PDA

View Full Version : Call the WAAAAAAmbulance

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Poo-Jitsu
6/29/2007 12:41pm,
Need input.

The instructor at my school doesn't allow water breaks during class. It is hot as hell in there (no a/c, we wear the gi), and I am a bit of a ***** and would like the occasional water break, at least after drilling/before rolling.

I usually just get up and grab a sip, and he yells out that there is no water breaks. I figure I am paying to be in his class, wtf? I have run long distance for about 15 years so I have a good idea as to when my body needs to rehydrate.

So question is, is he just being a hardass? Should I pull him aside and ask him to revise his policy? Or just stfu noob and do what I am told. What would you all do?

FickleFingerOfFate
6/29/2007 12:45pm,
Need input.

The instructor at my school doesn't allow water breaks during class. It is hot as hell in there (no a/c, we wear the gi), and I am a bit of a ***** and would like the occasional water break, at least after drilling/before rolling.

I usually just get up and grab a sip, and he yells out that there is no water breaks. I figure I am paying to be in his class, wtf? I have run long distance for about 15 years so I have a good idea as to when my body needs to rehydrate.

So question is, is he just being a hardass? Should I pull him aside and ask him to revise his policy? Or just stfu noob and do what I am told. What would you all do?

Hydrate as well as possible before class,

and if it gets too bad, set off the fire sprinklers.

He'll either revise his policy or kick you out.

Either way, problem solved.

fes_fsa
6/29/2007 12:48pm,
tell everyone to fake passing out. if his class gets interrupted enough... he'll probably give in to the water break idea.

Abusivemelon
6/29/2007 12:51pm,
Talk to the guy, see if he has a good reason to dehydrate the class. Are you all obese and trying to lose weight?

Goju - Joe
6/29/2007 12:52pm,
I partially understand where your instructor is coming from in that people can use water breaks as excuses not to train and take it easy.

Also learning to function with out guzzling is important .

But hydrating is a health issue .

Maybe you should explain as a long distance runner you know that he could have someone pass out and sufer serious concequences if they're not properly hydrated

Also does your instructor particapate fully in the class doing the same physical activity?

Just wondering cause he sounds a bit like an ass.

Zangdog
6/29/2007 12:53pm,
Getting well hydrated before class (better yet, throughout the day) is excellent advice. It takes a couple of hours to rehydrate anyway, so you'd be better off that way.

Yet, that doesn't change the fact that if you're thirsty, you should drink. If he has a go at you about it, then get your dick out and slap him in the face.

Zangdog
6/29/2007 12:54pm,
Also does your instructor particapate fully in the class doing the same physical activity?

Just wondering cause he sounds a bit like an ass.

Good question, I can just imagine him strolling around while everyone else is working their arses off. Again, I just suggest dick-slapping.

Poo-Jitsu
6/29/2007 1:05pm,
thanks for the input.

to respond, he rolls with us, is an incredibly low-key, nice guy and his instruction is second to none. also, most everyone in the class is in top shape, not suprisingly considering how damned difficult the training is. and we dont go for more than an hour or so before breaking for the next class to begin. nevertheless i sweat like a whore in church.

all of that of course made me wonder what his motives were. i am thinking soju joe is on to it with lollygagging and whatnot.

funny thing is too, soju - i said exactly that to him monday night (regarding heat stroke and my experience with long distance running and hydration). he kind made a comment that sounded like "i have had a school for a long time and know what i am doing here, so stfu noob" - but of course put it in a MUCH nicer way than that.

guess i should probably just sack up. oh and dick slapping him would result in him tearing me limb from limb, i am sure.

vigilus
6/29/2007 1:09pm,
How long are your classes?

You can go an hour or two without drinking. Drink a bottle of water before class and one after, you'll be fine.

Poo-Jitsu
6/29/2007 1:19pm,
How long are your classes?

You can go an hour or two without drinking. Drink a bottle of water before class and one after, you'll be fine.

yeah dude, your probably teh correct.

in running, you are taught to continually sip fluids as you go, or at least each mile b/c it will catch you in a hurry and decrease your performance if you dont. and in shorter races (less than 6 miles) i rarely if ever drink at all.

just need to get out of that mentality.

oh and sack up. did i mention that already?

Fearless Ukemi
6/29/2007 1:26pm,
I wouldn't train there. What is it, the military? ****, I bring a 2 liter water bottle on the mat with me every class.

Kintanon
6/29/2007 1:32pm,
Good lord guys. I do 3 hours and only drink maybe 3/4 of a 20oz bottle of water. Are you all merpeople or something?

Ragnarok2006
6/29/2007 1:40pm,
On the street you dont get no damn water break. :qleft2:

Poo-Jitsu
6/29/2007 1:43pm,
ha, yeah i do consume an abnormal amount of fluids when i train.

as for not training there because of it, well the quality of instruction makes it worth it.

FickleFingerOfFate
6/29/2007 1:44pm,
ha, yeah i do consume an abnormal amount of fluids when i train.

as for not training there because of it, well the quality of instruction makes it worth it.

Unfortunately, that only leaves 'sack up'.

Adon4Ever
6/29/2007 1:47pm,
My classes (2 nights a week) are about 50 minutes, but are rather intense during that time. The other three days a week are when I train on my own - open workouts. Those usually last longer, because of the additional work involved - there's a set workout posted for us to use, at least as a guide.

I usually do NOT drink any water during class, though the instructor certainly doesn't mind anyone doing so. I do this so that I can keep going as much as possible, and build up my wind. And usually during open workouts I will do all my bagwork and/or sparring without taking a water break, then I will usually take one, then go on to do my conditioning and stomach work (and roadwork if I haven't already done it earlier in the day).

However, usually before and after a workout I will drink quite a bit. I like to try to pre-hydrate before a workout whenever possible. So that way I won't feel like I HAVE to interrupt my workouts for anything. I've just found that that helps me personally. Don't know how well this would work for anyone else here, but the OP asking about this is certainly welcome to give it a try.

Hope this helps.

Josh