PDA

View Full Version : Any fans of John Rain series?

Pages : [1] 2

lk2230
6/20/2007 1:21pm,
Is anyone else here a fan of the John Rain series of novels written by Barry Eisler?

These are probably the best novels out there for combat sport fans to enjoy. The character is a half-Japanese/half-American assasin who specializes in killing by "natural causes". The author is a Kodokan-trained Judo black belt. All of the action in the series is thrilling, but the best parts are the fighting/killing sequences.

Any novel that features scenes taking place at Gracie Jiu-Jitsu (in Brazil), has one of the villains be an ex-Pride fighter, and has assasinations done by rear naked choke is great in my book.

The latest is Requiem for an Assasin.

BomberH
6/20/2007 5:40pm,
I love those books

Sempai
6/20/2007 5:44pm,
I just finished reading the latest book. I like the series but there's a little too much product placement in them (iPhone for all your assassination needs, lol).

Barry Eisler seems to know what he's talking about though. The fight scenes are very technical. He also does a great deal of research for each book and credits those who help him in the authors notes.

His web site says that the series has been optioned for a movie. Would be interesting to see who they would get to play Rain.

Gezere
6/20/2007 6:01pm,
Haven't read the series. Sounds intresting, might pick one up today.

EternalRage
6/20/2007 6:09pm,
Would be interesting to see who they would get to play Rain.

http://image.blog-24.com/298191.jpg

MSphinx
6/20/2007 6:25pm,
The series sounds interesting. Should I start from the first book or are they not linked?

Sempai
6/20/2007 6:48pm,
Some are linked more than others, but yeah I'd recomend starting as close to the beginning as you can.

The books are:

Rain Fall
Hard Rain
Rain Storm
Killing Rain
The Last Assassin
Requiem for an Assassin

Some of the books are marketed under different titles depending on the country so you're better off just looking for Barry Eisler

Gezere
6/20/2007 6:53pm,
LOL

I got an email form Matt Furey. Yes I subscribed to his combat conditioning site years ago.
He talks about John Rain.

Wed 6/20/2007

#1 Assassin Does Combat Conditioning

A couple days ago I received best-selling novelist Barry Eisler's latest, Requiem for an Assassin in the mail. Inside the cover Barry wrote the following:
Matt, Now you've got Rain and Dax doing Combat Conditioning ...Thanks for teaching it to them (and me).

Barry Eisler
Once again, Barry also mentioned me on his acknowledgments page. I think I've made six of his seven novels. Is that cool or what?

If you haven't read any of the Eisler novels, NOW is a good time to change that. These books are translated into multiple languages right out of the gate - and they hold the reader spell bound from start to finish.

So follow what the top names in the writing and entertainment and sports fields are doing. Read Barry Eisler novels and join his main character, John Rain, in a daily dose of Hindu pushups, squats and more.

Rise Up!

Come to think of it, I think he sent a similar message before. I guess he follows the novels too.

Marrt
6/20/2007 7:06pm,
http://image.blog-24.com/298191.jpg

Only for flashbacks... Rain's mid-40s or so right? The Last Assassin (reading it currently) seemes to imply he's very early 50s, and everything before has been a pretty direct timeline of events.

So, known asian actor early 40s... Takeshi Kaneshiro if he played older?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takeshi_Kaneshiro

Sempai
6/20/2007 7:28pm,
Late 50's is more like it, Rain is supposed to be a Vietnam vet.

Marrt
6/20/2007 8:06pm,
Late 50's is more like it, Rain is supposed to be a Vietnam vet.\

Ken Watanabe?

And the guess-timates are that he's around 48 at the start of Rain Fall... so that'd still only hit early fifties on the story timeline.

achiral
6/20/2007 8:42pm,
I like these books but in the first few it sometimes sounds like he is breaking necks with some sort of '24ish' 2 handed twist. In the later books he uses old judo cranks IIRC. This is a sign the author can adapt I guess.

Cdnronin
6/20/2007 8:44pm,
Is anyone else here a fan of the John Rain series of novels written by Barry Eisler?

These are probably the best novels out there for combat sport fans to enjoy. The character is a half-Japanese/half-American assasin who specializes in killing by "natural causes". The author is a Kodokan-trained Judo black belt. All of the action in the series is thrilling, but the best parts are the fighting/killing sequences.

Any novel that features scenes taking place at Gracie Jiu-Jitsu (in Brazil), has one of the villains be an ex-Pride fighter, and has assasinations done by rear naked choke is great in my book.

The latest is Requiem for an Assasin.

I liked the early books, last one I read seems like John Rain has spent too much time reading David Grossman.

lk2230
6/21/2007 12:43am,
From some things I read, the endorsement from Furey is becoming less and less worthwhile...but Rain still uses the exercises in a kickass fashion.

Oh, everyone should also know that the author, Barry Eisler, is one of the nicest, most accessible, and inviting author I've ever had the pleasure to respond with. He tried to help with a problem I had ordering the book; he replied to both my posts on MySpace and on his personal forum with speed worthy of Rain himself. He seems to care about his fans.

My favorite is in (I believe) Rain Storm when, very simply, he creeps up behind the Arab villain, does a double leg takedown from behind and just throws the guy off a balcony. Priceless.

LOL

I got an email form Matt Furey. Yes I subscribed to his combat conditioning site years ago.
He talks about John Rain.

Come to think of it, I think he sent a similar message before. I guess he follows the novels too.

lk2230
6/21/2007 12:47am,
Watanabe seems to be the best choice right now. Has the right age, and right general look (they may play with his Japanese features enough). Isn't known for ridiculous Jet Li crap. Is a recognizable enough face (Last Samurai, Memoirs of a Geisha, Batman Begins, etc) to justiy him starring in a major role.

The only problem is that he has a thick accent. Remember: Rain is half-American, and spent a sizeable period in childhood here (even in high school, where he wrestled). He then served for us in Vietnam and again for us with the CIA in Afghanistan. His mother (I believe his mother) was white.

Watanabe needs work to make that believeable.

lk2230
6/21/2007 12:48am,
I liked the early books, last one I read seems like John Rain has spent too much time reading David Grossman.

David Grossman?