PDA

View Full Version : Hello from new member

TenaciousDD
9/16/2007 5:08pm,
Hello,

I am here because I do not deal in bullshit and a complete lack thereof is exactly what I am currently looking for.

I do not study any martial arts at the moment. I want to. I am hoping that on a no BS site there will be at least a few people who know what they're talking about enough to help me choose the most appropriate martial art for me. No-one around me that I have talked to has suggested anything other than the martial art that they study themselves.

I found this site via Google when I did a search on someone called Lieutenant X promising to imbue me with all the training I'd ever need in a few nanoseconds. Someone should have told him that a nanosecond is Mork's stuntman and then given him a sound slapping.

My reason for researching the 'right' (not interested in arguments about which style is better than which other one; I'm trying to find out what would suit me personally) martial art is that I live pretty much in the middle of nowhere and training anywhere is going to involve a lot of travelling. I do not want to waste someone's time getting them to train me if I'm going to find relatively quickly that it is very unsuitable for me and I do not want to waste what little money I have travelling to one place for however long when I would have been better off elsewhere.

I am five foot four with unusually strong musculature and am very flexible, fast and surefooted. I am interested in a concise and effective martial art to use in self defence when running away fails. I do not give a **** whether anyone else thinks I or the martial art I choose to study are cool or not. I also have three problems that I am hoping discipline and training will help me with: a) I am oversensitive and need to toughen up b) I have very high levels of aggression that I need to channel into something because it is effecting my day to day life and c) following a stroke two and half years ago my balance has been affected and I would like to improve it.

(I do not expect any martial art to act as a magic wand and do all of this for me; I expect to have to work very hard)

Have I come to the right place and can you help me?

GhostOfKimura
9/16/2007 5:09pm,
In spite of what some other web-sites would have you believe, we here at Bullshido.net welcome you, TenaciousDD, with open arms and hope that you will share with us your unique experiences and ideas on the martial arts.... so that we may then make fun of those experiences and ideas.

Axelton
9/16/2007 5:16pm,
Do Choi Kwang do sounds right for you.

rickd929
9/16/2007 5:24pm,
Check out wikipedia for the basics of different martial arts. Hard vs. soft,how much ground ,striking,kicking techniques etc. Do searches to find out what the lower belts learn.You tube has videos on belt tests. Check out the lower rank videos . Picking a m/a because of what you've seen a 4th degree black belt do will be very misleading.Go to the dojos to see the classes. Make sure you would be comfortable there. Searches on this sight are very helpful too.

Virus
9/16/2007 7:24pm,
Do something that's a sport.

breakdown1101
9/17/2007 2:49pm,
brazilian jiu jitsu or thaiboxing

Scrapper
9/17/2007 3:00pm,
Judo, boxing, kickboxing, Brazillian jujitsu, Muay thai, Sambo, any competitive MMA team, San shou, Kyokushin, Greco Roman/folkstyle/freestyle wrestling, Pankration, and any combination of the previous.

Or, you know...search function.

Tonuzaba
9/17/2007 3:08pm,
...I am five foot four with unusually strong musculature and am very flexible, fast and surefooted...Have I come to the right place and can you help me?

Must... not... make... comments... on... internet... date... or... ask... for... pictures...

:tongue3:
Seriously, welcome to Bullshido. Do use the search function. Watch fight videos, check out the school reviews by members - do read around.