PDA

View Full Version : Muay Thai in South Australia

KaneElson
8/30/2007 2:45am,
Hey, I have decided to give MT a shot but now I have to find a decent gym.

What I have found so far:
Grandmaster Leong (http://www.grandmasterleong.com) - "Grandmaster Leong has trained under Grandmaster Yuttanna Wongbandue, who is the head instructor of the World Muay Thai association in Bangkok Thailand. Grandmaster Leong has attained a 9th Khan(Gold Mongkol) in Muay Thai."

Nino Pilla (http://ninopilla.com/) - Nothing about their instructors on their website so I am waiting for a reply to my email.

They young lions (http://www.theyounglions.net/home.htm) - "Owned and run by Instructor / Trainer Ravinder Sidhu"

Extreme combat Academy (http://www.extremecombat.com.au/disciplines.html)

The young lions sounds like the best IMHO but then my opinion isn't all that strong as I know very little about MT. Ravinder's BIO sounds quite impressive http://www.theyounglions.net/rav.htm

Any reccomendations from that list or know of any different/better locations in Adelaide ? Preferably CBD or south east direction.

Cheers.

AikidoBot
8/30/2007 2:46am,
Welcome aboard, KaneElson! The Bullshido staff would welcome you personally, but the thing is they’re busy keeping the peace, so they’ve apointed me, a bot, to pat you on the back and assure you that in no way will you be harmed during your stay here at BS.net. Your views on the martial arts, your philosphy, maybe even your entire reason for being will be challenged, shattered, reorganized, melted down, and forged into something new and shiny, but we swear it will only hurt a little bit… at first.

KaneElson
8/31/2007 4:17am,
Just got a reply from Nino

Thanks for your enquiry Kane.
Our Thai teachers name is "Ajarn Chai Sirisute"
Our Thai classes are taught by Instructors who are ranked directly
with Ajarn Chai or are Assistant Instructors
awaiting to sit the Instructors test.
Our Assistant Instructors need to teach so that they get the
experience in being an Instructor.
If you have never done Muay Thai, before, please come and try a free
lesson.
Regards
Nino Pilla

He is obviously the president of the TBA so it is obviously quality instruction. I might go check out their classes.

I still want to check out The young lions but unless it turns out to be of vastly superior quality to the options in town it isn't worth the extra effort in getting public transport there. Riding there is about the same distance but I like catching public transport.

and I still need go check out ABS aswell.

Kane.

angryangel
9/02/2007 8:26am,
Hi there Kane!

I have only trained at Isohealth on Henley Beach Rd and ABS in the city.

I currently train at Isohealth which while not strictly muay thai would be a great base for stand-up. Initial focus is the "crazy monkey" style defence coupled with a focus on the clinch (from both the striking and crappling perspectives). I find training there is great fun with light sparring occuring almost from the first class (which is made possible by the efficiency of the CM defence). Kicks are also addressed but the focus is definately punching and clinch.

We recently moved location to a larger facility (just off of Henley Beach Road) on northcote street. Group classes are a good size offering the benefits of partnering with people with different sizes and strengths while not being lost in the crowd in terms of receiving instruction. The classes have a heavy focus on aliveness but doing so safely. This approach to training suits me and my goals. The guys there are universally helpful, with a good attitude to training. Jits classes are also available (don't be one of those stand-up guys that refuses to roll! :)

Matt is a great coach who has a fine eye for picking up the details that when addressed can really add to your game. His passion for improving people's game is really reflected in the level of effort he puts in for everyone in his classes. He seems to never "coast" through a class nor simply "go through the motions". Top bloke.

When I was training at ABS they had a MT class on most nights and it is located in the city (convenient for many) in a well-sized facility including a ring. There is a grading structure, which would be considered unusual by some. There are pros and cons to such an approach.

Classes I attended had a strong thai pad focus. Sometimes the classes can get quite large so it is hard to get special attention if you are new and learning the ropes. I have never seen new-starters thrown in the deep end sparring wise, though I have seen sparring get quite intense there.

Adam, the main instructor and owner of the gym is a good guy and very helpful. He organises regular training trips to Thailand.

I found when I was training there they did not focus a lot on the clinch (which did not suit me) and adopted the light (tapity-tapity) front leg stance (which I am also not a fan of). I prefer a more grounded hips square stance (though this is probably hourses for courses). Kicking received more atttention than striking with the hands which again was not my cup of tea personally.

Defending punches was probably under-cooked a bit as well in my opinion. I also prefer more aliveness in my training.

I have not trained at the other locations you mentioned. Something I would note however is that there are great advantages to training at a gym where both stand-up/ clinch and ground classes are offered. With the prevelance of gyms that offer both (eg Isohealth, ABS and at least the Nino Pilla gym you listed above) there is no excuse for going to a stand-up only gym.

As you can probably tell, I am a big fan of Isohealth (and more the merrier so come down and give it a go), but appreciate that different people are looking for different things in their training and it may not be for you. So best thing is to check em all out and see which fits you best.

Good luck in finding a place to train! And *cough* don't forget your ground-game.

Oh yeah, there is a place on Henley Beach Rd called "fight club", did not see that on your list. I do not know anything about it but thought I better raise it.

KaneElson
9/02/2007 8:52am,
Woah, thanks for the exhaustive rundown on your knowledge of gyms in Adelaide. I didn't expect you to put that much effort into helping me. Thanks!

I have heard good things about IsoHealth from someone else but as you say they don't have a Muay Thai session as such and that is really what I am looking for.

There is a grading structure, which would be considered unusual by some. There are pros and cons to such an approach.
I'm interested in what you mean by this if you could give a brief explenation it would be great. Don't put too much effort in this time :P

Also I'm trying to picture your stance descriptions in my head. From what I have read the "official" muay thai stance is front foot facing forwards and body and back foot at 45 degrees to the front foot. Is that what they do at ABS?

Don't put to much effort into your replies. I will probably be checking out abs on thursday so I guess I will see what you are talking about then.

I'm not scared of grappling :P .. I am just not interested in it at this point of time. Atleast untill I get a grounding in MT. I am really doing this for fitness and fun at this point in time so having a well rounded game isn't essential. If I find myself becoming good I may look into rounding off my skills with some BJJ or something.

Cheers again for your help it has helped alot !!!!

PS: Do you have facebook (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=882900525)? I'd like to get some more people from Adelaide on there.

angryangel
9/03/2007 8:14am,
No probs. Happy to help. Just figure it is a good thing to save people some leg work. Karma will pay me back via a x lotto ticket some time...

Plus if I can an opportunity to pimp my gym I will! :)

Muay Thai gyms often do not have a grading structure as you would find in karate. Some, like ABS have coloured arm bands instead of belts. Personally I think it takes away from the purity of the art, can be exploited to make the gym more $ and just panders to the western need for public recognition.

This is simply my opinion though. I am sure some people really like the structure that a grading system provides.

Typically it is just a test to see how many techniques one has remembered. Gradings usually do not test the ability to apply the techniques under pressure. I prefer the notion of "evaluations" rather than gradings.

At the end of the day an individual and their coach should be able to evaluate their progress against themselves (ie am I better today then I was yesterday) and people you train with (am I getting tagged less, can I tag others more).

Regarding stances, the two varieties I have seen are both generally of the front foot fwd, back foot pointing out at 45 degrees (as you described) but ABS promotes a very light front foot (the toes almost tap on the ground). This keeps the front leg light to check kicks and throw fast teeps.

Alternatively the stance can be more grounded, still mobile but the weight is more evenly distributed, the focus is on a square hips and hunched shoulders defending the chin. It is similar to a boxing stance. The way it was explained to me by Rodney King is that this stance is for destroying things and the other stance is for scoring points (ie power vs speed).

Personally I prefer the more grounded stance - I get better power and it is easier to sprawl from.

MT is a great way to to keep/ get fit. ABS will have some good conditioning to kick off too.

Don't be afraid to check out isohealth though, people train there for fun and fitness too mate!