PDA

View Full Version : Why do ninjas make a big deal about "distance" and "timing"?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

shmuel
6/26/2007 5:31am,
In addition to going on and on about t3h f33ling, have you noticed how obsessed ninjas are about talking about distancing and timing as though they were some mystical powers. The way they go on and on about it, you would think that ninjutsu was the only martial art to have distancing and timing.

The kind of crap you hear includes the following:

- "We don't need to be strong/fast/fit because we rely on timing"

- "Grappling isn't important because we use distancing and angles"

- "You don't need to learn formal sword techniques as long as you control the distance"

- "Koryu practitioners only do kata while we learn the timing"

etc. etc. etc.

Do these ninjas really believe that distancing and timing is something unique to ninjutsu? Gimme a break.

A decent boxer or kendoka knows more about distancing and timing than most of the ninjas put together.

bricco
6/26/2007 5:43am,
Simple: they need to base their... uh... "discipline" on something that they can imagine to improve while LARPing.

JohnnyFive
6/26/2007 7:44am,
If a person has never trained alive, their understanding of 'distance' and 'timing' and what it means to 'know' a technique is vastly different from those of us who do train alive. You will not win this argument (I don't know if there is an argument or if you're just venting) with words.

Virus
6/26/2007 9:17am,
Martial arts that are useless and not based on real fighting tend to compensate with pseudo-intellectual filler.

A ninjer, training the way 99% of bujinkan school do, will never develop functional timing.

Nick K
6/26/2007 9:32am,
Hey Virus - did you paint that Emperor's Champion yourself? Nice job.

money
6/26/2007 11:06am,
If a person has never trained alive, their understanding of 'distance' and 'timing' and what it means to 'know' a technique is vastly different from those of us who do train alive. You will not win this argument (I don't know if there is an argument or if you're just venting) with words.

Well for someone who hasn't trained alive, it can be misleading, because paired kata can teach you distance just fine. IE, how close you have to be to hit someone.

What it doesn't teach you, and this is the key point, is how to control that distance.

I came to that realization on my own after doing several years of Shinkendo, then trying Kendo.

Boyd
6/26/2007 11:16am,
Martial arts pleasantries. Oversimplified statements too nonspecific to disagree with, too general to be of any practical use. Traditional arts are rife with them. Have you ever had someone tell you to "learn from all arts" and "reject what is useless"? Same idea.

jkdbuck76
6/26/2007 11:30am,
"distance" and "timing" are there to take the place
of "adrenaline" and "spontaneity".

all the booj E kan I've seen work out were slow and the
stuff they did was just clunky, unnatural and plain retarded
and nobody threw punches or kicks that actually could HIT
someone.

Yamamoto
6/26/2007 12:08pm,
In addition to going on and on about t3h f33ling, have you noticed how obsessed ninjas are about talking about distancing and timing as though they were some mystical powers. The way they go on and on about it, you would think that ninjutsu was the only martial art to have distancing and timing.

Lmao,there is no Ninja anything.......I am honored to see so many American masters of the Shinobido.Real Ninjutsu is not taught,especially anywhere in the western world.As far as the minimal combat ethics,Jujutsu,Chin na,Koppo ken,are some of the elements of"ground work".There is only a ratio of 4 percent actual traditional training left on the face of the planet.......let alone the overkill on American soil.The bullshit rumors of all these phoney ryuha and teachers migrating is loaded with contraversy this includes all the Bujutsu and Budo teachings of Kan.

Here is example of what IS not taught,but is t3h d3adly............Kakijutsu:

http://w134.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w134.photobucket.com/albums/q101/Tengumono/1181180864.pbw

Ninjutsu is and was not some sloppy crap that is so frequently shown by frauds with mixed sloppy karatedo mixed into it.Nor is it some hashed up re watered garbage that the kan's profess it is fuedal warfare method's

http://w134.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w134.photobucket.com/albums/q101/Tengumono/1179932735.pbw

Private method of Kaki method(scroll) of devices.....

I will not get into what it takes to train unless I receive intelligent responces.The fat gaijin slobs would not know this while they are slamming burgers down their throats or drinking beer at a local kan center.Training is a way of life and takes 7 days a week times a number of years well into your elderly segmentation.Then again I am not an American bak yaro claiming such mastery so it would not be believable,so as this place states proof is in visuals and documentation...and I say no one trains anymore I will be back over the next few days to bust some field stone barehanded for everyone which also takes years to master something the gaijin will not understand they talk of skill but their sloppy examples say otherwise.Anyone who claims to be soke or ninja speaks for itself most ryuha is dead.....and their are no clan masters around!

USMC0351
6/26/2007 12:11pm,

The kind of crap you hear includes the following:

- "We don't need to be strong/fast/fit because we rely on timing"

- "Grappling isn't important because we use distancing and angles"

- "You don't need to learn formal sword techniques as long as you control the distance"

- "Koryu practitioners only do kata while we learn the timing"

etc. etc. etc.

Do these ninjas really believe that distancing and timing is something unique to ninjutsu? Gimme a break.

A decent boxer or kendoka knows more about distancing and timing than most of the ninjas put together.

Because ninjers are silly and don't know better. Imagine that the guy/people you learned your 'art' with were the martial arts equivilant of Ren-Fair people; wouldn't you want to justify it a little with distance/timing/vorpal hand of masterbation +27?

Boyd
6/26/2007 12:34pm,
I will not get into what it takes to train unless I receive intelligent responces.The fat gaijin slobs would not know this while they are slamming burgers down their throats or drinking beer at a local kan center.Training is a way of life and takes 7 days a week times a number of years well into your elderly segmentation.Then again I am not an American bak yaro claiming such mastery so it would not be believable,so as this place states proof is in visuals and documentation...and I say no one trains anymore I will be back over the next few days to bust some field stone barehanded for everyone which also takes years to master something the gaijin will not understand they talk of skill but their sloppy examples say otherwise.Anyone who claims to be soke or ninja speaks for itself most ryuha is dead.....and their are no clan masters around!

You'd probably receive more intelligent responses if every third word in your post wasn't a strained attempt to force Japanese words into English sentences.

FickleFingerOfFate
6/26/2007 12:45pm,

Lmao,there is no Ninja anything.......I am honored to see so many American masters of the Shinobido.Real Ninjutsu is not taught,especially anywhere in the western world.As far as the minimal combat ethics,Jujutsu,Chin na,Koppo ken,are some of the elements of"ground work".There is only a ratio of 4 percent actual traditional training left on the face of the planet.......let alone the overkill on American soil.The bullshit rumors of all these phoney ryuha and teachers migrating is loaded with contraversy this includes all the Bujutsu and Budo teachings of Kan.

http://w134.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w134.photobucket.com/albums/q101/Tengumono/1181180864.pbw

Ninjutsu is and was not some sloppy crap that is so frequently shown by frauds with mixed sloppy karatedo mixed into it.Nor is it some hashed up re watered garbage that the kan's profess it is fuedal warfare method's

http://w134.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w134.photobucket.com/albums/q101/Tengumono/1179932735.pbw

tl;dr

Slipster
6/26/2007 2:19pm,
...the stuff they did was just clunky, unnatural and plain retarded
and nobody threw punches or kicks that actually could HIT someone.What's with the lunge punches? I saw it once in a class I visited and I couldn't understand why most of the techniques were against a lunging punch.

Red Sauce
6/26/2007 2:28pm,

blah blah blah blah

looks at me i know ninja links lol

lol my ninjatsu is real

I will not get into what it takes to train unless I receive some e-peen stroking!
Anyone who claims to be soke or ninja speaks for itself most ryuha is dead.....and their are no clan masters around!
p.s I is a real real REAL japanese if u cannot tells from my use of teh word "gaijin" at every possible opportunity roflol

fixed

http://www.kscakes.com.nyud.net:8080/LolCats/Uploads/Saved/hai-n00b-u-r-disgrace-2-mah-name.jpg

money
6/26/2007 2:51pm,
larp larp larp

omg flaming ninja stars, that is awesome.

jkdbuck76
6/26/2007 4:19pm,
What's with the lunge punches? I saw it once in a class I visited and I couldn't understand why most of the techniques were against a lunging punch.

Same reason kuksool (aka Suck Tool ) does most of their techniques against a rear front kick and a right hand punch..... You're "feeding" techniques to a guy with no variation and therefore no thought process.