PDA

View Full Version : What a strange little club. Opinions please?

Pages : [1] 2

illegalusername
9/11/2007 11:34am,
Yes, i refuse to call them dojos goddamnit.
I've thought about picking up a MA lately, and since the local options pretty much consist of boxing, taido (lol), Wing Chun (also lol) or something they call "chinese mind boxing" (even more lol) and Tae Kwon Do, i picked the latest. Yay for Kuopio :eusa_danc
Now, I was pretty apprehensive since i've read all kinds of abuse hurled at TKD but generally i was pleasantly surprised at the training.
Good Thing Number 1: The people were pretty laid back. There's a bit of ceremony, just to keep the 15-odd people in some kind of order (and look silly while doing it), but nothing overbearing.
Good Thing Number 2: There were people sparring, and all the training had movement and a certain spirit.
Good Thing Number 3: No strict adherence to style. I saw a couple blue belts practicing elbow strikes and when i asked about them they said "They really aren't a part of TKD but they're handy every now and then"
Also, they had a pretty good track record of winning competitions. Especially crushing. Especially the girls. Which kind of scares me.

So, what do you think? Should i stay, or run as far as my feet can carry me?

TKDBot
9/11/2007 11:36am,
In spite of what some other web-sites would have you believe, we here at Bullshido.net welcome you, illegalusername, with open arms and hope that you will share with us your unique experiences and ideas on the martial arts.... so that we may then make fun of those experiences and ideas.

Vince Tortelli
9/11/2007 12:05pm,
Sounds like you found one of the seven good TKD places out there. Congratulations, man.

WhiteShark
9/11/2007 12:24pm,
Where do you live that Taido is available? We have a Taido school near me that has actually produced some good kick boxers and MMA fighters.

illegalusername
9/11/2007 12:36pm,
Kuopio, Finland.
I checked the summaries on the Taido club website and it had an alarming concentration to stances and techniques that make no sense at all from a practical standpoint. Though it would be great excersise of balance and body control.

Only thing i'm a bit apprehensive about in the TKD club is that there are lots of requirements of "move-sets" (katas? WTF do you call them?) to advance in belts. I do know there is one yellow-belt who cannot throw a decent punch to save his life.

Does anyone have any idea what "chinese mind boxing" could be? I think it might be just a glorified kickboxing class, and all their advertisements are just the ordinary "It's a great bodily and mental workout" whamadoodle.

For the record, i'm in pretty damn good shape currently, though i'm currently a 6-foot 140-pound bantamweight bastard.

TKDfan
9/11/2007 1:55pm,
In WTF we call the forms Taeguk Poomse. I happen to be from one of the other six good TKD schools. Hard to find. I found mine on the third try.

illegalusername
9/11/2007 2:17pm,
Forms! That's the word.
I still say they are silly though :copdance:

pauli
9/11/2007 3:12pm,
Does anyone have any idea what "chinese mind boxing" could be?chinese mind boxing is, apparently, the translinguistic abomination also known as "hsing i." fucking chinese.

in sorte diabol
9/11/2007 7:02pm,
greetings.hsing-i is not bad just takes a long time to get good at it.tkd if taught from a good teacher is ok.have you checked the dojo locator,they may have some schools you didn't know about.stay away from shuri karate...its super deadly....have fun in the search.cheers.

kwoww
9/11/2007 8:31pm,
Forms! That's the word.
I still say they are silly though :copdance:
Silly, yes, but fun, cool-looking, and when done properly you get a decent amount of isometric leg strength (not that you'd need it for martial arts...)

Go for it. TKD can be cool if you do it right (which is what that school seems to have going there).

Oh, and welcome.

in sorte diabol
9/11/2007 8:44pm,
yep.a good tkd teacher can be awsome,the problem is all the ata,diamond academys that teach that point rot.just try what you like and have fun.cheers.or you could try drunk fu..very leffective...i think.i do know it makes karaoke better..cheers.

It is Fake
9/11/2007 8:44pm,
greetings.hsing-i is not bad just takes a long time to get good at it.
No it really doesn't. It costs a lot over a long time to get good at it.

T.O.yoyoyo
9/11/2007 8:58pm,
Don't care to comment on this topic, but thought I'd post so I wouldn't have to read all the oversized print on the top of the page. Start the harassment..now!

kwoww
9/11/2007 9:07pm,
Go make your own intro thread. We're not allowed to harass you here.

in sorte diabol
9/12/2007 2:34pm,
jump in,hang on,post allready..cheers.

Feryk
9/12/2007 2:37pm,
Illegal, did you even check out the boxing gym?