PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is Nami-Ryu!

Pages : [1] 2

zengun9
6/20/2007 4:32pm,
Can anyone tell me what the hell is Nami-ryu! Everytime I turn around there is a new style
pop-ping up. Is this system good or just another friggin money making McDojo.

Bladesinger
6/20/2007 4:36pm,
Nami-ryu is clearly based on the teachings of Namor, the Sub-Mariner.

http://www.superheroinecentral.com/~wizard/Scarlet/images/SWGuest_01/namor.jpg

It's not for those who love the ladies.

shinbushi
6/20/2007 7:20pm,
Nami Ryu is the art of the owner of bugei.com. (They have very good swords, but pricy) I usually get my cutting mats from them.

Nami Ryu Aiki Heiho

James Williams is the President of Bugei Trading Company, Inc. He has been studying martial arts since 1960 and teaching since 1975. James has trained, competed in, and taught a number of different martial disciplines: Japanese, Okinawan, Chinese, Filippino, as well as the Brazilian system of Jujitsu as taught by Rorion and Royce Gracie. His experience includes western wrestling, which he also coached, as well as competing in boxing and kickboxing. His love of samurai martial traditions came with his study of the Yanagi ryu of the Yoshida han under Don Angier Sensei and the martial traditions of the Kuroda han as taught by Kuroda Tetsuzan Sensei. James also studied Daito ryu Roppokai with Okamoto Seigo sensei.

Angier Sensei did not want formal teaching of Yanagi ryu outside of the Hombu dojo, this policy is true to this day. We mutually decided on the name Nami ryu for my style and I continued to travel to Long Beach to further my studies with Angier Sensei.

Odacon
6/21/2007 9:26am,
Nami means wave right?

plasma
6/21/2007 10:11am,
Nami means wave right?

Yes.

Bugei is a good site and there president is legit, whats the question?

If you want Classical Jujutsu then go learn there.

zengun9
6/26/2007 1:35pm,
I'm not saying Bugei is not a good site, it's an awesome store and you need to get your facts right. I think James is no longer the president of the company. he likes to think and act like it but he is hardly there and too busy to care. Hanwei is taking their sweet time delivering their orders and customers are waiting. Mr. Jessie is the man of the company.

So nami-ryu is a made up style. I went to his website and I did not see any ranking. He just have expiriences in different MA but no true ranking. So how can that be legit. hardly call it legit and I hardly call it classical Jujits.

Yes.

Bugei is a good site and there president is legit, whats the question?

If you want Classical Jujutsu then go learn there.

shinbushi
6/26/2007 1:46pm,
Angier Sensei did not want formal teaching of Yanagi ryu outside of the Hombu dojo, this policy is true to this day. We mutually decided on the name Nami ryu for my style and I continued to travel to Long Beach to further my studies with Angier Sensei.
Reposted

lucky_8353
8/16/2007 1:08pm,
Zengun9,

To write that Nami-Ryu is made up makes it sound like Mr. Williams just decided to engineer an art and then opened a dojo. This is not the case at all, Mr. Williams has years of training. Yanagi Ryu (Angier's style) is a family art and doesn't have rank to give, Kuroda Han Jujutsu is also a family art (not sure if Kuroda Tetsuan Sensei has given rank or not). I've never trained with him but have seen some videos of him on youtube and hear very good things about him from my iaido instructor. Send him an e-mail or give him a call if you have questions; he will know more about himself that anyone on this board. His Nami Ryu dojo (at one time) also had BJJ and Kyudo (taught by other instructors).

Regards,

Andrew

Gezere
8/17/2007 6:10am,
Zengun9,

To write that Nami-Ryu is made up makes it sound like Mr. Williams just decided to engineer an art and then opened a dojo. This is not the case at all, Mr. Williams has years of training. Yanagi Ryu (Angier's style) is a family art and doesn't have rank to give, Kuroda Han Jujutsu is also a family art (not sure if Kuroda Tetsuan Sensei has given rank or not). I've never trained with him but have seen some videos of him on youtube and hear very good things about him from my iaido instructor. Send him an e-mail or give him a call if you have questions; he will know more about himself that anyone on this board. His Nami Ryu dojo (at one time) also had BJJ and Kyudo (taught by other instructors).

Regards,

Andrew
Koryu JJ does have rank it just not the kyu/dan system we see now.

"Made up" is still apt even if he took legit lessons then combined it into his own style.

eyebeams
8/17/2007 6:28am,
I think this is kind of a special case. It's basically Angier's art with the name changed to keep him or his students from claiming a branch lineage.

lucky_8353
8/17/2007 9:47am,
Asia wrote: "Koryu JJ does have rank it just not the kyu/dan system we see now.
"Made up" is still apt even if he took legit lessons then combined it into his own style."

I agree with Asia's assertion but not all Koryu arts are family arts and I am positive Angier does not give rank. If we are using "made-up" loosely, then yes Mr. Williams made-up Nami-Ryu and I will add that almost all dojos I've visited have made up arts since no art has gone completely uninfluenced by the sensei teaching it. I've trained with three different kyoju dairi holders in Daito Ryu and three different blackbelts in BJJ; they all "made-up" the art they taught to fit their body, attitude, and predispositions to winning. If you read up on Nami Ryu or Yanagi Ryu, you will find that they are both "principle" based arts; of course, all of us will apply those principles in a slightly different way to fit our body style, predispositions (what one likes to do), etc.

If the question is to Mr. Williams' legitimacy, then I will give my vote for him being legit in that he was taught by persons who know their arts (Angier, Kuroda, and Okamoto) for years. As I wrote before, if you're interested, then go pay him a visit and find out.

dgilliespie
1/20/2008 4:10pm,
then go pay him a visit and find out.
I did and I wasn't impressed at all so I asked two other 'real' koryu teachers to go and see him (once at a seminar and once at a demo) - they agreed with me. Whatever it may be it's just a made up mashup of different techniques. Plus he has real attitude problem when asked what affiliations his dojo has in case my son joined and then wanted to train in Japan - answer was 'mind your own business' - All in all not worth even another visit to see if my original opinion was too hasty.

Chimpirabozu
12/14/2008 5:06pm,
Well here is more intersting info and mudslinging on this Nami-Ryu

Suuuuper Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maobVzB57T0

Thread from E-Budo

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41998

Now why am I posting this stuff here.

#1 it is clearly Bullshit

#2 Some people at E-budo protect such bullshit. I had posted the info in the baffling budo section originally and then it got moved to the members lounge since it was deemed as non baffling. from that point I asked the mod in question why he was protecting and moving a thread that clearly showed a lot of B.S and that other fools had been crucified on E-budo for the same stuff but now James Williams was all ok?? So for that I got Jailed with not even any way to contact any of the admins or mods. Now this also shows E-budo is somehow very biased or have a mod or mods that protect such bullshit. I do hope some mods or admins of E-budo will read this and correct the situation and write to the moderator concerned by this lack of fairness in treating everybody equally.

Rancid Pantaloons
12/14/2008 5:59pm,
I must ask what a bujikan jj instructor is? or what jj stands 4?

lucky_8353
1/02/2009 2:31pm,
I'm a member of e-budo and I read and post there and I hate to write that the more I'm on that forum, the more I understand why people have left.

Lucky

Chimpirabozu
1/02/2009 3:27pm,
Okay all I have to say is that as far as I am concerned there seems that there is a moderator on E-budo that is protecting his friends even if they are promoting Bullshit.

I got banned from there on the 31st of December and I did not do anything other than state my opinion and I got to be the one attacked by some users that even involved my religious status to attack me an dnothing was done about it and all that did haapen was thet i got banned.

It is sad to say but E-budo is not what it used to be. They will trash idiots like Frank Dux etc but when it comes to Nami-ryu we cannot say a word.