PDA

View Full Version : NOOB from IL (STL Metro East)

Pages : [1] 2

metalwright
8/01/2007 2:23pm,
Hello all, just an intro here. Please pass on reading it.

I trained in TKD long ago, like 1990-1993. Then trained again in S. Korea in 1996 for a few months, but had to stop because of my work schedule.

So, now I will start in MA again by taking Eskrima at a local school. I will have to report on the school later, since I have not started yet.

BJJbot
8/01/2007 2:24pm,
So metalwright, you decided to go ahead and register huh? Cool. Don't forget to review your dojo (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83).

Airman Kai
8/01/2007 2:25pm,
Sounds like you're in the service, if work stopped you from training in S. Korea, am I right?

metalwright
8/01/2007 10:54pm,
Indeed I was in the Army, and the camp gym had a TKD instructor. But, with frequent 12 hour work days (not including PT), and also long field exercises, it was difficult to stay with the program, and I quit.

Was rather a neat experience, though, being taught in the art's country of origin. Definitely a little different than a lot of what goes on here.

Airman Kai
8/01/2007 11:17pm,
Well, first of all, you need to contact the folks in charge to get yourself a military tag, my brother. I think... PizDoff is the guy you need to contact. Since you can't PM anybody, just make a thread int newbietown that has a title like "ATTN: MODS, Need a military Tag" or something.

Secondly, please elaborate on which eskrima school you'll be attending.

metalwright
8/02/2007 12:32pm,
I am going to check out Eagle & Dragon Martial Arts Academy in Belleville for the Eskrima.

I happen to work on Scott, also, btw...

Airman Kai
8/02/2007 12:37pm,
With programs like "Fitness Boxing" and "Kickboxing Cardio," I'm inclined to believe this school may be a McDojo. Maybe. Let us know.

metalwright
8/02/2007 1:59pm,
With programs like "Fitness Boxing" and "Kickboxing Cardio," I'm inclined to believe this school may be a McDojo. Maybe. Let us know.

Well, unwilling to judge a book by it's cover, and also at a loss for options looking for Eskrima, I have to give this guy a shot.

I can certainly see where a MA instructor would be keen to cash in on fitness based training. (I know a guy from Thailand that does the same thing at a local Y.)

Another friend is going with me too, which is great, as we will be able to compare notes. I think that will help me to remain objective.

BackFistMonkey
8/02/2007 2:28pm,
Western KY Throwdown (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57704) Come throwdown and/or socialize .

Welcome to Bullshido .

metalwright
8/02/2007 2:38pm,
Western KY Throwdown (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57704) Come throwdown and/or socialize .

Welcome to Bullshido .

I'm not too sure how well I would faire in any "throwdowns" that include "KY" in the title. Does this not alarm the other participants?

BackFistMonkey
8/02/2007 3:43pm,
I'm not too sure how well I would faire in any "throwdowns" that include "KY" in the title. Does this not alarm the other participants?

* turns down "Dueling Banjos" *

Huh ? ...

Naw they likes it .

* turns the phonograph back up *

KY , that just stands for Kentucky

metalwright
8/08/2007 8:11am,
OK, to report back on the Eskrima classes, they seem to be pretty good. The instructor is not actually part of the school, so to speak, but the dojo handles the money and everything. I have confidence in it so far.

There are like 4 students from what I can see, and that includes myself and my buddy!

wildwills
8/08/2007 8:23am,
I am going to check out Eagle & Dragon Martial Arts Academy in Belleville for the Eskrima.

I happen to work on Scott, also, btw...

Enjoy the corn fields.....lol. I was stationed at Scott from Feb 2002 thru Feb 2005 at HQ AMC/A34Y doing contract airlift for USTRANSCOM. Overall Scott AFB isn't too bad, you could be at McGuire AFB in NJ....lol.

metalwright
8/08/2007 9:05am,
Enjoy the corn fields.....

Well, for those that do not like this area, the unfortunate ending to the story is that I am born and raised around here. There are worse places to be, and there are better.

Could be in North Dakota, on the plains in winter.

motedgrange
10/08/2007 10:59am,
Hey, I was also considering trying out Eagle and Dragon for escrima. Do you still like the class/instructor?

metalwright
10/08/2007 1:11pm,
I have to say that after a couple of months there I really do like it. I feel that I'm learning quite a bit, and the instructor is really good.

I must say, that I do believe Eagle and Dragon MA to be a "McDojo" in many ways, although not having seen their core classes live, I cannot really attest to the effectiveness of the Sensei. But they have the prerequisite black belt club, master's club, annual agreements. The Sensei was even taught by a "master" that is a "master" in the art he founded!

All that aside, the Eskrima instructor is not actually part of the school, but an outsider. You'll certainly get your first lesson free, so come check it out next Saturday at 1pm.