PDA

View Full Version : austin jujutsu, yo.

Buckaroo
6/26/2007 4:32pm,
I searched and am pretty sure I couldn't find an identical post, just one that was very similar. I suppose I get a hard on for Japanese martial arts, but i want to practice Japanese Jujutsu. Im in austin and as far as i can find there is one japanese jujutsu class-which ive already been to and am not sure i feel like returning-and a shitload of BJJ classes. If anyone can prove me wrong, they would get many leg humpings, or whatever form of gratitude you people employ.

GhostOfKimura
6/26/2007 4:33pm,
Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, sanneth. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

Lujke
6/26/2007 5:14pm,
Don't know anything about clubs in Austin, but I'm just curious: why the preference for JJJ over BJJ?

Hedgehogey
6/26/2007 5:18pm,
Well i'm an otaku and I practice BJJ at the Relson Gracie Academ (austinjj.com), so if you wanna learn the million different japanese names for different techniques while you practice (which is really the only benefit to JJJ over BJJ) then we'd be happy to have you. I'll play my mix cd full of anime OP/EDs if that sweetens the deal.

Buckaroo
6/27/2007 12:35am,
I'm all for blasting the anime while practicing. But does BJJ have all the throws? Bullshit or not, I enjoy the throws. If I can pull an ogoshi off once during live training, id feel cool for the rest of my life.

Oh, and thats the main reason ive so far chosen jjj over bjj. I like all the stand up and throws that are included in jjj. but, since most bjj places offer mma and other stuff too, the main advantage is the take downs. So i may noobly think.

Munacra
6/27/2007 12:39am,
Throws? Why not try Judo instead of Japanese Jujutsu?

Hedgehogey
6/27/2007 12:39am,
Yes. We do takedowns regularly, and every tournament we put on has a seperate takedown only division, which I won in the lightweight category last time with footsweeps. We have a frigging wrestling olympian.

I don't understand where people get this impression that the BJJ overmind has programmed us to do nothing but jump guard like retarded trapeze artists.

Buckaroo
6/27/2007 12:41am,
hot damn, if i can find the money im there. Way to go, anti-ninjer.

Hedgehogey
6/27/2007 12:48am,
Come in and try a class at least. The sample class is free and you do what everyone else does, the prices are reasonable and Phil and Christy are flexible about payments, with no contracts. You owe it to yourself to find out what real humanity is after the cold, loveless wastelands of the bujinkan.

selfcritical
6/27/2007 5:00pm,
Also check out Vandry's if you're up north, and the UT judo club if you take classes there(75$ a sememster and three classes a week with people on the Olympic Team)

Buckaroo
6/29/2007 12:10am,
I couldn't find Vandry's prices online. Are you able to give me an in the ballpark for rates?

Hedgehogey
6/29/2007 12:15am,
Well i'll be at open mat tommorow. Let me know.

Buckaroo
6/29/2007 12:22am,
I have a late shift tomorrow, so I could make it to the 12-2 session.

jnp
6/29/2007 12:24am,
I couldn't find Vandry's prices online. Are you able to give me an in the ballpark for rates?
I train under William. He won't discuss prices online or on the phone. You have to go talk to him in person.

While not too terribly costly, I feel comfortable telling you that he isn't inexpensive either.

As far as takedowns are concerned, all they have right now is me. While I was a successful high school wrestler, I certainly was never olympic material.

This message brought to you by poor salesmanship.

Buckaroo
6/29/2007 12:27am,
It's cool jnp. Ill only be here for a few months before im back in dallas for school anyways. Hedge's place seems pretty cool and easy to obtain the cash for. Maybe I'll see you at a throwdown, or whatever those things ive never been to are called.

Oh and im not sure if you actually remember me, hedge, but i met you at main event back when all the anime peeps met up there. I was the sans girlfriend ninjutsu/jujutsu guy.