PDA

View Full Version : Aikido Instructor Admits Shortcomings

Pages : [1] 2

musicalmike235
9/01/2007 2:05pm,
So I was board so I decided to go watch the USF Aikido Club. Before they started, I was talking to the Aikido Instructer about how I had a background in wrestling. He was trying to get me to take a class. I said that I was just going to watch for today.

Anyway, later, they were practicing some defence to a face punch. After they were done practicing, I went over to instructer, who was at the moment talking to an assistent. I asked them if they could demonstrate that last technique at full speed. The following conversation insued. Bare in mind that I was NOT trying to start trouble.

Me: I was wondering, what would that technique you were just drilling look like at full speed?

Assistent: It would probably look like someone knew what they were doing.

*** Instructer laughs at assistent's comment ***

Me: What I mean is, in a real fight, its going to be a lot quicker than you were going at. Now please understand I am not trying to start trouble, but I am just curious as to what that move would look like in a real fight.

Instructor: Michael, you said you are a grappler. Right?

Me: Yes...
(And this is where things get interesting)

Instructor: Michael. Truth be told, the stuff you do in when you practice grappling is closer to a real fight then what we do...

Me: Um...

Instructor: ...We are aware of this, however, we practice Aikido because we like the traditional aspect of it.
After I make sure that I infact heard him right, I again reiterated that I was not just there trying to start stuff. He was receptive to this, and invited me to continue watching if I so wanted to.

Frank White
9/01/2007 2:12pm,
Good for you both. He was honest. Alot of Taichi instructors dont know how to fight either. They do it for health reasons. More power to em if they are honest about it.

vigilus
9/01/2007 2:50pm,
Oddly enough I was watching the whole thing. After the class I had a conversation with the instructor.

Me:What gives dude, why didn't you show that kid what it looks like at full speed. You know, what it's like in a real fight. KIAI!

Instructor:Well as you obviously know Guiltyspark-san, any aikido technique performed at full speed is simply too dangerous.

Me: Huh?

Instructor: Ya you know, too deadly. I told him that stuff so he would be satasified and leave without getting hurt. I was performing verbal aikido...

Me: Really? I thought that whole too deadly crap was just something OTHER people say that they hear from aikido students in an attempt to make fun of them.

Instructor: **laughing** Ya your right. He was a weird harold. Did you hear how he talked? "Now please understand I am not trying to start trouble, but I am just curious as to what that move would look like in a real fight."Honestly, who fucking talks like that? Do *YOU* want to teach someone like that our most guarded secrets? Or even touch him? No? I didn't think so.
I said he could stay but I knew he'd race home to post what happened.

Me: Touche

Permalost
9/01/2007 5:14pm,
Um, shouldn't ANY instructor of ANY style admit to the shortcomings of their art?

TheBigSwede
9/02/2007 2:05pm,
Um, shouldn't ANY instructor of ANY style admit to the shortcomings of their art?

They should. However, I think those who rarely or never practise at full speed and/or power are unaware of the shortcomings and/or overestimate their own proficiency.

Fantasy Warrior
9/02/2007 2:29pm,
Tae Kwon Do has no shortcomings

WorldWarCheese
9/02/2007 2:35pm,
That Aikido instructor is my new TMA Hero. They enjoy the MA and think it can help, but aren't deluding themselves into thinking they're "t3h d34dly". I can only hope his mentality rubs off on others. I would dislike Aikido a lot less if they didn't think they were the best thing since the Beatles and Sliced Bread.

WorldWarCheese
9/02/2007 2:36pm,
Judo has no shortcomings

Fixed that for yeah.:user:

musicalmike235
9/02/2007 3:50pm,
It is my opinion there is that no martial art has no shortcomings. Every martial art was created by [an] imperfect being(s) and is therefore itself imperfect.

Munacra
9/02/2007 3:57pm,
It is my opinion there is that no martial art has no shortcomings. Every martial art was created by [an] imperfect being(s) and is therefore itself imperfect.

How about this bad mofo?

http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/01/jesuskarate1.jpg

vigilus
9/02/2007 4:15pm,
What are you taking in University Musical Mike? Music?

musicalmike235
9/02/2007 4:17pm,
What are you taking in University Musical Mike? Music? Music is just a hobby of mine. I am actually taking Computer Science.

vigilus
9/02/2007 4:27pm,
Cool.

Virus
9/02/2007 4:37pm,
Aikido instructor admits shortcomings. Public holiday declared.

Rock Ape
9/02/2007 5:01pm,
Aikido instructor admits shortcomings. Public holiday declared.It's a frikken' year long holiday here then..

"Aikido instructor admits shortcomings"... Read my posts on this forum.

pauli
9/02/2007 5:09pm,
breaking news, adult found to behave as such?