PDA

View Full Version : Background Checks?

Pages : [1] 2 3

new2bjj
9/21/2007 5:02pm,
How many instructors/school owners do background checks of a potential student's arrest record? I just ask this because, as we learn more and more effective ways to bust someone up, isn't there some responsibility to NOT teach thugs? Or, do we just hope that the moral teachings or chi cultivation takes care of all the bad intentions?

halfcut
9/21/2007 5:20pm,
Doing background checks on prospective students seems like an expensive waste of time. If someone really wanted to hurt somebody it would probably be more efficient and less time consuming to use a firearm then to use martial arts.

new2bjj
9/21/2007 5:32pm,
IT costs $ 30.00. Wow, that breaks the bank of most schools. Plus, you could probably find out if the guy is a freak just by calling the local police, but that might be too much trouble. Better to train the guy how to do an RNC for when he goes to a bar on the weekends and does his usual "what are you lookin' at" routine. One vote for let the free market decide.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
9/21/2007 6:12pm,
That would be terrible business. Who wants a bunch of strangers to know intimate details about their history?

new2bjj
9/21/2007 6:20pm,
The people that get assualted more competently with the attacker's new enhanced skills. Another vote for the free market. I mention this becuase I once was show ing the basics of TKD to a guy that kept saying he wanted to learn how to defend himself if he ever wound up in jail. I asked "are you gong to commit a crime?". He never came back. Oh, well, that TKD wouldn't have helped much, and I told him if he just wanted to kick ass, take up boxing, as TKD would take too long for asskickery to protect him, if it ever could, from butt rape.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
9/21/2007 6:24pm,
It's not about positive economics so much as your idea is retarded.

I'm for welfare but I'm not for airdropping crates of money into East LA.

new2bjj
9/21/2007 6:28pm,
It's not about positive economics so much as your idea is retarded.

I'm for welfare but I'm not for airdropping crates of money into East LA.

What the **** are you talking about? Are you on welfare or SSI? Christ. Couldn't we get through a few responses from people that owned or ran schools or clubs before you came in with you LSD drenched responses? Where should we airdrop money? What?

Tom Kagan
9/21/2007 6:32pm,
God, you're annoying.

Moved to YMAS.

new2bjj
9/21/2007 6:42pm,
Oh, I'm sorry. I just don't get Mega Jesus. I'm supposed to laugh or have my thoughts provoked?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
9/21/2007 6:44pm,
I JUST WONDER WHAT HOOKED ON PHONICS IS UP TO

You accused me of being a laissez-faire Capitalist because I thought your idea of background checks for martial arts schools was retarded.

ironlurker
9/21/2007 6:46pm,
To make this argument stronger you'd need examples of where schools were held liable in some way for training violent offenders.

JJson
9/21/2007 7:06pm,
I would not sign up at a school that did background checks and I have nothing to hide. It is the principle. We're a free nation. People like privacy.

JJson
9/21/2007 7:13pm,
How many instructors/school owners do background checks of a potential student's arrest record? I just ask this because, as we learn more and more effective ways to bust someone up, isn't there some responsibility to NOT teach thugs? Or, do we just hope that the moral teachings or chi cultivation takes care of all the bad intentions?

There is a better way to deal with this-- Have a code of conduct policy. It is simpler and does not invade anyones privacy.

ffsparky26
9/21/2007 7:19pm,
Our club does, but we are a MMA based combatives club so we go shoot pistols together and do knife work too. It's like RBSD paranoia with aliveness. We require a valid CCW permit, LEO or Mil Creds, or getting a state background check.

You can get in big trouble for having a felon around guns, not shooting just around. So we require the permit/creds.

The 9/11 hijackers trained with a guy named Burt Rodreguiez in FL, CBC Article on 9/11 attackers training (http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/thepilot/story.html)

Burt Rodreguiez trained a couple of them in kickboxing and knife work.

Kid Miracleman
9/21/2007 9:20pm,
I'd feel uncomfortable going to a school that requires a background check before I'm allowed to receive any type of instruction. Do private secondary schools and private universities normally implement such policies? If so, then a martial arts school could probably get away with doing this on account of the precedent set by these private institutions.

Then again, I'm not a lawyer (nor did I attend any private schools), so my opinion probably wouldn't count very much...

new2bjj
9/21/2007 9:21pm,
I like all the answers- I like my privacy, but, at the same time, I worry that some guy that is a bully is going to be even harded to deal with. I'm thinking of it more of in the moral sense, not one more law or liability. We've got enough laws and regulations for some pretty trivial ****, and on the other hand, not enough for the important stuff.