PDA

View Full Version : How does one get started???(female Fighter)

Viod0
6/20/2007 1:50pm,
My main goal is to fight professionally. I have one big problem.... no mma training. I know it's going to take a while before I'm ready to fight, even if it's amatuer.... but how do I get started?

I'd really just like to jump in the ring/cage with someone to see how I do...but getting my ass handed to me might leave me permenately damaged/hopsitalized and lower my confidence level.

There are no good MMA schools in my immediate area as far as I know. (eastchester, ny) I think I'd have to travel into the city to find a good school.

I want to be taken seriously... I don't want to be just thrown into some BS Women's Self Defense class. And I don't want to learn goddamned boxing!!! (lol been offered boxing instructions dozens of times)

I don't want to just take classes to earn belts. I want to actually fight.... I want full contact sparring (when I'm ready of course).

What do I do here?

BJJbot
6/20/2007 1:51pm,
Welcome to the Bullshido Forums Viod0... Make sure you review your dojo (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83) and add it to your user control panel so you can get the http://www.bullshido.net/images/dojoreview1.gif icon in your user info bar in your posts.

fes_fsa
6/20/2007 2:18pm,
My main goal is to fight professionally. I have one big problem.... no mma training. I know it's going to take a while before I'm ready to fight, even if it's amatuer.... but how do I get started?

start with taking a class that offers full contact. this can be grappling or striking.

I'd really just like to jump in the ring/cage with someone to see how I do...but getting my ass handed to me might leave me permenately damaged/hopsitalized and lower my confidence level.

no respectable school is gonna let somebody beat the **** out of you.
because you're a girl, they'll probably have you sit out the first time just so you can see what you're getting yourself into/get familiar with what the movement looks like.

I want to be taken seriously... I don't want to be just thrown into some BS Women's Self Defense class. And I don't want to learn goddamned boxing!!! (lol been offered boxing instructions dozens of times)

look for some school you're interested in in your area and post it here.
i'm sure somebody here has studied there and can give constructive criticism of that school.

don't knock women's self defense. i checked out my school because they offer it... and there are NO OTHER WOMEN in my class but me. i train hard with men.

also... don't knock boxing either. you get alot of good fundamentals from boxing.

fes_fsa
6/20/2007 2:19pm,
oh yeah...

and welcome to bullshido. :)

Ming Loyalist
6/20/2007 2:24pm,
good advice from fes_fsa

one thing, look for a coach that doesn't water down everything "cause you're a girl" my teacher never did that, and i have a lot of tough as nails female training partners because of that.

telling us what part of the world you live in would be a good start.

if there's a straight blast gym in your area, go there and check it out, i have never heard anything bad about SBG. http://www.straightblastgym.com/

EDIT - just read that you are near NYC

go to the local SBG, www.roninathletics.com seriously

WhiteShark
6/20/2007 2:27pm,
Search google for BJJ and you zip code. Then come ask us about the school.

You must not have tried very hard there is a Relson Gracie school right near you. http://www.gracieny.com/

Viod0
6/20/2007 2:58pm,
fes_fsa- Not knocking boxing..... I just don't want to _just_ learn boxing. I want the whole package. (striking, grappling, submissions, etc. ) Thank you for your advice.

Ming Loyalist- They do have a straight blast gym in the city. Thank YOU! I worry about communiting there, though. (no car) I'd have to figure out how to get there by train. Shouldn't be so hard.

WhiteShark- You are awsome. Maybe I screwed up by searching 'mma' instead of specifying a particular style. I found a bunch of karate/self-defense schools/TKD but the BJJ school in tuckahoe is more of what I'm into. Thank YOU!!!

I'll probably check out the BJJ school first because it's closer. It'd be a good start. I'll also start researching train/bus schedules to get to the SBG. I think I got what I need to get started. You are all awesome!!!!

fes_fsa
6/20/2007 3:03pm,
just remember... you don't have to limit yourself to one school. you can always do one and cross train with another. there are people here who do bjj and boxing.

good luck on getting started.

Abusivemelon
6/20/2007 3:19pm,
How old are you? Any past experience?

Teh El Macho
6/20/2007 3:37pm,
fes_fsa- Not knocking boxing..... I just don't want to _just_ learn boxing. I want the whole package. (striking, grappling, submissions, etc. ) Thank you for your advice.

Ming Loyalist- They do have a straight blast gym in the city. Thank YOU! I worry about communiting there, though. (no car) I'd have to figure out how to get there by train. Shouldn't be so hard.

WhiteShark- You are awsome. Maybe I screwed up by searching 'mma' instead of specifying a particular style. I found a bunch of karate/self-defense schools/TKD but the BJJ school in tuckahoe is more of what I'm into. Thank YOU!!!

I'll probably check out the BJJ school first because it's closer. It'd be a good start. I'll also start researching train/bus schedules to get to the SBG. I think I got what I need to get started. You are all awesome!!!!You don't want to limit yourself, but by knocking down one of the fundamentals (in this case, boxing), you are indeed limiting your options. Striking is part of the mma game, and boxing can be one piece in the puzzle.

sochin101
6/21/2007 7:15am,
Just taking BJJ and ignoring offers of boxing instruction doesn't sound like the road to fighting MMA professionally.
Like El Macho said, don't limit your options.

Torakaka
6/21/2007 10:20am,
ugh... another female "mma fighter" going down the bjj path. BJJ is great, but it sure is lame in my eyes that so many female MMA fights might aswell be grappling competitions.

Do the boxing thing in addition to the BJJ class. Boxing will more than likely be much cheaper than the BJJ anyway, and the female MMA world needs more technical strikers.

Anna Kovacs
6/21/2007 10:29am,
Striking makes crowds go "OOOOOOH!"

Grappling makes crowds go "STAND THEM UP!" and "WE WANT SOME ACTION!"

Naszir
6/21/2007 12:33pm,
As a Mandy Buckner fan, y'all cut me, y'all cut me real deep.