PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes a "complete" style? Any such thing?

Golden Spider
6/20/2007 9:25pm,
I have noticed, in the years that I have bounced around dojos and kwoons in east TN and western NC, that there seems to be a broad discrepency between what some call a complete style. The number of Dan ranks vs. # of two person forms vs. supplementery exercises and sometimes mythology that leads to "trancendental" or superhuman abilities. Weapons, herbs, chigong, "iron" this, that, and the other. Is there a standard in the more *traditional* Japanese systems, or, the styles of kungfu that supposedly originated in this temple or that, or what? What makes a "complete" style? Any standardized interpretations, or just more baloney for advertising?~Thanks

Golden Spider
6/27/2007 10:26pm,
Wow you guys, don't drown me with opinions.

chaosexmachina
6/27/2007 11:52pm,
No such thing, in my mind. The closest thing I can think of would be training with the Dog Brothers.

socratic
6/30/2007 7:23am,
Unless you were (as previously mentioned) training with The Dog Brothers you wouldn't really get striking, (ground) grappling and weaponwork in a single art. The closest to a complete art I figure would then be one that includes striking and groundfighting, so I say Shooto (if I understand it correctly) or something like that.

The_Tao
7/02/2007 9:34am,
if you train in some kung fu styles there are forms were you have ground fighting and stand up techniques, but you have to think about it to find it.

roly
7/02/2007 7:32pm,
if you train in some kung fu styles there are forms were you have ground fighting and stand up techniques, but you have to think about it to find it.

incorrect

socratic
7/02/2007 11:41pm,

Yeah, not even close. Methinks troll.

The_Tao
7/02/2007 11:47pm,
how am I incorrect? from my ( although limited) experience the are forms where you will drop to the ground, perform rolls, kicks, punches and/or motions for locks while on the ground. but that is from only my experience, while as it may be true that some/most systems do not have that.

Hedgehogey
7/03/2007 12:03am,
Get out before I cause another three of your style's blackbelts to want to take up BJJ.

DerAuslander
7/03/2007 12:52am,
As someone who practices martial arts in a temple...I find temple kung fu to be funny.

Grayson Drake
7/10/2007 11:52pm,
Our style is pretty complete. Sil Lum Kung fu. We train for punches/kicks/takedowns/groundfighting/weapons/internal/external/circular/linear/locks/throws/falls/trapping/weapons/knife defenses... You name it we do it. Shaolin kung fu was originally a complete system... some poepl have just changed it over time.