PDA

View Full Version : wbfgr = noob

wbfgr
9/26/2007 11:51am,
Greets or whatever the appropriate social custom.
Yes I am a noob to the forum, goes w/o saying, I digress

I am also a noob to martial arts. I am taking an aerobics class
(col.req.) that incorporates basic kickboxing crap which causes
me frustration on several levels.

Being the geek that I am, I choose the 'research' method.

Being a child of the '50's-'60s a forum-site called "No BS..." appeals to me.
That pretty much sums it up.

WBF :glasses1:

BJJbot
9/26/2007 11:52am,
BULL RUSH ON wbfgr!!!

ViciousFlamingo
9/26/2007 11:59am,
Welcome to Bullshido. There are plenty of posters here who would be happy to help you pick out some good arts to try out.

What do you want to learn a martial art for, and what kind of preferences do you have? (Grappling or striking, standing or ground, etc.)

p_mikos
9/26/2007 12:07pm,
Howdy, I too am a noob. Welcome to the forums!

Where are you from?

wbfgr
9/26/2007 2:38pm,
I could be accused of being a 'Jersey-Girl' but that's inaccurate
because (-3months) all my life I have been spoiled by the
Great Lakes.

What MA style? It is not so much a question of style per se as
priorities & goals.

1. Fight age tooth & nail.
2. Reap maximum mental benefits of physical exertion.
3. Minimize detrimental effects of hypervigilance.
4. Increase stamina & endurance
5. Parse 1-4 into some adult fun (I have forgotton what that is)

I was a dance teacher many moons ago.
The structure of kickboxing moves in my class frustraits
the living crap outa me because to me they are counter-intuitive.
They are not taught, they are demonstraited and then thrown
at us, full tilt.

I put forth an honest, determined effort and leave this class
wanting to hurt something. This feeling lasts for 3-4 hours,
then is replaced by the need to isolate myself to recover.

Has anyone else experienced this attitude shift?
Is is a function of being new to this sort of body movement?
Is is a function of the style of movement. Dance has power and
aggressive moves but not like kickboxing.

Thanks and Hey to the other NOOBs

WBF 8)

ViciousFlamingo
9/26/2007 3:48pm,
You live in Jersey then? Whereabouts?

Usually, people come on here looking for martial arts that are effective for fighting. I notice that you didn't put "learn how to fight" anywhere on your list of priorities, so I'm guessing it's not that important compared with the other things (health benefits, mental benefits, etc.). However, all arts that are effective for fighting will give you health benefits and mental benefits due to the rigors of training. The tradeoff is that these classes will be rougher than those that don't teach you how to fight, because you need to learn to deal with a strong, skilled resisting opponent.

Kickboxing might not be for you. Honestly, I've never been so frustrated with any martial arts class that I've left class wanting to hurt something and I don't think it's such a great sign if this happens to you semi-regularly. But then again, it might be the class and not the art. When you say kickboxing, do you mean shadowboxing, pad work, sparring, or some combination of the three? If it's cardio kickboxing, you might want to try out another school that actually trains fighters, see if that's more up your alley.

Some other arts you might want to consider checking out:
Boxing - a boxing instructor once told me, "boxing is like a dance where you punch your partner." It might be worth it to check it out.
Muay Thai - like kickboxing, but with knee and elbow strikes
Judo - lots of grappling on your feet, the objective being to throw your opponent to the ground
Brazilian jiu-jitsu - lots of grappling on the ground, the objective being to use a joint lock or choke to beat your opponent

If you decide you really don't care whether you learn to fight or not, check out wushu (the acrobatic kind of kung fu), other forms of kung fu (not including wing chun) like tai chi, tae kwon do, or generic karate. Try doing some forms, you might enjoy them.

Hope some of this helps.

wbfgr
9/27/2007 11:29am,
Fighting, sparring, what-have-you does not even make the list
however, I am aware that that is the primary purpose in MA.

Regarding the kick-boxing; it is part of a required college
curriculum. Our school requires a certain number of
"PE" classes for baccalaureate. The class is actually
"Aerobic Conditioning" Silly me, I did not anticipate
re-racking the shoulder to get a grade.

If I had been looking for a school, I would have
chosen a Tai-fill-in-the-blank dicipline. However
both traditional Yoga & Tai-f.i.b. seem to be
more slowly executed than I need for
cardio. So I will look into wushu & give Tai-f.i.b
a second look.

Thanks for the pointers, 'preciate your patience.

WBF 8)
P.S. Vicious Flamingo <- what a hoot! They are
my favorite birds. Born near Camden, lots of us
Polacks still living in the NJ/East PA area.
However, I am a fresh-water fish.

slideyfoot
9/27/2007 2:41pm,
Welcome to Bullshido!

What MA style? It is not so much a question of style per se as
priorities & goals.

1. Fight age tooth & nail.
2. Reap maximum mental benefits of physical exertion.
3. Minimize detrimental effects of hypervigilance.
4. Increase stamina & endurance
5. Parse 1-4 into some adult fun (I have forgotton what that is)

First of all, I'd recommend you take a look at the FAQ (http://www.bullshido.com/articles/finding-a-good-martial-arts-school.html) on finding a good martial arts school. In general, signs to look for are a competitive record, regular heavy contact sparring and 'aliveness' (if you're unfamiliar with the term, Matt Thornton has a long article (http://aliveness101.blogspot.com/2005/07/why-aliveness.html) on the topic describing what it is and why it's important: he is the man most associated with popularising the concept).

If your interest is mainly in striking, the safest option if you want decent training is muay thai (which you'll also see as 'thai boxing'), along with martial arts like boxing and kyokushin karate. That's not to say there aren't good schools within other striking styles, but they tend to vary widely in quality.

If you're more interested in grappling, then BJJ would be an excellent choice, as the strong competitive element and ability-based ranking system generally results in high quality training. A cheaper option is judo, which is also much easier to find - the two styles are closely related, the main difference being that judo normally focuses on throws whereas BJJ is mostly about the ground. For more on judo, read the Bullshido.com article (http://www.bullshido.com/articles/judo-6.html) - there is also an article on BJJ (http://www.bullshido.com/articles/brazilian-jiu-jitsu-style-information-without-the-bs-2.html). SAMBO is another good choice, but even harder to find than BJJ. Then there's wrestling, which is also great training for grappling.

Alternately, you could combine grappling and striking by cross-training in several arts, or at an MMA gym (though technically 'MMA' is a ruleset rather than a specific style). Examples of well known MMA gyms would be Team Quest (http://www.tqfc.com/) and Miletich Fighting Systems (http://miletichnewyork.com/).

Finally, you could try having a look through the dojo reviews (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83) section, which might yield something more specific to your area.