PDA

View Full Version : Looking for NYC XMA/Wushu schools [first post]

Pages : [1] 2

immakiku
7/26/2007 2:05pm,
Hey guys. I'm a newbie in Manhattan, New York, looking for a good XMA/Wushu school to take up as a hobby. You can basically regard me as a complete newbie, but I do train BJJ and basic, non-sparring striking every week (basically we pretend to punch and kick pads harhar). I've tried Capoeira before too and I liked it because it was fun, but it was too expensive so I dropped it. As for bacon... not a big fan of pork, but it sure tastes good!

Anyway I would appreciate if someone could recommend some schools where I can learn flexibility/flashy stunts. I'm not looking for fighting/medidation/whatnot - just performance martial arts. It's also going to be purely a hobby - I'm not looking to be a stuntman or anything, but watching people do parkour sure makes me itchy to do the same flips whenever I'm on a lawn or something. And because it's a only hobby I want to restrict myself to a place that doesn't require a huge annual fee, but rather places that I can pay whenever
I go train.

Even if nobody has any idea, could someone give hints on how I would research this on my own? What do I look out for when a) online b) visiting the schools? Thanks in advance!

BJJbot
7/26/2007 2:06pm,
Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, immakiku. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

Phrost
7/26/2007 3:20pm,
Hey man, saw your post on SA.

Hopefully someone will come along with a link to a directory of good Wushu schools in NYC, or even better, first hand experience with one or more of them.

Don't we have a few CMA guys in the NY area?

ojgsxr6
7/26/2007 3:33pm,
I don't know how close you are to this, but check out www.fighthouse.com

Dak
7/26/2007 3:37pm,
In my opinion I would go with parkour. www.urbanfreeflow.com is agood site. I believe foucan's freerunning facility is in NY go hunt it down and do a triple gainer :P

Ming Loyalist
7/26/2007 3:42pm,
there's supposed to be a good wushu (ugh it makes me feel dirty putting those words together) place in queens.

one of my students used to train there, i'll see him next wednesday and can ask him the name then.

immakiku
7/26/2007 3:45pm,
Sup Phrost. I always wanted to join up and read/post here, but the content/links were so busy I got confused really easily :sad7:

Yea I think nowadays it's easier to find good MMA schools because there's your site and because a lot more people are doing it. CMA is... not so much except from first hand experience, but then everyone I've talked to in real life obviously loves their own school or they wouldn't be there. Being a goon I had to assume that INTERNETS > real people in terms of rational thinking and judgement. Thanks for replying!

Re: fighthouse: it seems to completely be a fighting school... I already have a BJJ instructor whom I intend to stay with. I'm looking more for performance training - you know, flips and jumps and all that flashy stuff they show in Asian martial arts movies. And looking through the fighthouse site, a few things like "esoteric" jumped out at me as red flags. Do you have experience with this school? Could you tell me more about it if it does indeed have performance aspects?

EDIT: Are we allowed to double post here?

Sorry I responded without seeing the other two replies. Anyway I'd be glad to train parkour, but it seems like it's hard to find an organized gym which teaches it. From previous research the philosophy seems to be just to go outside and DO IT, which to me doesn't sound that good because I have no experience. The site urbanfreeflow doesn't have anything about training it either ...

And by the way why is "good" and "wushu" disgusting in a sentence? Is it because a lot of people think it's for fighting? I'm sure there must be schools that realize that it's no good for fighting, but it's still good for flexibility training etc. Just like yoga works for some people.

Chalkdust
7/26/2007 4:39pm,
I went to the Fighthouse once last year when I was shopping around for a martial arts school. They offered a more philosophy/real-world application type kung fu class than one focused on stunts/performance from what I could see.

Ming Loyalist
7/26/2007 4:55pm,
And by the way why is "good" and "wushu" disgusting in a sentence? Is it because a lot of people think it's for fighting? I'm sure there must be schools that realize that it's no good for fighting, but it's still good for flexibility training etc. Just like yoga works for some people.

yeah there's nothing wrong with learning wushu for gymnastics and creative expression, or even for training to be a stuntman. but some people DO equate it with fighting, including a surprising number of wushu students. so i usually equate teaching wushu with being a bad CMA school.

since you are looking for gymnastics, then a wushu school would be good for you. it just felt weird saying "good" and "wushu" together, that's all.

Phrost
7/26/2007 5:20pm,
Would love any feedback about the links being confusing... someone else said that recently and I'm not sure what they meant.

And yeah, you can double post as long as there's significant and/or meaningful content in each post.

immakiku
7/26/2007 8:57pm,
Regarding links - I just think there's too many links cluttering the page at one time. I guess once I get used to it i'll be fine, but it seems like the text and the links are the same color, and the font size is so small, that it's hard to look for or see what I want to see.

So I guess fighthouse is not what I'm looking for... No CMA practioners want to chime in? Or can anyone give me advice on how to distinguish a good school from a bad? I can go in and ask what the focus is, but I'll still have no idea if their training is any good or if it's conducted in a safe manner. Can we discuss this a bit?

Dak
7/26/2007 10:50pm,
ehh training parkour/freerunning is as simple as normal conditioning and an acrobatics class, but w/e its your flow.

immakiku
7/27/2007 12:57am,
So in that case can someone link me to some acrobatics classes? I didn't even know those exist...

Ming Loyalist
7/27/2007 8:18am,
So I guess fighthouse is not what I'm looking for... No CMA practioners want to chime in? Or can anyone give me advice on how to distinguish a good school from a bad? I can go in and ask what the focus is, but I'll still have no idea if their training is any good or if it's conducted in a safe manner. Can we discuss this a bit?

i thought i was a CMA practitioner, and i already did chime in. to repeat: there's wushu in brooklyn and i can get you info on that next wed and post it next thurs. i have heard that they are quite good at wushu there.

as far as distinguishing a good school from a bad one? wushu? acrobatics? i think that watching the students and seeing if they can do what the instructor does would be a good test.

fighthouse is not a school. it's a location that rents space to many instructors (and they also rent space to the nyc throwdown crew for our sparring sessions every other month - next one is 9/29 fyi.) so you would need to check out the schedule there and see if any XMA/wushu is taught there, rather than watching one class and deciding that the whole place isn't for you.

hope that helped. good luck.

also who do you train BJJ under in nyc?

immakiku
7/27/2007 8:37am,
Sorry I didn't know you were CMA. It sounded like you were all anti-CMA because you ranted on wushu a bit. I eagerly await your info!

Fighthouse looks great to check out, actually (I'll try it next week), but I won't be going for XMA/Wushu because their website doesn't even mention that at all. Or... do you think I should call to see if their class list is more expansive than their website suggests?

And I guess I'll go into the actual schools to see what they can do (still kinda need a list, short of wandering around Chinatown or whatever). That would've been my last resort anyway.

EDIT: By the way I'm really glad to have finally joined up (here at Bullshido). I hope this will help me with my real training.

Ming Loyalist
7/27/2007 9:09am,
Sorry I didn't know you were CMA. It sounded like you were all anti-CMA because you ranted on wushu a bit. I eagerly await your info!

you can see people's style in the upper right hand corner of their posts... hung ga kung fu is a CMA. you know how people from any minority group tend to feel like they have the right to rag on their own group? or how a wife can complain about her family being a bunch of asshole rednecks, but if the husband says the same thing about them, she gets angry? that's how i feel about CMA.

and i am anti-CMA in a lot of ways, as i hate what it has become in over 90% of the schools i have seen. if i can get the info before wed, i will. i just won't see that guy until then, but i have a couple others i can ask.

Fighthouse looks great to check out, actually (I'll try it next week), but I won't be going for XMA/Wushu because their website doesn't even mention that at all. Or... do you think I should call to see if their class list is more expansive than their website suggests?

there seems to be some discrepancy as to who gets listed on the website, as a lot of the classes that are offered aren't listed. it's worth a call.

And I guess I'll go into the actual schools to see what they can do (still kinda need a list, short of wandering around Chinatown or whatever). That would've been my last resort anyway.

i think there will be a really short list for wushu (i.e. 1 school as far as i know) there is also the USA shaolin temple, and the shaolin temple overseas headquarters (no they are not affiliated - the USA shaolin temple guy is a renegade monk who broke off and did his own thing.)

they don't claim to teach wushu there, but it sure looks like wushu to me (walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.... it's a duck.) from what i have heard, they tend to focus on the flashy acrobatic moves at the shaolin temple places. google should give you some links and contact info.

EDIT: By the way I'm really glad to have finally joined up (here at Bullshido). I hope this will help me with my real training.

bullshido is a great resource and an even better time waster. enjoy.