PDA

View Full Version : tn shaolin

Pages : [1] 2

dragonman
6/26/2007 3:28pm,
as a school owner of mullins shaolin in tn i am very unhappy with the integrity of the martial arts community on making unqualified decisions ofour school. addressing the comment of us being a mcdojo, we charge the most resonable fees in the area with no test fees. And on the subject of grandmaster sin, i personally train with grandmaster sin privately and can testify to his abilities. we have always enjoyed sparring with other styles, host open style tournaments, and open our sparring to other styles. if anyone has any questions of shaolin in tn they are more than welcome to call, write, or visit and we will answer any questions you may have. this also includes training and sparring so that we can clear the air. if you have any questions you can reach garry mullins at 423 282 9099,me kevin at 423 587 6360, or mike 865 556 0463

hitechhillbilly
6/26/2007 3:36pm,
It would help if you provided a link to the post you are referencing as to the disparaging remarks.

I see you are located in Morristown, TN. Where is the school you are refering to located?

dragonman
6/26/2007 3:49pm,
there is negative remarks all over here about shaolin and we were just trying to help answer some of the questions that people might have

artard
6/26/2007 3:54pm,
like what specifically, is this about my thread which is just a couple posts down because that was created specifically about CSC and the soards, not mullins

HonkyTonkMan
6/26/2007 3:58pm,
It would go a long way in helping Shaolin if you could use some punctuation.

It is Fake
6/26/2007 3:59pm,
Seriously, you need to specify what threads.

If not it will be moved to another forum called Your Martial Art Sucks=YMAS.

Then, you will have something to complain about.

Welcome to bullshido.

Better yet, I'm going to ask that this is moved to movie town before it turns into a cluster.

two things.

1) Be honest
2) Don't make outrageous claims.

They'll move it out of newbietown in a heart beat.

dragonman
6/26/2007 4:05pm,
specifics about grandmaster the': does he have 900 forms? I don't have a clue. i know in the 22 years that i have been training that i have always learned new material. i enjoy what i do and teach and love working to get better at it. As far as the other shaolin do schools, what they do is their business. i am concerned about keeping my two teachers happy, grandmaster the and garry mullins

dragonman
6/26/2007 4:15pm,
no this wasn't any response to a thread bout the soards or csc.

dragonman
6/26/2007 4:17pm,
the least of my concerns is punctuation or grammar. haha i sucked at that in school which is why i punch and kick for a living

It is Fake
6/26/2007 4:22pm,
So, the 900 forms comments irritate you?

Well, you have to understand that's a ton of information. He is a labeled a Grand Masters. That implies mastery of said 900 forms. That's one reason of many that he gets crap.

dragonman
6/26/2007 4:27pm,
yeah i can understand the animosity towards the mastery of 900 forms. i have a ton of forms and technically i am a associate master, does that mean i have mastered all of the forms that i know? Hell no. there is moves in forms that i can't even do but that is the great part because it makes you become a better martial artist to achieve those moves and there applications

It is Fake
6/26/2007 4:30pm,
yeah i can understand the animosity towards the mastery of 900 forms. i have a ton of forms and technically i am a associate master, does that mean i have mastered all of the forms that i know? Hell no. there is moves in forms that i can't even do but that is the great part because it makes you become a better martial artist to achieve those moves and there applications
Interesting. Wouldn't it be better to have a set of techniques at the ready instead of constantly learning new styles and new techniques?

Tom Kagan
6/26/2007 4:33pm,
From the OP's website FAQ, excerpted from: http://www.mullins-shaolin.com/faq/faq.htm:

Do I have to sign a contract?
We use a local billing agency for our payments, and because of filing requirements, we do require a three month minimum, but you are not locked into a long term contract.

Are there other costs?
Here at Mullins Martial Arts we are proud to claim that we are the only martial arts school in the Tri-Cities area with no hidden fees! One fee covers the cost of both Kung Fu and Tai Chi classes. And unlike most other martial arts schools, there is never a fee to test. That, along with the best trained staff in the area, makes us the best deal imaginable!

(emphasis mine)

No, it does not look like you are a McDojo.

It does not appear anyone said anything about your school(s) in Tennessee.

Other than trying to distance yourself from some Shaolin Do schools run by other elders and which questionable business practices accusations have been made by many former students, what impression exactly do you have which needed you to try and "clear the air" ? I don't see it.

Wolf
6/26/2007 4:38pm,
probably the reputation Sin The has over here.

Phrost
6/26/2007 4:54pm,
CMA mods, let us know if you want this in the CMA forum.

Actually, where the hell is RM lately?

hitechhillbilly
6/26/2007 4:56pm,
If there hasn't been a specific post about your school, master, etc. I don't see what the problem is. A lot of schools get criticized on here, but it is usually legitimate criticism.

As far as your style, I don’t think anyone has a problem with Shaolin Kung Fu in general. I believe that their criticism is more with specific schools and business practices. As was previously posted, from a brief look at your website, it doesn’t appear that your particular school is a McDojo.

This site is more of a resource for students of the martial arts, so that they may share experiences and information on shady characters and organizations that are only interested in ripping people off, or worse.

As you appear to be a valid instructor at a valid school, I would assume you would welcome a place that points potential students away from places that are only out to take their money without teaching them anything valid. Further, this site educates those potential students on how to look for a valid school, and what to expect, so that when they walk into good schools, they recognize them as such.

I wouldn’t take the comments on here about other schools personally, even if those schools practice the same martial art as you.