PDA

View Full Version : My War Club

Pages : [1] 2

Scut Farkus
9/03/2007 9:53pm,
I thought I'd post a few pics of this mutha'. I was on vacation with the wife a few years ago, and got roped into shopping one afternoon. There was about a mile long stretch of street lined with one overpriced specialty shop after another. I had the displeasure of visiting them all.

Anyway, one of the shops sold African antiques and imports. I found this club there and snatched it up. It was labeled as a Maasai War Club, and the tag said it was made from the root of some tree which I can't remember the name of. My GoogleFu has revealed that it's called a Rungu and is used for throwing and general beatings about the head, neck, and shoulders.

I don't know if it really came from Africa or was carved by some dude in Topeka. I don't know if it's an antique or not. And I don't know if it's made from the root of some African tree like the tag said. What I do know is that it's hard as hell and very heavy for it's size. And there's no doubt it's a vicious weapon. The force you can generate with this thing is unreal. I guess because all the weight is at one end and the length is just right. I can honestly say I think I'd rather get hit by a hammer or baseball bat than this thing. I don't know how rare they are. I'd be interested to hear from anybody else who's held one to see what they thought.

Permalost
9/03/2007 10:41pm,
Cool. My brother used to have a rungu. The color was different because it wasn't stained or anything, but it pretty much looked like that.

Olorin
9/04/2007 12:46am,
I have always wanted a mace, don't know why...

http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/medium/pole193a.jpg

Tyrsmann
9/04/2007 3:56am,
I thought I'd post a few pics of this mutha'. I was on vacation with the wife a few years ago, and got roped into shopping one afternoon. There was about a mile long stretch of street lined with one overpriced specialty shop after another. I had the displeasure of visiting them all.

Anyway, one of the shops sold African antiques and imports. I found this club there and snatched it up. It was labeled as a Maasai War Club, and the tag said it was made from the root of some tree which I can't remember the name of. My GoogleFu has revealed that it's called a Rungu and is used for throwing and general beatings about the head, neck, and shoulders.

I don't know if it really came from Africa or was carved by some dude in Topeka. I don't know if it's an antique or not. And I don't know if it's made from the root of some African tree like the tag said. What I do know is that it's hard as hell and very heavy for it's size. And there's no doubt it's a vicious weapon. The force you can generate with this thing is unreal. I guess because all the weight is at one end and the length is just right. I can honestly say I think I'd rather get hit by a hammer or baseball bat than this thing. I don't know how rare they are. I'd be interested to hear from anybody else who's held one to see what they thought.

I had a rungu once, I smashed a thick wine bottle with it . Careful to who you show it to though, because the resemblance it bears to a phallus could get you some weird looks from the less informed. Otherwise, yeah rungus are some painful fuckers. Especially if you hit someone in a joint with the pointy part of the ball. Though mine might've been a tad smaller then yours though. As to authenticity I doubt it, mine said made in vietnam.
How the hell a masai war club is made in vietnam, don't know.

Scut Farkus
9/04/2007 7:55am,
I had a rungu once, I smashed a thick wine bottle with it . Careful to who you show it to though, because the resemblance it bears to a phallus could get you some weird looks from the less informed. Otherwise, yeah rungus are some painful fuckers. Especially if you hit someone in a joint with the pointy part of the ball. Though mine might've been a tad smaller then yours though. As to authenticity I doubt it, mine said made in vietnam.
How the hell a masai war club is made in vietnam, don't know.

Yeah, like I said, I don't know about the authenticity. It doesn't have any markings like "made in Vietnam" or anything like that, though. It was definitely hand carved by somebody. And yes, it does resemble a phallus, except much smaller than my own.

Neildo
9/04/2007 10:28am,
I have a murder-myster book written by a local author (Michael Slade) in which some crazy guy kills a bunch of dudes with one of those things by clubbing them over the nead and caving in their skulls. I can't remember what the books title is, but I'll check for you when i get home.

That is exactly how i pictured it in my mind when the author described it.

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Slade ; It's interesting in it's own right.

The book i'm talking about is titled "Zombie" here, but mine is titled "Evil Eye".

I recommend all the Slade books, if you're into murder-mystey novels. They're fun, and way better than anything on television.

Scut Farkus
9/04/2007 11:46am,
I have a murder-myster book written by a local author (Michael Slade) in which some crazy guy kills a bunch of dudes with one of those things by clubbing them over the nead and caving in their skulls. I can't remember what the books title is, but I'll check for you when i get home.

That is exactly how i pictured it in my mind when the author described it.

Interesting. Thanks.

adouglasmhor
9/04/2007 2:35pm,
Mines made of high impact polypropylene and made in the US
http://static.zoovy.com/img/888knivesrus/W150-H150-Bffffff/african_walking_stick.jpg

chemistry
9/05/2007 12:52pm,
I don't know if it really came from Africa or was carved by some dude in Topeka. I don't know if it's an antique or not. And I don't know if it's made from the root of some African tree like the tag said.

Beautiful wood indeed.

There are all sorts of really hard, dense woods out there, that can make really fine weapons. If that wood is anything the likes of African ebony, Ipe, etc., then I wouldn't be surprised to see that wooden weapon actually sink in water.

The way I see it, it really shouldn't matter whether it actually came from Africa or not. You have yourself one fine wooden weapon, and should be proud of owning it.

God forbid, you ever have to use it, but I feel sorry for the poor sap whose head gets caved in with a single blow of that club.

Eddie Hardon
9/06/2007 9:16am,
I was in South Africa last year - a JJ Tournament and Seminar - and we did some travelling. You could buy one of those things at "cultural workhops" along the Highway(s). African carvings, beads etc.

Looks to me like a genuine SA Knockberrie. Some of our group bought them.

Be careful with it down the pub.

Scut Farkus
9/06/2007 11:50am,
If that wood is anything the likes of African ebony, Ipe, etc., then I wouldn't be surprised to see that wooden weapon actually sink in water.

That never even crossed my mind. I'm curious now. I'll have to try it out in the tub.

Carpe Noctem
9/06/2007 12:11pm,
****, I want one of those gunstock clubs from "Last of the Mohicans". Chingachgook FTW.

Permalost
9/07/2007 1:53am,
****, I want one of those gunstock clubs from "Last of the Mohicans". Chingachgook FTW.
Cold Steel recently started making one:
http://www.coldsteel.com/92pgs.html
Also, just for fun, watch this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-XfM8624OQ

chemistry
9/07/2007 10:21am,
That never even crossed my mind. I'm curious now. I'll have to try it out in the tub.

Yeah, it's a neat experiment you can try, just by wrapping it in some plastic, and then seeing if it sinks in water.

Only the densest woods can do this, such as Ipe, Lignum Vitae, etc.

bad credit
9/07/2007 4:37pm,
I've been thinking of buying a wooden pick handle (mattock?) and driving some of those huge 10 inch nails through it to make a ghetto morningstar. A HS bud of mine had an aluminum baseball bat with two holes drilled through it and rusty barbed wire ran through the holes and around the head of the bat. Hmmm, maybe I should just make one of those.

Jim_Jude
9/07/2007 10:40pm,
It looks authentic. Mine has the handle end roughed up tho, in a spiral pattern kinda like some really loose threading.
I just got mine back from my dad, along with my blackthorn Shillelagh, and they were both dried out & the heads got cracked. Talk about a bummer...
I've been thinking about soaking them in tung oil & hoping to everything that's holy that they just fix themselves. Anyone have any suggestions?
I'm especially bummed since I don't know where I can get a real blackthorn Shillelagh thats cane length.