PDA

View Full Version : finding forgery

somhairle1314
6/22/2007 10:26am,
Hello all, this is my first post on this site. I am a second dan in Shotokan Karate. However, I have a more pertinant question. I am trying to understand what I fear is fraud. We have all probably seen videos or pictures of shaolin monks bashing bricks, hit with hammers, or putting spears in their throats and not being peirced by them. I have heard of a new one. There is a Jujutsu school near my area where a friend of mine takes lessons. The Instructor took a machete blade and placed it at his stomache and, with assistance pushed it into his abdomen. Rather than it puncturing him as it should have, the blade broke into five separate pieces. My question is, how is this done? I find it difficult to believe but don't know the tricks myself. any clueins would be appreciated.

Thanks

TKDBot
6/22/2007 10:27am,
In spite of what some other web-sites would have you believe, we here at Bullshido.net welcome you, somhairle1314, with open arms and hope that you will share with us your unique experiences and ideas on the martial arts.... so that we may then make fun of those experiences and ideas.

Invader_Chris
6/22/2007 10:31am,
A magician never reveals his secrets!

ignatzami
6/22/2007 10:44am,
Few thoughts off the top of my head (without knowing the details)

Is it a dull blade?
Is the blade placed on edge, on the tang, or flat?
Is the instructor clothed? if so in what? A Gi will offer much more protection then say rash guard.
What material is the blade made of?

I would assume its stage magic. Not necessarily "forgery" unless he's attributing it to something other then a trick.

somhairle1314
6/22/2007 11:36am,
he had removed his shirt, as to the sharpness/dullness of the blade I have no idea. He was attributing it to Ki. Thanks to all for the quick, and sometimes humorous, responses

kwoww
6/22/2007 11:44am,
If he's claiming it's because of his Chi, then it's probably just a trick, but I'm going to be open-minded and leave in the possibility that he just might be that badass.

Ask him if you or someone else can try it on him.

He and Chriss Angel should have lunch.

Lujke
6/22/2007 1:08pm,
Bring him your own machette that is sharp as it should be and of good quality and ask him to do it.

And please get a video of it :qgreenjum

Seriously, though, it's highly likely to be BS.

If this guy could seriously make his flesh impervious to a real, sharp blade through the use of ki, chi or prana energy he would probably qualify to win a million dollars from the Randi organisation (http://www.randi.org/research/index.html) - tell him quick, and ask if you can have 10% of his winnings as a 'finder fee'.

Abusivemelon
6/22/2007 1:52pm,
I assume weak points made in the blade by filing it down or very brittle material. Obviously the blade would not be sharp where it touched his stomach. I don't understand what these frauds think they are achieving when they do this kind of thing.

fes_fsa
6/22/2007 2:33pm,
if the machete broke in 5 different places... it's a trick machete.

kinda like when they used to hit each other with 2 x 4's in wwf--they would saw the "break points" down so that very little force would need to be used in order to break them against another person's body/head.