PDA

View Full Version : Ever been involved in bullshido-sounding things that were not actually BS?

Pages : [1] 2

achiral
8/03/2007 2:34pm,
At my school we have a friendly atmosphere and an eclectic membership with wrestlers, judoka and such. They teach MT also but I only do the BJJ part. I even heard someone making fun of Dim Mak. I've been there about a month and a half, training 4-5 times a week(summer ftw) and presumably learning good jui jitsu.

However my instructor has started(I assume he did it before as well) self defence type things such as keeping the chin down and the difference between a defence with boxing gloves and a defence if you had no gloves. This involves the "telephone" type elbow and forarm defence of the side of your face/head. We then learned the advantage of knee-on-belly over mount on "teh street" and elbows to the face. He even advised the RNC as a means to avoid as much legal complications compared to elbows and fists.

As near as I can tell this is totally in line with everything you bullys advocate and IMO it is very reasonable. This is only stuff we do every once in awhile and every class we roll a lot and ect ect. It's just that the words like "street self defence" now cause almost a knee jerk reaction "IS THIS BULLSHIDO?!" and then you hear things like "the reality of street fighting" and stuff.

So how many of you have been involved in something where the content of what you were being taught is perfectly legit but the way it was being described sent up little flags cause it is similar to how bullshido people talk?

meataxe
8/03/2007 2:55pm,
Once I learned to un-clench, the colonics were pretty much awesome!

Edit: OK, that was silly... I've always felt a little bit silly regarding self-defence stuff. (BS or not.) I think the best defence is psychological. #1 thing is situational awareness. I never seem to get into fights though, so either I am a genius at psychological self-defence , or I just totally lack experience.

Permalost
8/03/2007 3:03pm,
Doing street specific stuff is not bullshido, as long as it is trained with aliveness. The two are not mutually exclusive. The "answering the phone" type blocking is not bull either, and it is used effectively in the ring.

I used to train a few years ago with a group at my college. It was run by an old Soviet guy. The class was mostly a meditation class, with martial arts once a week. We did lots of aikido and bagua movement drills, and no real sparring. The instructor, though, was a very experienced martial artist and trained with the Soviet Olympic judo team. He could throw people so effortlessly, and he would give coaching tips to one of the guys in the group that was a competitive judoka.

CX1329
8/03/2007 3:07pm,
My style is Kung Fu. That should be fair enough.

achiral
8/03/2007 3:10pm,
Just in case anyone is confused I am not calling bullshido on my school! We train alive and it's good **** - I'm just saying if all you had to go on was isolated phrases about it you might be led to think it was bullshido by the similarity to RBSD type lingo.

Anna Kovacs
8/03/2007 3:18pm,
Historical European Martial arts is generally pretty easy for people to write off as bullshit, but I will still kick your ass with a sword and/or knife shaped object.

Otaku Waffle
8/03/2007 4:58pm,
Our Kempo trainer: "We don't do competitions, our style is too dangerous. Now let's spar."
Fucking hardest bunch of crazies I ever shared a dojo with...

Aikicat
8/03/2007 5:18pm,
I still remember how on my first day, my BJJ instructor addressed the class and said straight up that the gym is not self-defense oriented.

Virus
8/03/2007 6:16pm,
"Street self defense" is not bullshido, it just happens to be a claim used by most bullshido ever since it became obvious that they couldn't fight.

Goju - Joe
8/03/2007 6:34pm,
Historical European Martial arts is generally pretty easy for people to write off as bullshit, but I will still kick your ass with a sword and/or knife shaped object.

Oh Yeah!!!

Gong Sau!!!!

Foil or Epee in the parking lot of the Canadian Tire by the A & W near my house!!!

Grrrrararrrarrrarararrrrrr

PPlate
8/04/2007 1:36am,
I visited a muay thai gym where I saw them partnering up with one partner holding a skipping rope. He'd swing at the legs of his partner and his partner would jump over the ropes, roll on the ground, then stand up.

I found it pretty bullshit looking but knew the trainer had a good reputation, and was wondering why they were clowning around like that.

Later when I asked the senior student he told me that when you get thrown repeatedly in the clinch, and had to get up, it drains your stamina very quickly, so that drill was to build stamina for that particular scenario and allow you to get up quickly so that you don't look weak to the judges.

So a bullshit looking drill turns out to be quite a legitimate training method.

Snake Plissken
8/04/2007 1:52pm,
Oh Yeah!!!

Gong Sau!!!!

Foil or Epee in the parking lot of the Canadian Tire by the A & W near my house!!!

Grrrrararrrarrrarararrrrrr

you buying the root beer floats afterwards??

aaaargh
8/04/2007 3:21pm,
Achiral, does your name mean that you are ambidextrous?

achiral
8/04/2007 5:08pm,
Nope - it just means I'm interested in organic chemistry and stereochemistry.

Black 6
8/07/2007 4:48pm,
There was a post a while back where someone was making fun of another guy because the guy's business card (as in card for his job) said that he was a "Six Sigma Green Belt". Made fun of him about his style and the fact that he felt the need to put that out there.

Came here and found out it's a business technique (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_sigma) that happens to have some belt designations for titles.

riddlekon
8/08/2007 11:17pm,
My current chool is sorta like that, good strikes and effective stuff, except for the chambered
elbow, but I just ignore that crap anyway. We include bjj, hapkido, elbows, knees.
The way he markets it makes it sound like a Mcdojo.