PDA

View Full Version : question about concussions in judo

radcyclist
8/14/2007 6:56pm,
Whats the typical rate of concussions in judo?
Ive already had three and all of them have been progressively worse.
I dont feel like having more brain damage just because I decided to pick up judo (my memory sucks enough as it is lol).

BJJbot
8/14/2007 6:57pm,
In spite of what some other web-sites would have you believe, we here at Bullshido.net welcome you, radcyclist, with open arms and hope that you will share with us your unique experiences and ideas on the martial arts.... so that we may then make fun of those experiences and ideas.

aaaargh
8/14/2007 8:24pm,
Wow, that sucks, you must have a heck of a rough dojo. Maybe you need a helmet or something.

Edit- I read your style field- I guess you're saying you want to start judo, but have had 3 concussions already.

I have seen a few sprained ankles and shoulders, but never yet a head injury. The mats would cushion you if you hit your head, and usually you take the impact with your body anyway. I'd be more worried about breaking my neck than getting a concussion, but typically judo clubs spend a LOT of time on proper falling technique so you don't hurt yourself.

jtkarate
8/14/2007 10:53pm,
one thing you need to know to help avoid concussions in judo.

TUCK YOUR CHIN.

Keep your chin tucked in so that when you land the back of your head doesn't bounce off the mat.