PDA

View Full Version : Reputable Martial Arts schools in Syracuse, NY?

cristoforo
8/18/2007 6:23pm,
Does anyone know of any good schools in the Syracuse or central NY area? I did a search on this site saw that there was an MMA school in Cortland but that is still quite a drive, especially with the winters we have. I would love to go to a school that emphasizes grappling and effective fighting techniques.

Most of the schools we have here are McDojos. I made the mistake of going to one of our biggest McDojos, Masters of Karate, in high school about 10 years ago. Check out their website and you will see what I mean. I signed up for a one year contract and by the end of the year, I was a brown belt. Plus, they charged $40 for each belt test and there were many half belts. Now that I am older and, hopefully, wiser, I want to choose a reputable school and style.

Also, this website has been amazing. I just never realized the universal business practices used by many dojos. It is also disheartening to see how corporate greed overcomes morals and ethics, especially in martial arts where honor is suppose to be the highest order.

GhostOfKimura
8/18/2007 6:24pm,
BULL RUSH ON cristoforo!!!

bobyclumsyninja
8/18/2007 8:08pm,
welcome to the site. Don't be afraid to use the search function up top, to find some of these things. One of our members, Kempofist, trains at a good school near you. try to get in touch with him.

If you check the forums, you'll see some areas for serious stuff, some for fun (YMAS and Trollshido are comedy mostly, lightly moderated only) Someone here will be able to help you.

enjoy, THE GREATEST SITE IN THE PLANET"S HISTORY!!