PDA

View Full Version : What is the purpose of Thai shorts?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Eldarbong
7/11/2007 6:30pm,
I just got a free pair in the mail, and it made me wonder. What do they add to kickboxing/muay thai? Is it to LARP or something? What is the purpose of Thai shorts? They almost seem like something for girls, because they are made of satin and come in pretty colors.

OmegaBot
7/11/2007 6:31pm,
In spite of what some other web-sites would have you believe, we here at Bullshido.net welcome you, Eldarbong, with open arms and hope that you will share with us your unique experiences and ideas on the martial arts.... so that we may then make fun of those experiences and ideas.

alex
7/11/2007 7:23pm,
easier to kick in. apart from that its basically a personality thing, you put your nickname on it, advertising, your gyms name, whatever. i mean since its the only thing you are going to be wearing in a fight...

truepwrz
7/11/2007 7:29pm,
NO DONT LISTEN TO HIM thai shorts are very essential to thai boxers because they show the sexy legs attract spectators especially to gay ones inorder to have more audience(its a joke dont get a flamethrower at me)

Red Elvis
7/11/2007 7:54pm,
444 posts Eldarbong and you posted that question here? You're hardly a newbie and we are not allowed to troll you by virtue of this post being in newbietown. Uhhhgggg....

Torakaka
7/11/2007 8:01pm,
the purpose of my shorts is to look awesome, which they VERY MUCH do. I think the satin thing must be a western thing, since they all seem to wear the thin nylon shorts in Thailand. Satin is too hot to fight in over there I figure.

hoodedmonk
7/11/2007 8:08pm,
I just got a free pair in the mail, and it made me wonder. What do they add to kickboxing/muay thai? Is it to LARP or something? What is the purpose of Thai shorts? They almost seem like something for girls, because they are made of satin and come in pretty colors.They are to hide the floppy jaloppy man! And what are you doing starting a thread in newbie town anyway?

Eldarbong
7/11/2007 8:30pm,
They are to hide the floppy jaloppy man! And what are you doing starting a thread in newbie town anyway?
I was going to put it in strike-istan but they I realized it was about shorts. I guess I should have put this in YMAS.

Zyph
7/11/2007 9:50pm,
I find it easier to kick in them than board shorts. I also refuse to wear the spandex (or what ever they are) fight shorts. Also there is a bit of personality involved, the clothes make the man and all that.

I have several satin pairs, and several nylon pairs. The satin ones are hot as hell, but they hold up better in teh wash. I had a pair of KWON MT shorts that I washed till they were threads.

Past all that it is a mater of personal style.

ThaiBoxerShorts
7/12/2007 12:15am,
Because it would look silly if you fought in just a cup.

jeansberg
7/12/2007 12:41am,
Yeah, but you're biased.

SFGOON
7/12/2007 12:42am,
I just got a free pair in the mail, and it made me wonder. What do they add to kickboxing/muay thai? Is it to LARP or something? What is the purpose of Thai shorts? They almost seem like something for girls, because they are made of satin and come in pretty colors.

They're to cover up the genetalia. Most folks don't like it when a feller show up in public with exposed genetalia. :thefinger

ThaiBoxerShorts
7/12/2007 1:00am,
Seriously though, just do a little experiment. Try kicking either Thai pads or the heavy bag in several different kinds of shorts. You'll figure out the point of Thai shorts pretty fast. They're very low-friction and have a lot of room for leg movement. I mean, just look at my icon. The legs are as wide as the fucking waist.

I frequently wear soccer shorts for day-to-day training -- they have similar properties and are typically a lot cheaper. And MMA board shorts work pretty well. But if you're going to be doing a lot of heavy kicking for a long period of time, Thai shorts are the right garment for the job.

King Sleepless
7/12/2007 1:46am,
Thai shorts are way cooler than board shorts. Board shorts are gay and people who wear them only do so because everyone else does. It's like the girls at dance who wear sweat pants that they cut off at the calf... and then they wear leg warmers under that. WHAT THE HELL!? They don't even know what they're doing or why they're wearing that. But the MMA/BJJ guys do the same thing. They don't realize you don't HAVE to wear board shorts, You can wear all sorts of other shorts.

I grapple in my thai shorts. It lets me be more flexible. Board shorts hinder my movement.

Das Moose
7/12/2007 8:22am,
But the MMA/BJJ guys do the same thing. They don't realize you don't HAVE to wear board shorts, You can wear all sorts of other shorts.

AHEM.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f140/dasmoose/trianglethaishorts.jpg

That is all.

tsname
7/13/2007 11:27am,
The Thai shorts are a uniform of sorts. I was thinking that maybe I was being a wannabe by wear Muay Thai shorts after only a month of training but that isn't true since you have to wear a gi or uniform for BJJ/JJ, karate, TKD, etc.