PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta MA

Pages : [1] 2

willieo
7/05/2007 9:20am,
I'm looking for a BJJ school in the Atlanta area. I'm trying not to get Mcdojo'ed, and reading this site for 20 min would make anyone paranoid.

After searching the forums I found the reviews for Alliance MA, and some older stuff about Tiger Academy. It was helpful, but I'd like to ask someone questions in an non-salespitch environment.

Any information (or pure, biased, conjecture), especially personal experiences, would be great! Thanks!

OmegaBot
7/05/2007 9:21am,
Welcome aboard, willieo! The Bullshido staff would welcome you personally, but the thing is they’re busy keeping the peace, so they’ve apointed me, a bot, to pat you on the back and assure you that in no way will you be harmed during your stay here at BS.net. Your views on the martial arts, your philosphy, maybe even your entire reason for being will be challenged, shattered, reorganized, melted down, and forged into something new and shiny, but we swear it will only hurt a little bit… at first.

MastaChance
7/05/2007 9:32am,
What's up, I train at Creighton MMA it is llike 30 minutes north of Atlanta, and is a great school. but if your looking ofr a school in the Atl area, Alliance, and KnuckleUp are your best choices. If you are more concentrated on No gi then got to knuckle up, if you are trying to do Gi then Alliance train sGi alot I hear. If your up for the drive Creighton is an awesome school it is small but great intruction, either way you'll get good training, here are a few links to these schools I have mentioned, good luck.

knuckleupfitness.com

alliancebjj.com

paulcreighton.com

I'm looking for a BJJ school in the Atlanta area. I'm trying not to get Mcdojo'ed, and reading this site for 20 min would make anyone paranoid.

After searching the forums I found the reviews for Alliance MA, and some older stuff about Tiger Academy. It was helpful, but I'd like to ask someone questions in an non-salespitch environment.

Any information (or pure, biased, conjecture), especially personal experiences, would be great! Thanks!

willieo
7/05/2007 9:51am,
Thanks!

Do knuckle ups vary? I have 2 good friends that had....interesting... experiences with one of the locations.

MastaChance
7/05/2007 10:43am,
I trained thier back whern it was Velocity, and all I did was the Muay Thai then so I don't know about the Grappling instructors, but Khunpon is one of the coolest Trainers I have ever had, and to have so many fights he is very humble. I had a buddy go to Knuckle Up in Midtown on 14th and he said it is a good atmosphere, some guys don't have control he said, but other than that it is a good place.

Thanks!

Do knuckle ups vary? I have 2 good friends that had....interesting... experiences with one of the locations.

willieo
7/05/2007 11:13am,
What does "don't have control" mean? my buddy was in a grappling class (or mma), he compared the "free-wrestle" to the WWF. I've also heard from 2 different people that they are pushy when it comes to sales.

I've heard good things about Khunphon, is he at midtown?

MastaChance
7/05/2007 11:18am,
Yes they are real big on the more the more money deal, but they have good instruction, I mean they are number 1 in the state, I mean they do have like three times the members of all the other Ga schools so that might have to do with them ramking so high.

Khunpon is awesome when you train with him it is like you have left america and steppedin to a Traditoinal Thai Gym, he drills you, and perfects your technique, he is an awesome trainer and coqach, i have nothing but good things to say about Khunpon and his assistant, Chike' Lindsay, they are both great rainers and fighters.

What does "don't have control" mean? my buddy was in a grappling class (or mma), he compared the "free-wrestle" to the WWF. I've also heard from 2 different people that they are pushy when it comes to sales.

I've heard good things about Khunphon, is he at midtown?

willieo
7/06/2007 4:18pm,
triple boxing and paul creighton are both too far.

Anyone had experience with Tiger Academy?

WhiteShark
7/08/2007 10:02am,
If its at all possible to get to Creighton I gotta recommend it too. Its a great place and almost an hour from my house. I still love training there.

caseyboy
7/08/2007 2:10pm,
Alliance has a Sandy Springs and downtown location. The focus is, first and foremost, gi grappling. We also have a Muay Thai instructor, Manu Ntoh.
Jacare teaches 99% of the classes in S.S. I think Chris Moriarty, a brown belt and world class grappler, is teaching everything at downtown.

Or in Alpharetta we have Pat Harvey, an excellent black belt and instructor
http://www.abbacapoeira.com/

ps. keep an eye on the throwdown section for the Athens throwdown on the 14th.

pss what belt are you and who have you trained with?

willieo
7/08/2007 10:55pm,
I am a useless white-belt noob of the highest order. I need good teachers first and foremost.

The paul creighton gym offers belts in MMA? How does that work?

What is the striking class like?

biomed190
7/08/2007 11:02pm,
how much is the paul creighton school?

willieo
7/08/2007 11:36pm,
If you search the forums, there is an older thread that discusses the PC gym.

There is no pricing info online though. I do know they run 3rd party contracts, which seems to be a major theme around here. That's why I'm gathering as much info (internet conjecture) as possible. Wherever I go will be my 2nd home for at least the next year.

biomed190
7/09/2007 1:21am,
I spoke to Paul this morning

2 classes is 115.00

3 is 130.00

unlimited is 155.00

jiujitsu1974
7/25/2008 4:09pm,
Caseyboy,
Where does Pat teach in Alpharetta?

partyboy
7/25/2008 6:15pm,