PDA

View Full Version : Why we do, What we do

Ronin
9/26/2003 8:10am,
As a newbie, I thought this would be a nice why to introduce myself.
Why do we do, what we do?
Be it Karate, Judo, Brasilian jujutsu, MMA, Taijiquan, etc.
We all have reasons for doing it, or at least we should.
Why we do the art we choose is really the defining reason on HOW we do it.
DO we do it for sport? for the artistic vale? for exercise? to keep or head attached to our necks??
Why we do it also dictates what we do, if we are looking for something to give us a workout, we may not coose Taiji for example, if we are looking for something to relax us, we probably would not choose any of the full contact styles.
I can only speak for myself:
I started when I was 8, I am 34 now ( no grandpa jokes please).
I was raised in Europe, Karate was my first art ( Kyokushinkai)and in europe in the 70s and 80s, karate training meant fighting.
Boxed as a teenager ( under 18 amat. Eurpean lightweight champion)
Moved to Canada and joined the Military ( Airborne active duty Balkans).
University ( Degree in Physics, major bio mechanics)
I bounced while in university ( yeah, great way to find out what works, the hard way ).
Worked in asia for a year ( boy did I see some serious **** there).
Currently I work for a private security firm ( excutive protection).
Arts I have studied:
Karate, Boxing, Jujutsu, Muay Thai, Hung Gar, Kenjutsu, etc.
Systems I have be exposed to: SCARS, Real Fighting ( Peyton Quinn).
I can tell you this:
As a an ex-military, ex-bouncer who stands at 5'-6" and weights 170lbs, I took martial arts for 1 reason: SURVIVAL
My humble opinion:
Size does NOT matter THAT much.
LEARN to hit like you mean it.
LEARN to PROS and CONS of grappling.
No matter how good you are, there is ALWAYS someone BETTER !!!
That is my opinion.
Nice to be here.

PizDoff
9/26/2003 8:31am,
Welcome, please register with DRD for access to the senior citizen's forum.

Are you in Canada now?

--
Hard Work, Patience, Dedication
You may be beaten but never broken.

http://www.octanecreative.com/Parodyville/as_seen/pumkin.jpg

blankslate
9/26/2003 8:49am,
Ronin, good stuff, we just did this topic though "why do you really train" and you may get joked--don't take it personal.

Before I answered something like 'on the path to self protection and self perfection'...and chicks and trophies.

Today, I'll say that I'm compensating for self esteem problems and revenge on that second grade bully.

What did you think of SCARS? (please post it as a new Topic!)

--------------------------
Stay in your center.
R. Masters

Ronin
9/26/2003 8:55am,
Thanks for the welcome guys :)
I am working on a couple of new posts:
One on the physics and biomechanics of martial arts strikes, I have information on various stidies as to the force of martials arts and boxing strikes, I also have info on the impact tolerances of various body parts ( how much force is needed to fracture a jaw for example).
As for my opinion on scars....
I will make a new post as you suggest.

Ronin
9/26/2003 8:55am,
Thanks for the welcome guys :)
I am working on a couple of new posts:
One on the physics and biomechanics of martial arts strikes, I have information on various studies as to the force of martials arts and boxing strikes, I also have info on the impact tolerances of various body parts ( how much force is needed to fracture a jaw for example).
As for my opinion on scars....
I will make a new post as you suggest.

WhiteShark
9/26/2003 9:12am,
I don't remember why I trained any of the times that I dabbled as a kid but I do know how I started again about 3 years ago.

It was a new years resolution! I promised myself I would get back into Muay Thai and have a fight. I had trained intensely for about 6 months a few years earlier but I chickened out on fighting and stopped going. After 6 mo. my instructor was really pressuring me to fight. So I kinda got back into it to put away some inner demons. Well I had a few fights in Muay Thai and Full-contact Karate then a few months ago I broke my arm in a fight(a poorly block round kick to the head). That put me out for awhile and during my down time I did a lot of soul searching. I realized that I had put those demons away a long time ago. What I really wanted to do was go back and train because I have FUN doing it. A few weeks ago I had my first Fight since I broke my arm it felt great and my whole gym did really well at the tournament. I was having FUN again.

Edited by - WhiteShark on September 26 2003 09:15:28

kismasher
9/26/2003 9:25am,
i train in aikido. i do it because it is enjoyable and helps me channel away work related aggression and stress. also, i live in a small town and there is not a damn thing to do. i don't really care about fighting aspect or lack of in aikido.

for fighting purposes i have a black belt in sneaker fu.

did you take your metamucil this morning ronin?

Ronin
9/26/2003 9:28am,
In the end if we are not enjoying what we are doing, we won't last very long doing it, will we?
Its good to put those demons where they belong.
Every martial artist needs to "grow up", to mature, to find the reason to do it that will last till we are old and grey.
It seems that you have, well done.

PizDoff
9/26/2003 10:48am,
Are you in Canada now?

--

Ronin
9/26/2003 11:01am,
Yes, I am still in good old Canada, eh?
In the GTA area.

Greese
9/26/2003 12:07pm,
I do it because it is hard. I can normally walk into most things and do very well at them with little effort. Judo and Jui-Jitsu are not like that which makes them very interesting and exciting to me.

Ronin
9/26/2003 12:17pm,
Nothing worthwhile was ever easy.
One thing most martial artist have in common, we all love a challenge.

PizDoff
9/26/2003 6:01pm,
Area EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!?!?!?!?!

I'm in Guelph doing university right now (as per my profile) but we have a once in a while GTA meeting with bullshido people.

We all go suplex Crimson Tiger.

--