PDA

View Full Version : Worktime fun with Bullshido

Werburn
7/11/2007 7:05pm,
Hello to everyone here at bullshido. Figured I'd be a good 'lil noobie and does what the stickies says to me. In my free time I practice whatever it is you wanna call it that I do...my formal training consists of alot of hopping around from place to place, but lets see if I could start at the beginning:

Starting at age 4 I trained for 1.5 years under Hidy Ochiai in Washin Ryu. Took Kempo for half a year after that, then Tae Kwon Do for 1.5 years at ATA after that. Took 1 year of Judo at an afterschool club under some random instructor (don't remember her name)...that was in middleschool so there was a bit of a gap in there between the Tae Kwon Do and the Judo. Another year after the Judo and I returned to ATA for half a year. A couple years later I enrolled in a kickboxing gym for 2 years. Another break for awhile and now here I am... oh, I also wrestled in High School for whatever its worth.

Now I'm in college in Cedar City, Utah...we had 2 dojos in town, but one recently closed. The only dojo left in town is Wing Chun, but I have felt no compulsion to enroll there. I am personal friends with someone who used to have a dojo where he instructed Tai Chi (or however you want to spell that), and I get spot training here and there from him, but I generally am working on my Kickboxing form. I own a heavy bag so that helps alot, but I'm having trouble finding someone to practice ground fighting and grappling with. Everyone I know is either at a huge disadvantage (ie no groundfighting skills etc) or at a huge advantage (weigh 2x what I do, and have more background with BJJ or the like).

I am currently working on getting into more of a personal routine (finding it hard to train regularly when I do have classes to go to or whatever), finding more sparring partners, and in particular people I can do grapple/groundfighting sparring with at all.

I read alot on style types and martial theory, but I'm sure that doesn't exactly help me become a better fighter in and of itself. I watch alot of instructional videos whenever I can get them for free, but the majority turn out to be retarded. At this point all I have is whatever I can practice with myself and the occasional sparring contest to pressure test, and make sure I haven't been teaching myself the art of the faceblock.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has any good websites/online videos/etc. that I could read/watch/copy/whatever to help me improve. But regardless, theres my intro post...I'm sure you all care just ever so much.

OmegaBot
7/11/2007 7:06pm,
We knew you could do it! Werburn posted, YAY! And if a bot is this rude, just imagine harsh this is gonna be. Hope you're wearing a thick gi.

TKDBot
7/11/2007 7:06pm,
So Werburn, you decided to go ahead and register huh? Cool. Don't forget to review your dojo (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83).

NoFear900
7/13/2007 8:26pm,
Welcome, go get involved with interest. And post your oppinion.

out
NoFear900

Virus
7/13/2007 10:48pm,
Do you have a judo club at university?

inspector2854
7/14/2007 12:50am,
did the shut dojo run out of money?

Werburn
7/18/2007 5:13pm,
there is no judo club at the university as of last time I checked...which was 2 years ago, so maybe they do now...last time I checked they had a "karate" club, a Tae Kwon Do club (with the most bizarre opening bow/dance/ritual thing I have ever seen), and I was working on starting a mixed-style controlled sparring club, but unfortunately, that fell through as the university thought it to be too dangerous.

I honestly dont know why the shut dojo didnt remain open. I heard only good things about the place before, but when I finally went to go check it out, it was closed permanently...

...sorry I took so long to reply to this thread, was actually busy at work the last while there...