PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know good places to train in Hattiesburg, MS?

Pages : [1] 2

Vince Tortelli
8/15/2007 9:22am,
I will be moving to Hattiesburg in a couple of weeks, and I am trying to locate a new place to train. I've heard that there is a Gracie affiliate somewhere in the area, but no luck finding them so far. If I can't find anywhere, I will probably have to start going to the USM Martial Arts Club, where I will become a non-sparring, no rolling, anti-grappling, "grab my wrist...no, my other wrist!" loser and some of the blame will be on this website for not helping me out. BJJ places preferred. but will accept directions/phone numbers/emails for boxing gyms, kickboxing, Thai-boxing, judo or Kyokushin karate schools. HELP!

GhostOfKimura
8/15/2007 9:23am,
We knew you could do it! Vince Tortelli posted, YAY! And if a bot is this rude, just imagine harsh this is gonna be. Hope you're wearing a thick gi.

Vince Tortelli
8/15/2007 9:30am,
The gi is a useless relic of an outmoded past that we must put aside so the art...nay, the science of jiu-jitus can move forward! Read Jiu-Jitsu Unleashed or beyond the Lion's Den! And yes, I realize that I am trying to smack-talk a bot. Oh, if only I had something to do with all this free time I have...

Coach Josh
8/15/2007 9:38am,
I was just called by a guy in Miss. who wanted to come train in Lafayette, Louisiana with me so I believe your up **** creek as far as clubs go. I know of Jackson and Gulf Port Judo Schools. There maybe a BJJ club or 2 around coast and then there is Memphis Judo and Jujitsu who I highly recommend. IF your not far from New Orleans or Baton Rouge there are several places in both cities.

Vince Tortelli
8/15/2007 1:10pm,
That's about what I figured. Thanks for the information, though. That's the problem with Southwest Mississippi, EVERYTHING is way the hell far off somewhere else. Looks like I'll have to go to plan B: Re-read Mastering Jiu-Jitsu, watch the Pride DVDS I got at Wal-mart, then hit my heavy bag while making Wanderlei Silva faces. Hold on, just found out the USM Martial arts club offers Judo classes in addition to karate (meh) and akido(groan). So maybe I can do something useful when I should be studying for class. And I'm still pretty sure there's a Gracie affiliate in Hattisburg, some of the guys at that Shoothook grappling tournament in Madison said they trained there.

the_chillisicle
8/15/2007 1:28pm,
hey Vince , I am in Jackson about 90 miles north .

there is a perdro sauer affiliate there run by alan hopkins .

very very traditional gi guy . I have taken seminars with him if you'd like more info feel free to PM me

the_chillisicle
8/15/2007 1:39pm,
I was just called by a guy in Miss. who wanted to come train in Lafayette, Louisiana with me so I believe your up **** creek as far as clubs go. I know of Jackson and Gulf Port Judo Schools. There maybe a BJJ club or 2 around coast and then there is Memphis Judo and Jujitsu who I highly recommend. IF your not far from New Orleans or Baton Rouge there are several places in both cities.

We also have Gracie south in JAckson Rob Kahn affiliate
Hburg has pedro Sauer affiliate in alan hopkins , who also acquired Monroe schools .

IF you know jackson Judo schools , you should know of Randall powell converted to a bjj school about 4 years ago , then about a year and a half ago got in with Rob Kahn . ROb then sens his top brown belt here .. For future reference .

So we have BJJ
Judo and
Muay Thai /Kick boxing with Jarrett Becks

Vince Tortelli
8/15/2007 1:49pm,
I am really grateful for all the information on schools in Mississippi, but my problem is that I am about to start school at the University of Southern Mississippi in Hattisburg, so I will be pretty much stuck in that general area. And with gas prices being what they are, plus college student (broke and starving) I'm not sure I could drive two hours three or four times a week to the Jackson dojos. I will pass this stuff on to some of my friends out that way, and will try and attend a class or two if I am ever up by the state capital.

the_chillisicle
8/15/2007 1:52pm,
I am really grateful for all the information on schools in Mississippi, but my problem is that I am about to start school at the University of Southern Mississippi in Hattisburg, so I will be pretty much stuck in that general area. And with gas prices being what they are, plus college student (broke and starving) I'm not sure I could drive two hours to the Jackson dojos. I will pass this stuff on to some of my friends out that way, and will try and attend a class or two if I am ever up by the state capital.

No ,Hopkins is in Hburg . in a local shopping center !!
I think I have contact info ..

Sorry for the confusion ..

but if you know people in Jackson area please send them

the_chillisicle
8/15/2007 1:53pm,
http://gjjms.com/contacts.html

there you go .. your only option

Vince Tortelli
8/16/2007 9:41am,
Muchas gracias for the gjmm contact info, I'll be calling them shortly. I would have pmed you, but apparently I can't do that until I make 50 posts, don't ask me why. I have been running all over the forums mouthing off, so hopefully I will be at 50 soon enough, with possibly a flame war and an internet challenge to boot. Sorry I misread the post, thank you for clarifying.

chingythingy
8/16/2007 10:18am,
http://gjjms.com/contacts.html

there you go .. your only option

A Pedro Sauer black belt & brown belt, and the school picture has around 45 people in it. You might be able to find someone to roll with there...

Vince Tortelli
8/16/2007 11:58am,
Will hunt y'all up for good times n' grappling. Really hoping to get back into the swing of things, my training has been sporadic at best and I live in fear of being presented some kind of award for "Greatest lenghth of time spent as a whitebelt in BJJ".

the_chillisicle
8/16/2007 3:59pm,
A Pedro Sauer black belt & brown belt, and the school picture has around 45 people in it. You might be able to find someone to roll with there...

Indeed black and brown .. but the 45 students picture is from a seminar .. 5-7 are form our school and some from monroe , LA and sorounding area.

chad is the brown belt he ran the school before Allen moved in. Nice guy

Allen nice enough guy , his teaching to me is not up to par , chad does a better job in my opinion

Coach Josh
8/17/2007 8:02am,
Is the Judo place run by Bob Harvey? The martial arts academy? If so Bob is a good Judo instructor and a true redneck. I should be at his tournament on Oct. 27.

chingythingy
8/17/2007 8:59am,
Indeed black and brown .. but the 45 students picture is from a seminar .. 5-7 are form our school and some from monroe , LA and sorounding area.

chad is the brown belt he ran the school before Allen moved in. Nice guy

Allen nice enough guy , his teaching to me is not up to par , chad does a better job in my opinion

good to know....
do you train there or somewhere else?