PDA

View Full Version : RBSD are they worth it?

Corza
6/26/2007 4:57pm,
Just thought I'd get some peoples opinions on RBSD systems. With what I have seen from a lot of these self defence systems is that there is a lot of scenario based drills, awareness of your surrondings, emotion training (fight or flight stuff), muiltiple attackers, armed attackers and so on.
The thing is I have found that over the years of my training I have done a lot of this stuff anyway, I do enjoy that kind of training because it shows you what works and what doesn't, but I'm sure that there are many of you who already do this kind of training anyway.
I think that the best thing about these systems is they teach you about the initial stages of a confrontation, and the awareness stuff, trying to avoid dangerous situations.
So what I'm asking is, do you guys and gals think it's better to train what ever martial art you enjoy and include this kind of training, or take up one of these systems.

TKDBot
6/26/2007 4:58pm,
BULL RUSH ON Corza!!!

Lujke
6/26/2007 5:12pm,
There's useful stuff in some RBSD styles, less so in others.

Overall, I'd say train in what you enjoy: if you don't enoy your training, you probably won't keep doing it. And there's no style so good that not training in it outranks training in something else.

Of course, if you like some of the ideas or training methods in RBSD, it's always fun to pinch stuff from elsewhere to enhance what you're already doing. It's usually worth studying from the original source long enough to be able to train competently in whatever you're stealing. though.

Matt W.
6/26/2007 5:20pm,
So what I'm asking is, do you guys and gals think it's better to train what ever martial art you enjoy and include this kind of training

Yes. Often what happens is RBSD confuses the issue by talking about "self defense" which means many different things to many different people. To many, "self defense" means the ability to physically defend themselves from bullies and drunks and such. For that, hand to hand, unarmed fighting skills are best. To learn those skills, to learn how to fight, you go to people that know how to fight. Boxing, wrestling, MMA, good hardcore traditional arts that have a focus on pure fighting, etc.

But what RBSDers usually mean when they talk about self defense are situations where you must survive a violent criminal assault. That takes a whole different skillset of which actual fighting ability plays a very small role. Surviving such assaults has more to do with avoiding them in the first place (e.g. not looking like a victim), knowing how to act and react if you become the victim of one and, of course, appropriately arming yourself. ...Not eyegouging. Those things can be learned/gained with a bit of reading, taking a safety/crime prevention class and appropriately arming yourself.

And that is not even mentioning the "bad" RBSD out there that teaches crappy techniques with a poor training methodology...

Captain Planet
6/26/2007 8:21pm,
Train in what you enjoy. Most of the stuff they teach in the rbsd systems is common sense. Read a book or do a seminar or something don't don't waste years learning what can take a week.

Poo-Jitsu
6/26/2007 8:35pm,
here is an article you may want to read regarding self defense.

http://www.realfighting.com/0503/mthornton.html

i used to train for self defense and i found that it made me paranoid.

colonelpong2
6/26/2007 8:57pm,
strange this thread comes up during RBSD sucks month....

Hanniballistic
6/26/2007 9:07pm,
I have an extensive RBSD resume in addition to my MA training. The two are related but very different.

RBSD is NOT fighting or combat as such - it is strategies, tactics and physical responses to potential violent criminal acts. The big problem is it is very easy to claim you teach RBSD without having any pedigree in a combative style (Elmore anyone?)

Most of the high level RBSD guys I have experienced have training in a martial art (usually several) BEFORE they then adapted it for "the streets" - Geoff Thompson and Peter Consterdine are two that spring to mind and represent the very best of RBSD out there.

RBSD is a useful supplement to MA training rather than a replacement.

chroux
6/27/2007 3:51am,
Like the others said, train first in what you enjoy, be it karate, aikido, tkd, etc...
RBSD mainly teaches you how not to get a target, and how to get out of the situation quickly.
One of the best RBSD technique is to be on the lookout and ready to run fast at any time!
If it get physical, 99.9% of martial arts will give you techniques to use to defend yourself one way or another.
A good thing with pressure training like "adrenaline pumping drill", is that it makes you think about what would work if you are in less than ideal situation. By that I mean no mats, no rules, adreline pumping, motor skills crashing down. It's an eye opener.
It's a good complement to normal training, but I would not let it take over my normal training.

Corza
6/27/2007 6:36pm,
Thanx for all your replies, I especially like the article from poo-jitsu. I think what I might go try a rbsd system for a once off, get a geoff thompson book and just carry on training the way I have been. Been doing stand up arts for years, and I started bjj reluctantly at first but then really got into it, might try a fma art as well, haven't done that much weapon stuff. Anyway thanx all.

Hanniballistic
6/27/2007 8:25pm,
If you want RBSD books read "Dead or Alive" by Geoff Thompson or my personal favourite "Streetwise" by Peter Consterdine.

Geoffs offers more technique based principles whereas Pete is more conceptual - if you can buy both