PDA

View Full Version : HELLO from CHINA

ASHWIX
10/08/2007 9:39pm,
Hello all.
Name's Michael.
I'm a martial artist from New Zealand, but based in Beijing China for the past 11 years.

I have done a variety of different Chinese styles as well as some Boxing, BJJ, and Muay Thai.
My main focus is Shuaijiao though... a traditional form of grappelling that most of the east asian martial arts you see today evolved from. it's is still alive and well in China.

You can see some of the Shuaijiao stuff i come across on my blog: www.shuaijiao.tv
Some of the stuff on Shuaijiao already posted on this forum is my stuff...thats how i got to find out about this forum :-)

I'm also an MMA fan and the commentator for Art of War - China's premier MMA event. Check them out here: www.mmachina.com

Looking forward to meeting all of you!

Keep Smilin'
Michael

TKDBot
10/08/2007 9:41pm,
We knew you could do it! ASHWIX posted, YAY! And if a bot is this rude, just imagine harsh this is gonna be. Hope you're wearing a thick gi.

Sam Browning
10/08/2007 9:57pm,
Welcome Michael, hopefully you'll enjoy your stay here. Previously one of our members got blocked from China even though we don't really discuss Chinese politics. (martial arts politics being another matter entirely.)

slideyfoot
10/09/2007 3:34am,
Welcome to Bullshido!

My main focus is Shuaijiao though... a traditional form of grappelling that most of the east asian martial arts you see today evolved from. it's is still alive and well in China.
In that case, you may be interested in the Chinese Martial Arts (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101) sub-forum on here, if you haven't already checked that part of the site out.

I'm also an MMA fan and the commentator for Art of War - China's premier MMA event. Check them out here: www.mmachina.coml (http://www.mmachina.com)
Cool - do you have any general thoughts on the evolution of MMA in China? Is it likely (or has already?) to fall foul of the same accusations of spectacle over sport some level at the UFC? Also, what is the typical reception to MMA in China - closer to somewhere like the US (lots of political outrage at first, fans booing submissions etc) or a place like Japan (lots of respect from a comparatively quiet, well-informed audience)?