PDA

View Full Version : dojo is great

zander
9/21/2007 5:58pm,
hey. dunno if anyone remembers lol, but i posted about a dojo that was supreme hardcore and yeah, those were clearly rumours.The only person there that is pretty mean is the daughter of the sensei, but she isn't even mean to be honest, she just snaps at people with a vicious tone LOL who doesn't respect the sensei or mess around which i guess is to be expected i guess.
So, I've went there 4 classes, and so far i've learned ippon seoi nage, osoto gari,o goshi and how to breakfall and 3 gatame's (kesa,kata,kami shiho).

So far, we've ne waza'd twice and although i didn't learn anything from him for ground beside the gatame's lol, i do watch MMA and i knew about the guard and i even went for a gogoplata LOL. I ended up just getting his arm in the attempt when he moved his head and he then guided me through an armbar.

So yeah, I've been learning a lot of techniques so far, but I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not to be honest. The class isn't very big (maybe 7,8 people total) and 4 are brown. the rest of the people are aged 8-12 and are green and up. It seems i get a nice bit of attention from the sensei too so that's sweet.

are judo dojo's always this fast paced in terms of learning new techniques and such? I feel like an outcast when I go, only one brown belt around my age and my friend who goes with me occasionally do I talk to, so I'm mostly focusing on training and never clowning around.

BJJbot
9/21/2007 5:59pm,
Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, zander. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

in sorte diabol
9/22/2007 12:27pm,
greetings.and the answer is nooooo.its sounds like mcdojo teaching.you should be doing a lot mor ground work,learning any grips?is the class less then 1-1.2 hours?whats the warm ups like?if you are having fun then stay at it/crappy teachers don't always mean crappy art.just ask if you can do some more specific training.cheers.

ah_dut
9/22/2007 1:25pm,
I don't think it's unusual for Judo dojos not to do Newaza every time. Some I know only do it 2-3 times a month. And considering he's only been 4 times, newaza twice isn't too bad all things being considered

Ke?poFist
9/22/2007 1:27pm,
greetings.and the answer is nooooo.its sounds like mcdojo teaching.you should be doing a lot mor ground work,learning any grips?is the class less then 1-1.2 hours?whats the warm ups like?if you are having fun then stay at it/crappy teachers don't always mean crappy art.just ask if you can do some more specific training.cheers.

why should they be doing more ground work?

IMO I don't have enough information about the class to formulate an opinion. Better to have someone experienced in Judo to check the place out and critique.

Axelton
9/22/2007 2:01pm,

You're a misguided fool.

ViciousFlamingo
9/22/2007 2:31pm,
Glad things worked out. Don't listen to in sorte diabol, he's dropping his stupid everywhere.

And dude, don't do the gogoplata and stuff like that yet when you're on the ground. You should probably just be concentrating on the basics, like what they're teaching you. That goes for standup, too. Also, it's a good way to get pre-emptively Gitmo'ed.

in sorte diabol
9/22/2007 4:33pm,
this from a flme starter..dropping my stupid is what this site is about.drunk fu will win everytime.