PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Lee...Good/Bad/MMA ??

Pages : [1] 2

stuka1166
8/31/2007 11:48pm,
Being a Newbie, I was warned about mentioning Bruce Lee in the wrong context.

So being a Newbie makes me raise a few questions:

1) Is Bruce Lee looked upon in a positive or negative manner here in the Bulllshido forums and why ??

2) Since Bruce Lee adopted other forms of Martial Arts and styles into his own...Could he be considered to be one of the first mixed martial artists ??

Thanks !!!

AikidoBot
8/31/2007 11:49pm,
We knew you could do it! stuka1166 posted, YAY! And if a bot is this rude, just imagine harsh this is gonna be. Hope you're wearing a thick gi.

Ke?poFist
9/01/2007 12:04am,

1) Is Bruce Lee looked upon in a positive or negative manner here in the Bulllshido forums and why ??

Some see it positive, some see it negative. I see it positive

2) Since Bruce Lee adopted other forms of Martial Arts and styles into his own...Could he be considered to be one of the first mixed martial artists ??

Thanks !!!

MMA has existed since the Ancient Greeks if not earlier. I see his ideas as the correct "philosophy" in training for today, irregardless on whether you consider what he did "MMA" or not.

Welcome to the site.

Omega Supreme
9/01/2007 12:31am,
Bruce Lee's the man you're a *****. No he would not be considered the first MMA'er.

syberia
9/01/2007 2:08am,

Thanks !!!

People look at him differently. Depending on whether you're talking about his individual philosophy, his style, his roots or his impact on the Martial Arts or the Movie industry.

In general though i have a feeling most people think he's cool, just dont be blinded by what the media and all the BS surrounding him say.

JustaFighter
9/01/2007 2:09am,
Bruce Lee was just a person who tried to be an effective fighter by his own understandings. Just keep in mind that there are way better fighters today then he ever was in which to learn from or look up to.

Omega's right. Mixing martial arts has always been done. Bruce Lee just had a better marketing machine behind him. Which have brought about good and bad results in the MA community.

Frank White
9/01/2007 2:47am,
Bruce Lee is The Man and everyone knows it.

goofus lee
9/01/2007 5:10am,
Naaaaah, not the man. Just a man. Granted, he was a very charismatic man. He changed Hong Kong cinema. He had some good ideas. He was human like the you and me. Only better. And he had an Atari game based on him too.

Craigypooh
9/01/2007 6:31am,
He was first man to bring martial arts to a mass audience in the USA. Many great martial artists would not be doing martial arts today if it wasn't for Bruce Lee.

People who think badly of Bruce Lee do so because they object to the way he is idolised by others, not because they think he was a bad martial artist.

JustaFighter
9/01/2007 11:33am,
People who think badly of Bruce Lee do so because they object to the way he is idolised by others, not because they think he was a bad martial artist.

Not really. I got into MMA because of the writings of Bruce Lee, and at first I did idolised him for awhile. However, I've grown up since then and realised that what BL was doing/teaching was sub-par by today's standards of being a good fighter.

Reaching a realization of who BL really was is not thinking badly of him.

It is Fake
9/01/2007 12:26pm,
He was first man to bring martial arts to a mass audience in the USA. Many great martial artists would not be doing martial arts today if it wasn't for Bruce Lee.

Not completely true. He became the lightning rod for the publicity. He opened the door for movies in America.

I agree with the second part. He gets more **** for what others have said in his name.

Craigypooh
9/01/2007 12:28pm,
If you got into MMA because of Bruce Lee, then I'd say that's another win for Bruce Lee.

In my oppinion it's very difficult to judge how his martial arts skills would compare by today's standards. A bit like those fruitless Ali/Marciano debates.

JustaFighter
9/01/2007 4:32pm,
[quote=Craigypooh]If you got into MMA because of Bruce Lee, then I'd say that's another win for Bruce Lee.quote]

Interesting story behind that...

I first went to look up a JKD instructor when I wanted to get into MA training and found one who was training in a gym just down the road. When I went there there was a MMA instructor with him. Whenever I saw these two spar the MMA instructor always won. So I decided to learn from him.

MMA instructor was Troy O'connor and the JKD instructor was Tye Cannon. Both really good talented men and I believe they're still friends today.

AbeVargas
9/01/2007 4:50pm,
irregardless

AAAAh! The most annoying non-word in the english language.

Anyway, I saw a documentary a while back where they extensively interviewed Bruce Lee's wife. She mentioned how Bruce always despised martial arts demonstrations where'd they perform "neat" tricks and unrealistic combat situations. I personally believe Bruce Lee knew a little more than his contemporaries as to what constituted an effective fighting style. Great man in his own time.

Craigypooh
9/01/2007 6:45pm,
Picking the right martial arts teacher is always tricky. Chosing the best fighter is probably a good strategy. Then again, watching TUF 5, BJ Penn was obviously the better fighter but Jens Pulver seemed like the better teacher.

boondock lee
9/01/2007 11:17pm,
OK, Bruce Lee is a legend and no one forget that. The man advocated ideas that today seem like common sense( physical conditioning, cross training, etc) but were radical ideas back in the 60's. Not to mention his unique philosophies about life and fighting! But all sucking up aside, as long as you don't insult his memory then u r good.
AS for him being the first MMA guy, well that is really a matter of opinion. Dana White did say that Bruce Lee is the father of MMA and for good reason. Bruce Lee recognized the importance of physical conditioning(an aspect that all fighters do today), he used boxing punches in his fighting style and used what was useful from other styles and wing chun to make his own style (cross training in various styles in virtually done by everyone in MMA). So some of the practices that bruce used are used by MMA. But he was still an kung fu man, not an MMA fighter. Check out the link to learn more info on bruce.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Lee#Bruce_Lee_and_popular_culture