PDA

View Full Version : So I REALLY miss striking...

EmperorCesar
7/01/2007 11:45pm,
I started BJJ early this year, and I've enjoyed every bit of it. Before I was in BJJ I started martial arts in a crappy karate dojo... I dont miss the place one bit, but I do miss throwing punches and kicks every now and then. Its gotten worse and worse throwing punches and kicks at my heavy bag just isnt enough... so I went around looking for any options available to me.

My options for a striking art are:

Several TKD schools (some which actually seem decent, and by that I mean I wouldnt want to **** with the instructor)

A really bad looking Kuk Sol Won school

Some Muay Thai classes taught by BJJ guys

Crappy boxing lessons at YMCA

And a krotty school that I havent been able to check out yet

So the question is, is it even worth investing my time and money in any of these? The most likely scenario here would be the TKD at my BJJ place since it would be a mere $10 extra per month... which would be the best way to work on my striking with the options that I have?

Steve
7/01/2007 11:57pm,
Why the **** are you asking us? Check them out in real life already.

Thaiboxerken
7/02/2007 12:14am,
Muay Thai! No question about it, just do Muay Thai.

EmperorCesar
7/02/2007 12:15am,
Why the **** are you asking us? Check them out in real life already.

I have with the exeption of the karate. Need input from people who have been in those arts for a while.

Mr Bosco
7/02/2007 12:20am,
Muay Thai is pretty solid. How much extra will it cost ?

Karate and Tae kwon Do can be a bit touch and go. It all depends on how those clubs train. If you can get a few Muay Thai classes in at your current school I say go for it.

EmperorCesar
7/02/2007 12:44am,
Muay Thai is pretty solid. How much extra will it cost ?

Karate and Tae kwon Do can be a bit touch and go. It all depends on how those clubs train. If you can get a few Muay Thai classes in at your current school I say go for it.

Muay Thai is the best of all of those for sure, but the problem is that the class isnt taught by qualified MT instructors. Its just a BJJ school with a MT classes a couple of days a week, taught by the BJJ black belts. I'm not to sure about training under them for MT for that reason. I'm sure nobody wants to learn grappling from a MT guy or vice versa.

Mr Bosco
7/02/2007 12:46am,
For what it's worth I would stay where you are and get BJJ and Muay Thai. Do your instructors have decent standup ? If so, just learn off them.

Steve
7/02/2007 12:47am,
I'm now going to tell you what to do:

GET OFF THE INTERNETZ

Why are you asking us again?

nameless44
7/02/2007 1:11am,
I feel your pain. I've got a busted foot (broken metatarsal), and I haven't been able to train a single damn thing for three weeks. No weights, no jits, no conditioning. I know -exactly- what you are going through missing stuff.

My vote's for the Thai boxing, for what it's worth. It sucks you don't have many options, but make the best of what you got and maybe an opportunity will take you some place that's got a couple choices.

selfcritical
7/02/2007 1:14am,
I started BJJ early this year, and I've enjoyed every bit of it. Before I was in BJJ I started martial arts in a crappy karate dojo... I dont miss the place one bit, but I do miss throwing punches and kicks every now and then. Its gotten worse and worse throwing punches and kicks at my heavy bag just isnt enough... so I went around looking for any options available to me.

My options for a striking art are:

Several TKD schools (some which actually seem decent, and by that I mean I wouldnt want to **** with the instructor)

A really bad looking Kuk Sol Won school

Some Muay Thai classes taught by BJJ guys

Crappy boxing lessons at YMCA

And a krotty school that I havent been able to check out yet

So the question is, is it even worth investing my time and money in any of these? The most likely scenario here would be the TKD at my BJJ place since it would be a mere $10 extra per month... which would be the best way to work on my striking with the options that I have?

What city are you in? School matters more than art, and someone on the board may know an instructor in your area

Permalost
7/02/2007 1:38am,
I would say that boxing or muay thai would probably blend with the BJJ the best, because TKD and most karate I've seen work from a sideways stance, while the other two styles work from a square stance that's easier to initiate or defend grappling attacks from.

From Bell2Bell
7/02/2007 8:30am,
I'd be suspicious of learning MT from grapplers too. I say go check out the boxing at the Y. It's probably dirt cheap, and even if you don't have great coaches just the fact that you'll have people to box with will go a long way. If nothing else hanging out there is likely to expose you to other boxing clubs in the area; maybe you can find something more serious than the Y.

EmperorCesar
7/02/2007 10:20pm,
What city are you in? School matters more than art, and someone on the board may know an instructor in your area
Tomball Texas

Thanks for the input everyone

Fantasy Warrior
7/02/2007 10:28pm,
Aikido is always a good bet for striking, find an Aikido dojo. I wouldn't go near the TKD mind, after years of careful thought I've decided that TKD is silly. The only good TKD doesn't look, feel or cost like the real TKD. And the other REAL TKD, the hardcore one, only exists on the internet where there are at least two such dojangs per US city, but you'll never find one in the physical world.

Zyph
7/02/2007 10:35pm,
You may want to ask this question again on strikistan. MT is a no brainer, most of what it teaches will be solidified by sparing and pad work. What you really get at a MT gym are people to work out with. If you feel what they are teaching you can back it up with some reading, and video material. The techniques that work in MT are pretty basic stuff, there is no mystical side, mostly just hard work and practice.

Boxing is the other I would vote for. Again a no brainer. Lots of hard work and practice. What it lacks are kicks as you know.

You say they are not certified MT trainers? How do you know, have you asked them where their training comes from?

As others have said avoid the TKD like the plague. Not a bad style, just most schools have bad practices when it comes to sparing. TMAs are going to be a tad counter productive with the side stance if your focus is grappling.

I suggest seeing what the MT coaches have to offer and go from there. If you feel it does not work for you move on. Remember there is a wealth of knowledge on the net. Look at the MT series videos on the striking boards. They are great and can give you some stuff to work on if you have a heavy bag.
Later,
Zyph

Squerlli
7/03/2007 12:00am,
Muay Thai! **** regular boxing, go elbow someone till their fucking head caves in completely!