PDA

View Full Version : New to forum

Fire123
9/05/2007 1:15pm,
I am New to martial arts. I like this site because it gives honest opinions on certain subjects. My personal background is only 2 months in kung fu. I was taking Wing Chun for like 2 months. I was part of the Wing Chun association our Sifu was Kenneth Chung he is a real nice guy. The dues were only 25 dollars a month which is really cheap. The thing i liked about it was it got me out of the house and I become active again instead of sitting at home. The parts I did not like were that it was to slow. I was told it would take me a whole year to develop my legs. I would stand in the same stance with the newbies to develop our legs and occasionally we would go through the first motion of Wing Chun. The instructors were very nice. The students that had been their for years would come and correct my stance or help the newbies which was really cool. I never got to hit the wooden dummy. The last thing I did not like was the 150 dollar fee for the 2 day seminar given by Ken. Ken had to come down from California he had a philosophy known an as soft approach to Wing Chun and not to be greedy. The thing that bothered me so much was that I was new and it was mandatory to pay and attend the Ken seminars. I felt did not get my money worth for the time he spent teaching me. I must have had a total of 10 minutes of Kens time spent with the new people correcting are stance. I really liked the class but the $150 dollars was not worth it at all for the 10 minutes for him to adjust my stance. I believe the seminars were like 2-3 times a year which is 300 to 450 dollars a year along with the monthly dues. So now I am looking for something better. I would like to know your feelings on what forms are good to study and not waste my time. I am currently in Houston so if you guys know of any good kung fu /martial art styles that are not so dam expensive.
please feel free to let me know. :cya:

AikidoBot
9/05/2007 1:16pm,
We knew you could do it! Fire123 posted, YAY! And if a bot is this rude, just imagine harsh this is gonna be. Hope you're wearing a thick gi.

OmegaBot
9/05/2007 1:16pm,
Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, Fire123. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.