PDA

View Full Version : koshiki karate

GoneSouth
6/28/2007 10:53am,
Alright, that annoying banner is back, tell me I haven't posted for a while, so I throw the following out for group consideration.

There is good karate out there! I used to train "shorinjiryu kenkokan" karate way back in the day (I won't get into how far back). This style was apparently founded just post-ww2 and billed itself as "scientific karate-do" - basically applying a critical eye to what techniques worked and what didn't. There have been a couple threads about this style, but I thought I'd give it some additional press.

stuff the bullshido crowd would like:

a) lots of intense training, 3x a week, mega pushups, situps, cardio
b) focused on real techniques - punching, kicking, keeping hands up, moving in and out of range, no death touches or wrist locks
c) cheap (back then) ! - $ 30 / month, no belt testing fees
d) not mcdojo - took 4 - 5 years for shodan, no kid black belts
e) live sparring, every class, for a good 1/4 - 1/3 of the class

s.k. karate used the koshiki style sparring system where you have a chest protector and head gear with plexiglass bubble face mask. This allowed full speed / full contact sparring. We used to call the head gear "the cheese grater" because the airholes in the plexiglass mask tore up peoples knuckles pretty good during sparring. People have said the koshiki protectors are actually too much protection, but I found they still provided excellent training for real fights. I actually won a street fight against a guy a fair bit bigger than me after less than a year of training in this system (drunken street fight record: 1-1-1). Here's a highlight reel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbxfyrq5dSQ

cheers !

jkdbuck76
6/28/2007 10:58am,
Why spar? Kempoka says you don't need to.

floonine
6/28/2007 11:57am,
Seriously though, I would give anything for a good $30 a month school. Too bad they don't exist anymore.

Oh! You know what would be even better? Not having claws for hands :(((((((

ronaldk
6/28/2007 12:19pm,
the level of agression is nice.

why not use some handwraps if the plexiglass busts up your hands? wraps would be a good idea regardless.

are takedowns allowed?

FictionPimp
6/28/2007 12:31pm,
there was a lot of reaching and grabing as defense as well as moving back in a straight line. All things not really advisable for good defense. Other then that, great vid.

GoneSouth
6/28/2007 3:20pm,
handwraps are not manly ;) (seriously though, I'm not sure, no one ever brought it up).

Takedowns are definitely allowed, and there are several of these in the clip. E.g., there's a typical catch and sweep @ 3:50 and even a judo style harai goshi @ 5:15. However, my recollection is, you don't get any points for the takedown itself, you're only awarded points if you get a shot in while they're down.

kwoww
6/28/2007 3:27pm,
If I hear another highlight video with a Disturbed song in it I will lose all faith in humanity.

Were you fighting in any of those? And wouldn't gloves make more sense than a facemask?

Virus
6/28/2007 6:40pm,
Why don't they keep thier hands up?

ronaldk
6/28/2007 8:04pm,
If I hear another highlight video with a Disturbed song in it I will lose all faith in humanity.

Were you fighting in any of those? And wouldn't gloves make more sense than a facemask?

i'm guessing they prefer the facemask to gloves as the facemask protects from the feet as well.

they could use "kicks" (foam instep covers) but then you have the fact that they're wearing chest protectors. kicking an unprotected head with foam is a nice amount of protection, but kicking a chest protector with a foam shoe would make kicking the body basically worthless. as it stands, they punch bareknuckle, to the chest protector, it makes a decent amount of contact, but if you add gloves, then body punches are also greatly diminished.

i think the simplest solution would be to just add handwraps. they want to keep the chest protectors to avoid the common pains you get in the stomach/chest area from fighting.

FictionPimp
6/28/2007 8:48pm,
Personally, just man up, wear gloves, no chest protector. If all these kickboxers can do it, I'd think karate guys could pull it off.

kwoww
6/28/2007 9:04pm,
Gloves > Chest protector + Helmet. If these guys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK-23qBlMpg) can do it bareknuckle, you can do it with gloves and foot/shin pads :D

But again, props for having alive training.