PDA

View Full Version : Can you say newb?

blanked
8/16/2007 8:22pm,
Hey all, new poster here. Been doing Shotokan karate for 15 years (I'm 20) and I have recently decided to broaden my horizons. I believe that Shotokan is a viable art, only, not the way it is currently taught. Kata is great, but the meaning of the moves has become so hidden tha people think it's useless. The drills we have are great for learning basics like learning how to move correctly and how to use your hip. But I want more.

I got over the 'My art is better than your's" mental road block some time ago (something I think the majority of folks go through) and am seeking out people that can help me if only by being other MA enthusiasts.

My instructor is a fairly unorthodox black belt, and I approached him with my current concerns. He's helping me with my stand up game, using his boxing and kick boxing knowledge to help me improve. But I want more.

Grappling seems like the next step, what with my stand up going in the right direction. But judo or BJJ? Or if i go with that thought of doing Muay Thai? I loved grappling (wrestling was my favorite sport in high school, too bad I couldn't keep my school **** together as well as do wrestling) and Southern California is home to plenty of good schools from what i here.

Well, ****, this came out a bit longer than I thought it would. Sorry about that. Just wanted to give a nice full introduction, maybe shed some light onto why I joined up here.

GhostOfKimura
8/16/2007 8:23pm,
Welcome aboard, blanked! The Bullshido staff would welcome you personally, but the thing is they’re busy keeping the peace, so they’ve apointed me, a bot, to pat you on the back and assure you that in no way will you be harmed during your stay here at BS.net. Your views on the martial arts, your philosphy, maybe even your entire reason for being will be challenged, shattered, reorganized, melted down, and forged into something new and shiny, but we swear it will only hurt a little bit… at first.

blanked
8/16/2007 8:42pm,
Well I did come here for a change in my point of view. Oh and out of curiosity, how shiny will the new me be?

fes_fsa
8/16/2007 8:53pm,
if you want to grapple, grapple. if you wanna strike, strike.

just do what you love.... and welcome to bullshido.

where in southern CA are you located? maybe somebody here can help you find a few schools to try out.

blanked
8/16/2007 9:59pm,
I'm located in Whittier, which is on the borderline of Orange County and on the outskirts of LA County. A guy I worked with suggested a place called Neutral Grounds BJJ. On my own I found a judo place in Buena Park called Orange County Kodokan Judo, and for Muay Thai I found OC Muay Thai (heard good stuff about it).

AFTERTHOUGHT: Well **** I just noticed that you're in the OC fes fsa. Any BJJ suggestions?

fes_fsa
8/16/2007 10:21pm,
you're always welcome to train at Tinguinha BJJ Academy with me. next to my style field is a little hut. click on it... and you'll get the info for my school.

i'll be training with one other poster (Reverend Null) on Saturday at 11 AM. again... you're welcome to drop in if you'd like. contact me via yahoo under the name xxxxxxx if you'd like to meet up and train.

blanked
8/16/2007 10:28pm,
Thank you kindly for the offer fes, and that little bit of forum info as well. Not entirely sure if I'll be able to take you up on it, but I'll let you know if I can. So far I'm feeling pretty welcome here.

fes_fsa
8/16/2007 10:42pm,
well... if you decide to go... the first class is free. just make sure you contact the school and let them know you wanna take advantage of the free trial, because Mauricio likes to talk with you a bit before you start; especially if you haven't taken bjj before.

glad to have assisted you and made you feel welcome. :)

blanked
8/17/2007 3:24pm,
I'm not sure where the best place to put this question would be, so I'll field it here first. What do you guys think/know about a place called OC Muay Thai? Santa Ana isn't that far from Fullerton (where I go to school) so it's got the convenience factor. If I can't get answers out of this thread I'll keep cruising the forums and try to find the right place to start one with this question in mind.

aaaargh
8/17/2007 7:46pm,
Welcome to Bullshido, and good for you for checking out other styles and methods.

blanked
8/18/2007 1:13am,
Well I've got the interest, money, and time to give another MA a try so why not right?