PDA

View Full Version : Superhero Kung Fu

Pages : [1] 2 3

theusualsuspect
6/26/2007 8:55pm,
These are from a kung fu school in Delaware that used to be somewhat respectable.

http://www.usawushu.net/SummerCamp2007/marvel.htm

http://www.usawushu.net/SummerCamp2007/starwars.htm

http://www.usawushu.net/SummerCamp2007/avatar.htm

WHAT THE ****. I don't care how bad the rent is, no school needs to lower itself to this kind of over-commerical trash. And according to their FAQ, they're charging over 100 bucks a week. I don't have a problem with martial arts schools with programs for little kids, but this grossly steps over the line between kids' martial arts and shameless McDojoism. The sad thing is, 10 years ago, this never would have happened with this school, as it was under drastically different management.

KickAHippie
6/26/2007 10:05pm,
Wow. Fucking wow.

colonelpong2
6/26/2007 10:18pm,
"With great skill comes great responsibility. What great skills do you possess? Pick your favorite Marvel Super Hero. Learn the skills and what it takes to be the bearer of great powers. Will you form a super hero team or will you fight crime single handed? Art projects will feature creating a brand new super hero with costume, powers and a mission. Movie time will feature various Marvel Super Hero cartoons"

I'll be "THE VAGRANT". My costume will be an old coat that smells of antelope urine.
For special powers I'll have the ability to sleep under a bridge and drink cheap wine from a brown paper bag.

Seriously though... my god... how did this happen?

Squerlli
6/26/2007 10:31pm,
the h0rr0r! T3H |-|0RR0R!!!

theusualsuspect
6/26/2007 10:37pm,
I really don't know how this happened. I honestly thought the school was about to cut the crap and impose some quality control until I saw this. I'll ask my friend who goes there if this is an insolated incident of unconstrainted stupid or whether it's integrated into the business model yet.

samnoth
6/26/2007 11:08pm,
Ooh! Jedi training! Screw chi, I'll use the Force.

Virus
6/26/2007 11:52pm,
It's just two forms of geekdom melding to one. Like attracts like.

theusualsuspect
6/26/2007 11:58pm,
ok, maybe. But then again, I don't see anyone promoting a BJJ/WH40K crossover via sickeningly commericalized kids' camps do I?

Just Guess
6/27/2007 12:36am,
If you can get the iron first or learn how to earth bend then no price is too much!

:toothy9: :icon_thum

ex_jungyae
6/27/2007 1:33am,
You could always report them to Marvel and so on... sinse I would guess they are using those with out the proper permissions. Trademarks are a bitch ;)

scocia
6/27/2007 1:55am,
Ummm. Call me crazy but this seems just like well, a kid's adventure camp. You know, where kids go and have fun, play super heroes for a little while whilst they are still young enough for it not to be kinda weird. Unless I've missed something?

Or is the problem that a MA school is running/organizing it?

The only thing that seems kind of dodgey to me would be the price, but then I've never ran a camp before so I have no idea what and how much it would take to run one.

floonine
6/27/2007 8:54am,
Oh dammit, this is for Kids? I really wanted to go to that Avatar camp. I come from a long line of water benders.

Yeah, while the price sounds a little high, it might be fair for an one entire week's worth of silly kiddie bullshit activities. I mean, they are probably giving out juice, for Christ's sake! Do you know how much that **** costs?

Although I agree that mixing "Self Defense" with "Optic Blasts" is a shitty move from a shitty school, it's always possible that they are just trying to have a fun summer camp experience [for the whole family lol].

TEA
6/27/2007 9:05am,
Ummm. Call me crazy but this seems just like well, a kid's adventure camp. You know, where kids go and have fun, play super heroes for a little while whilst they are still young enough for it not to be kinda weird. Unless I've missed something?

Yeah, its just for a bunch of kids. I don't see any claims of "t3h d34dly" in there and they aren't marketing it to adults. So whats the harm in letting kids be kids and have some fun before public education and a boring job suck the life out of them? WRT to the price, I'm not sure of all thats included (room, board, supplies for the arts & crafts classes, etc), so that may not be too outrageous a price.

theusualsuspect
6/27/2007 9:08am,
I completely understand how you could view this as just a silly kids camp thing, but the I feel that this particular martial arts school is going WAY beyond "silly kids camp" into a full blown LARPgasm. The point is they don't NEED to do this. They're not gonna go out of business if their summer camp is just about kung fu, plain and simple, without all the superhero/starwars/whateverthefuckavataris tie-ins.

And really, a martial arts school that doesn't through out a bunch of unrelated incentives like this is practicing a sort of unconscious system of filtering students who should be there and those who shouldn't. For example, this camp will attract the normal students of this school who routinely go because they love doing wushu. That's great, I have no problem with those students, and if they want to pretend they're Jedi knights for a week, fine, it's their time.

The problem lies in the other half. They're not students there yet, but they hear about this "awesome cool jedi/superhero/kung fu camp" from their friends and then they beg mommy and daddy to sign them up for classes at the school. Thing is, they're not signing up for the kung fu, they're going for the gimmick, which will be gone in a week. (if it isn't, the school has bigger problems) Now, while the gimmick is gone, the nice fat contract mom and dad signed isn't and all of a sudden, you get a large segment of students who never really wanted to learn wushu stuck in the school because it's run like a typical McDojo with a better way to bait and switch.

Lebell
6/27/2007 9:18am,
Superhero supermega camp...Jedi training....

Your lack of integrity disturbs me...
http://i10.tinypic.com/66j2r1d.jpg

Cuchulain
6/27/2007 9:21am,
holy crap. I would have loved to go to the starwars one when i was a kid, that.is.awesome.