looking at threads, I saw something about Rudy Abel... which kinda took me aback. See, about 6 or 7 years ago, I studied kung fu under him. So it was a little odd seeing his name here, especially because I remembered him having at least some respect for the UFC when I studied with him. This was back in freshman year of high school, and a little bit of sophmore year, when he was in San Mateo, CA (a little south of San Francisco). Anyways, he ended up having to move to... somewhere. After I changed high schools (wanted a "more academically challenging one"), I started playing lacrosse, which teaches you absolutley nothing about self-defense besides hitting people in the hands with a metal stick, and totally forgot all of my kung fu because I was too busy playing lacrosse.

Fast forward to today, and I find out he's been challenging and losing to people on this forum. So if you'd like a little insight to what it was like training with him back in 2000-2001, let me know.

TKDBot
10/09/2007 7:21pm,
BULL RUSH ON attakmint!!!

antman
10/09/2007 7:24pm,
we would. Continue

UpaLumpa
10/09/2007 7:36pm,
Did he call all women "cunts" back then too? Back then was he, as now, unable to respond to comments that are either questioning or critical with anything besides threats?

romeyroam
10/09/2007 7:39pm,
welcome to bullshido attakmint, and yes, yes we would

attakmint
10/09/2007 7:47pm,
hmm... keep in mind that I have/had no martial arts experience up until this point (or since, for that matter). So back in 2000, I figured that since I'm Chinese, I should learn a Chinese martial art, and figured that it'd be a good way to get in shape. So I talked to my friend, and joined his school. It was called Sung's Kung Fu. Which confused me, because Rudy is Cuban, and definitely not "Sung." I still have the vest from that tucked away somewhere.

Anyways, I sign up, go to class on Saturday, and it seemed kinda fun. We would warm up by doing jumping jacks, then line up as a class and do kicks/sweeps across the room and some static exercises. Then we would watch a demo of a technique and then pair off and practice it, or practice a form. Apparently the school was fairly new, as the oldest students were on their third and fourth forms while I was there, which were staff forms. I really wanted a staff, so I tried to learn the first and second forms as quickly as possible. I think I just got there by the time the school closed. There was a pile of weapons there - a couple training swords, a gwan do, the staffs of the students who didn't feel like lugging theirs back and forth, and a three-section staff. I assumed he would teach us those forms when the time came right. We would spar every so often - there was a "free sparring night" every friday, IIRC, but I went to bible study those nights.

Interestingly enough, we were at least somewhat encouraged to cross-train with other martial arts. One guy took some sort of jiu jitsu, another guy had taken goju-ryu karate, etc. The style itself was described as a mix of northern long fist, with a secret kung-fu style from the Sung dynasty or something like that being the other major influnce - Sung from the name of the school was apparently from that source. Maybe that should have tipped me off, but at 14, that just make it sound cooler.

Rudy himself was actually pretty nice, as far as I remember. He was more crass than I was used to - keep in mind that I was and still am a church kid - but he seemed nice to his students. No name calling. His small Asian girlfriend who apparently was a surgeon and therefore could not spar with anybody for fear of damaging her hands was often in class with us, and I don't remember any comments about women, especially in front of her. I do remember him trying to conduct the class in Cantonese. Unfortunately, he had no grasp of the tones, so it sounded awful to me, having heard it all my life.

And his coffee was great, and really strong.

I just can't see how my old sifu, who seemed like a really nice guy and actually appreciated that there was some application in MMA, turned into the Rudy Abel this forum knows. I'm shocked and a little bit shamed to be associated with him.

kwoww
10/09/2007 9:00pm,
Sounds like he's changed a lot since then. I'd be ashamed, too.

Welcome to Bullshido.

P.S. wtf an Asian lacrosse player?

ViciousFlamingo
10/09/2007 9:08pm,

Gtfo. We make good midies.

attakmint
10/09/2007 9:10pm,
Well, I played d until I realized that a combination of slowness and bad knees wasn't good. So now I'm a goalie.

Plus, I'm in California, asians are half of most every squad here.

SuperCollider
10/09/2007 9:16pm,
I think Rudy (aka Kungfu Does Work or KFDW) ended up painting himself into a corner, where he ended up really entering into continued personal attacks and flame wars. He had nowhere to go but to build himself up to defend his KF skills etc. To a certain extent perhaps the evil and depravity of JFS (John Springer) may have had some influence. He seemed to be in cahoots with JFS and (I remember a name) Dale Dugas (spelling might be wrong) who were both called out as being guys using KF as a means of attracting students and self promotion. Their counters were largely to challenge to death match anyone interested and then complain other rules were unfair, while spewing forth expletives indicating their feigned wisdom was only that, fake.

JKDChick
10/09/2007 9:55pm,
Rudy himself was actually pretty nice, as far as I remember. He was more crass than I was used to - keep in mind that I was and still am a church kid - but he seemed nice to his students. No name calling. His small Asian girlfriend who apparently was a surgeon and therefore could not spar with anybody for fear of damaging her hands was often in class with us, and I don't remember any comments about women, especially in front of her. I do remember him trying to conduct the class in Cantonese. Unfortunately, he had no grasp of the tones, so it sounded awful to me, having heard it all my life.

I just can't see how my old sifu, who seemed like a really nice guy and actually appreciated that there was some application in MMA, turned into the Rudy Abel this forum knows. I'm shocked and a little bit shamed to be associated with him.

Just so you know attackmint, Rudy's been absolutely vile to me from day one, envincing problems with any woman with even a little bit of power.

I wouldn't doubt he'd keep his mouth shut around his woman, likely valuing getting laid over expressing himself, but i do think he showed his true colors behind the veil of anonimity.

I.e. He was never a nice guy, he was just hiding it well.

attakmint
10/09/2007 10:18pm,
well, if it's true, he sure fooled me.

It is Fake
10/09/2007 10:46pm,
How many days a week did you train and what was sparring like?

DerAuslander
10/09/2007 10:47pm,

One of my best friends in college was in the Japan National Lacrosse League. Evidently, Lacrosse is huge in Japan. I had a hard time explaining to him why I thought that was hilariously, since 99% of the US doesn't even know what Lacrosse is.

SuperCollider
10/09/2007 10:49pm,
I wouldn't doubt he'd keep his mouth shut around his woman, likely valuing getting laid over expressing himself

Maybe they did a form for this :). If only his monkey style KF taught the 3 monkeys: hear no evil, speak no evil, etc.

I think also a lot of MA instructors put on their game face and are often extra nice to interested noobs. Its the repeat business you want and you get more flies with honey... Even then you will still get only a small number of people hanging around for the long term.

Axelton
10/09/2007 11:30pm,
hmm... keep in mind that I have/had no martial arts experience up until this point (or since, for that matter). So back in 2000, I figured that since I'm Chinese, I should learn a Chinese martial art, and figured that it'd be a good way to get in shape. So I talked to my friend, and joined his school. It was called Sung's Kung Fu. Which confused me, because Rudy is Cuban, and definitely not "Sung." I still have the vest from that tucked away somewhere.

Anyways, I sign up, go to class on Saturday, and it seemed kinda fun. We would warm up by doing jumping jacks, then line up as a class and do kicks/sweeps across the room and some static exercises. Then we would watch a demo of a technique and then pair off and practice it, or practice a form. Apparently the school was fairly new, as the oldest students were on their third and fourth forms while I was there, which were staff forms. I really wanted a staff, so I tried to learn the first and second forms as quickly as possible. I think I just got there by the time the school closed. There was a pile of weapons there - a couple training swords, a gwan do, the staffs of the students who didn't feel like lugging theirs back and forth, and a three-section staff. I assumed he would teach us those forms when the time came right. We would spar every so often - there was a "free sparring night" every friday, IIRC, but I went to bible study those nights.

Interestingly enough, we were at least somewhat encouraged to cross-train with other martial arts. One guy took some sort of jiu jitsu, another guy had taken goju-ryu karate, etc. The style itself was described as a mix of northern long fist, with a secret kung-fu style from the Sung dynasty or something like that being the other major influnce - Sung from the name of the school was apparently from that source. Maybe that should have tipped me off, but at 14, that just make it sound cooler.

It's been said before he's probably a pretty decent person, but just let talk on the internet affect him too deeply.