PDA

View Full Version : wushu

Pages : [1] 2 3

jvela04
7/26/2007 7:46pm,
Hey there, my name is Jacob Vela. I am 23. I just started training in wushu. :grommit:

TKDBot
7/26/2007 7:47pm,
Welcome aboard, jvela04! The Bullshido staff would welcome you personally, but the thing is they’re busy keeping the peace, so they’ve apointed me, a bot, to pat you on the back and assure you that in no way will you be harmed during your stay here at BS.net. Your views on the martial arts, your philosphy, maybe even your entire reason for being will be challenged, shattered, reorganized, melted down, and forged into something new and shiny, but we swear it will only hurt a little bit… at first.

Dak
7/26/2007 10:53pm,
Welcome I am also a noob, but have been here long enough to know that no one here likes any martial art without full resistance sparring and most have a grudge against wushu as it is more flashy then efective, but as in most communities there are the black sheep that also like wushu so...... enjoy your stay :D

Virus
7/27/2007 12:04am,
It depends if you say it's for fighting or not.

aaaargh
7/27/2007 12:22am,
If nothing else, it's fantastic exercise.

It is Fake
7/27/2007 12:46am,
It depends if you say it's for fighting or not.
Yep. Dak is trying to get you trolled.

Gymanstics is great exercise and can give you good flexibility and strentgh. You never see them advertising their routines for fighting. Gymkata doesn't count.

I put modern wushu in the same category.

most have a grudge against wushu as it is more flashy then efective,
Spoken by a true noob who really didn't lurk.

Modern wushu is not effective at all.

No grudge against wushu. A grudge against wushu charlatans that have people, like you Dak, thinking there is something even remotely effective in Modern wushu.

aaaargh
7/27/2007 4:11pm,
What is a Gymanstic? Some kind of unisex deodorant?

new2bjj
7/27/2007 6:59pm,
The whole idea of WuShu was to remove the combat element and do it simply as a form of entertainment- a sort of cultural dance. I've said this before, most serious Wu Shu people don't even relate it to fighting, really.

It is Fake
7/27/2007 7:05pm,
What is a Gymanstic? Some kind of unisex deodorant?
Yes, it is found one aisle down from the
foward that repels vampires and evil spirits.

Lv1Sierpinski
7/27/2007 7:40pm,
Hey JV, I did wushu for a few years, good times. How long have you been training?

jvela04
7/28/2007 1:12pm,
Hey JV, I did wushu for a few years, good times. How long have you been training?

I just started training in wushu about 5 months ago. I have to admit that wushu is quite flashy to say the least. It would take a few years to develope as a means of defence. It's because of this the same sifu who is teaching me wushu is also teaching me shaolin boxing.

aaaargh
7/28/2007 10:18pm,
I'm not familiar with shaolin boxing, can you describe it? Is it anything like western boxing?

jvela04
7/29/2007 2:24pm,
I'm not familiar with shaolin boxing, can you describe it? Is it anything like western boxing?

Im glad you asked. I will try to explain to the best of my abilities.

There are two types of shaolin boxing, nothern shaolin (also known as changquan or long fist) which emphasize kicks and long distance attacks and southern shaolin which emphasize hand techniques and short range combat. Weapons can be used in shaolin boxing. As you can imagine long weapons such as the staff, long sword and spears where used in northern practices; whereas cleavers short rods, and short swords for southern shaolin. It's amazing, if you do some research you will find that alot of the martial arts today were derived from shaolin boxing.

new2bjj
7/29/2007 3:30pm,
You can meet some pretty hot asian chicks at your college wu shu meets, at least one pair with the cute Korean chicks of TKD.

Chuan
7/29/2007 3:44pm,
. Weapons can be used in shaolin boxing. As you can imagine long weapons such as the staff, long sword and spears where used in northern practices; whereas cleavers short rods, and short swords for southern shaolin. It's amazing, if you do some research you will find that alot of the martial arts today were derived from shaolin boxing.

FYI: Nan Quan also has staff, spear, sabres, lances, Kwan Dao, Pu dao and other long weapons just like it's northern counterparts.

jvela04
7/29/2007 4:32pm,
FYI: Nan Quan also has staff, spear, sabres, lances, Kwan Dao, Pu dao and other long weapons just like it's northern counterparts.

Yes, that is true. The one thing that I forgot to mention is the reason for the northern long weapon and southern short weapon original use. The type of weapons used had a lot to do with geographic of the two regions. To the northern mountainous regions practitioners had more open space to work with while the southern practitioners lived in more confined closed qaurters leaving them to use shorter weapons. :redx: