PDA

View Full Version : Inappropriate strikes - How do u respond?

Pages : [1] 2

TKDist
9/10/2003 10:03am,
OK here's the scenerio that prompted this question...
Last night I was at my TKD class. One of the guys (who I think is an idiot to begin with) "forgot" his sparring gear AGAIN (like I said, the guy is complete MORON and forgets his gear like every 3 classes)

The instructor decided to let him spar anyway, but since he didn't have gear we weren't able to really go after him. I was told to throw very slow, controlled techniques, making little to no contact. So I was basically blocking and throwing a few slow kicks (focusing on my aim rather than speed/power) when the moron decided to punch my ankle! Keep in mind: he didn't have a glove on, was wearing a ring and punched the top of my ankle joint pretty hard. It hurt like hell and pissed me off more than I'd like to admit. I immediately put my foot down (the one he punched) spun back around with the other leg and bitch slapped him across the face with a spinning hook kick. I hit with the ball of the foot/toes rather than the heel because I didn't want to seriously hurt him, but I wanted to let him know that I could have really hurt him.

I'm still pretty pissed off about the ankle shot. As I type this, I'm growing even more bitter. I just think it's so damn disrespectful. I was throwing slow techniques and letting him do his own thing as a courtesy! If I had been going full speed, he NEVER would have been able to punch my ankle. I feel like he took advantage of the fact that we were going slow and/or was trying to intentionally hurt me.

Do you think the slap kick on the face was enough to drive my point home? Should I have really hit him? What do you guys do when this kind of thing happens?

Bolverk
9/10/2003 10:19am,
First, I have no problem with the slap kick, as long as your instructor doesn't.

Second, if he forgets his gear again and wants to spar, bow out from sparring him, since he has no respect. Let your instructor know why you don't want to spar him unless he is wearing gear. In this way you will disarm the situation and not have to worry about receiving an injury from someone who does not take his training serious enough to bring the proper gear.

We have a student at our school who always spars with a heavy hand and foot. Me, being the size I am, I am able to dish it out to him in the same fashion he brings it. However, he often hurts younger students and women with his sparring style. Control has always been an issue with him, to the point where many students will not spar with him at all. Me, I just give him a nice hard punch or kick in return, ask him if he is okay, then I take the level back down until he gets out of control again.

Sincerely,

Knowing it is not enough, we must apply.
Willing is not enough, we must do.

The tax laws are written by men with considerable net worth, and with little understanding of what wage-earners must do to make ends meet.

Edited by - Bolverk on September 10 2003 10:20:49

kismasher
9/10/2003 10:22am,
i have bloodied lips and noses in aikido class and had the same thing done to me, we usually just laugh it off.

why is dumbass sparring with a big ring on?

maybe he felt like you were acting arrogant and conceited and his fragile ego couldn't handle it so he cheaped you. or maybe it was an accident.

make sure he brings his gear to the next class, that's all i would say.

The Way of a Warrior cannot be encompassed by words or in letters: grasp the essence and move on toward realization!
Morehei Ueshiba

tallpaul50
9/10/2003 11:00am,
I agree with several of you.

1. If the guy forgot his gear, he should not have been sparring in the first place. The instructor should have made him sit out (I would).

2. The instructor SHOULD have a rule (I do anyway) against wearing jewelry in class of any sort, ESPECIALLY rings, and especially during sparring..for the reason that you found out! Plus, you can severely damage your own fingers wearing a ring if you block certain ways, such as open handed. I allow necklaces in class, but advise the wearer that if it gets broken, it's not my fault because the rule is "No Jewelry in class".

You don't describe exactly how he "punched" your ankle, but I know a guy that used a technique we teach on a fellow student (another dojo) and broke the kickers ankle when he kicked. The guy was in a cast for over a month, but still came to class.

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning
'lousy hunter.--- Andy Rooney

Kensai
9/10/2003 11:09am,
I'd either bow out, or make sure that he learns.

MrMcFu
9/10/2003 11:11am,
Wusses.

We always spar with rings. How else can you get a good feel for "The Street"?

Seriously, your reaction was right, since he can't seem to handle himself correctly. What idiot punches your foot? Are you sure it wasn't a N00b block attempt?

As mentioned above, your instructor needs to keep him in check better as well.

Tcp/Ip Man
9/10/2003 1:35pm,
As one of the more senior guys at my school, I am allowed to dictate the pace (intensity and power) of the sparring session with my juniors. When someone wants to step up the level of contact, we have been taught to increase our intensity accordingly, blasting back just as hard or harder.

They usually get the point.

If it looks like someone is actually just trying to hurt you as much as possible rather than coming to learn and practice techniques, that's when Sifu steps in and opens a keg of whopass.

---
The greatest sin is fear. God hates a coward.
- Batman
:-)

TKDist
9/10/2003 2:10pm,
why is dumbass sparring with a big ring on?

Because he is a raging idiot! Seriously, I'm not just saying that because I'm pissed about my ankle...the man is honestly one of the most stupid people I have ever come into contact with. Short of mental retardation, there no excuse for being his kind of stupid and he isn't retarded.

maybe he felt like you were acting arrogant and conceited and his fragile ego couldn't handle it so he cheaped you. or maybe it was an accident.

Well he wasn't landing any of his techniques on me so it could have been out of frustration, BUT that doesn't excuse it. As far as it being an accident...accidents happen in sparring. It's an assumed risk, but typically the person apologizes and I say something along the lines of "it happens keep going," "don't worry about it, I'm fine" or "no big deal..could have been worse." This guy didn't seem to see anything wrong with what he did, he didn't apologize (which could have been because my immediate reaction was to kick him in the face lol) and AIMED his punch at my ankle (which is what cause me to react the way I did.) If a kick or punch goes astray then it's an accident, but punching down at someone's ankle is a conscious choice in my opinion.

TKDist
9/10/2003 2:30pm,
What the hell were you doping so he punched your ankle? You can still use full speed and full power with control. Thats one of the first things I learned. I can kick as hard and fast as I please yet stop so I dont magle the old lady who seems to have somehow fallen to her knees in front of my backside kick.

My control is pretty good. When I spar I have enough control over my technique to go full speed and still use measured force. I also don't throw anything anything that I can't pull back if my oppoenent does something stupid like walking into it.

This was a different circumstance. I'm much faster than this guy so the instructor specifically told me to slow down and let him practice his kicks and blocks. I was bascially just moving around to letting him do his combinations. When I did kick, it was very slow and deliberate. I was aiming at openings in his guard and still making light contact even though I wasn't moving fast, which could have been a source of frustration for him. I'm guessing it was out of frustartion...I don't what else would have possessed him to punch my ankle.

JKDChick
9/10/2003 2:36pm,
I have to admit, with some people I just get all polite and fall even if they don't have a lock.

It's actually pretty disrespectful, since it's a passive agressive way of saying: "You aren't good enough to really do this."

Problem, I did this with the only other chick in my school who goes to my level (she's my friend) and got REAMED for by the instructor.

I'm a bad girl.

"Actually, when practiced properly, such and such art causes oceans to rise and cities to fall and the great Pharoh's army to shudder beneath your might." -- Boyd

TKDist
9/10/2003 2:39pm,
I know a guy that used a technique we teach on a fellow student (another dojo) and broke the kickers ankle when he kicked. The guy was in a cast for over a month

Yup part of why it pissed me off so. He could have broken my ankle. Thankfully nothing too bad happened. I have a nasty bruise on the ankle and it's kind of tender when I flex/point my foot, but nothing that won't heal in time.

TKDist
9/10/2003 2:48pm,
How slow were you kicking that he punched your ankle?

Wicked slow! Like forms slow. When we first started sparring it was at regular speed and I was hitting him pretty easily. He wasn't getting much chance to kick because he's slow and stands flat footed. Everytime he stepped forward, I stepped back and countered. THEN the instructor told me to "go slow...no slower..." etc. So yeah the instructor had me kicking at a snails pace, he went to the front of the room and dumbass punched my ankle.

deus ex machina
9/10/2003 2:49pm,
I would've taken him down and stuck my balls on his face that little shiteater.

TKDist
9/10/2003 2:50pm,
How slow were you kicking that he punched your ankle?

Wicked slow! Like forms slow. When we first started sparring it was at regular speed and I was hitting him pretty easily. He wasn't getting much chance to kick because he's slow and stands flat footed. Everytime he stepped forward, I stepped back and countered. THEN the instructor told me to "go slow...no slower..." etc. So yeah the instructor had me kicking at a snails pace, he went to the front of the room and dumbass punched my ankle.

J-Sho
9/11/2003 10:28am,
Dude, its your own fault for doing TKD.

Simps
9/11/2003 10:58am,
Rule #1. No jewelry whatsoever allowed in the Dojang.

Rule #2. If you have no gear, then you don't spar.

I've been in a similar position as well. Because of my height, I have a good reach advantage over everyone. If I sidekick/roundhouse/front kick properly, you're not even going to get close enough to do something back.

My instructor then told me to work on my boxing game and I subsequently get hit afterwards, which is fine, I need to get better at moving out of the way of a kick anyway. I'm not to fond of blocking, I'd rather just not be there.

There's this one guy who takes advantage of it and I find myself having decked the guy 3 times now. There's really only so much disrespect that I can take.

Simps