PDA

View Full Version : Newbie coming through

Pages : [1] 2

piopatato
6/20/2007 6:05am,
A man covered in fur wielding nunchucks told me to come and present myself on the newbietown forum. He was typing in police 30, so there.

I'm french, i've done 2 years of kickboxing/karate, 3 months of ninjutsu and i'm looking forward to starting judo soon. I've also practiced LARP fight for many years . I'm like, a black belt in not hurting people with rubber sticks. Man, if you need advice about not even bruising someone who thinks he's Legolas, just ask me. I mean, Bullshido is all about busting out un-efficient techniques and arts that wouldn't work in a real environment, and i'm like , an expert at techniques that actually work in an absolutely fake environment.

I've been following Bullshido for a couple of years (along with other sites and sources), in my search for what the hell are martial arts about. Thanks for the work, kids.

TKDBot
6/20/2007 6:06am,
Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, piopatato. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

Scrapper
6/20/2007 7:01am,
A most excellent intro sir! Welcome!

jnp
6/20/2007 7:08am,
A most excellent intro sir! Welcome!
Agreed. This one shows promise.

Welcome to the site piopatato.

martialfan
2/06/2008 4:42pm,
hi guys just joined bullshido is this the newbie forum?

Jadonblade
2/06/2008 5:13pm,
Dammit martialfan what did I tell you!, blatant troll.

Pio - nice intro, you are part of the recent wave of french people invading the site. And by wave I mean 1 other. How do rate ninjutsu in regards to your judo, kickboxing backround?

Lily
2/06/2008 5:44pm,
Ca va piopotato!!! Welcome to BS.

martialfan
2/06/2008 6:10pm,
i dont know jadonblade what did u tell me?

piopatato
2/08/2008 8:33am,
'Sup all? I haven't been much around beyond my initial post. But that could change, maybe, depending on the good will of my butterfly like attention-span.

Ca va,ca va, Lily. On fait aller. Je suppose que tu dois te présenter dans un autre post. Alors j'irais le lire avant de te casser les pied avec l'eternelle question que tous les geeks doivent te poser: t'est vraiment une fille?

JadonBlade - How does ninjutsu (bujinkan budo taijutsu) rates compared to KB and judo? Well, different martial for different situations and purposes. Kickboxing and judo are geared towards competition and encourage sparring, and as such train for actual fighting: not only do you learn techniques, but you are also shown and get to practice how they apply.

Budo taijutsu teach a large spectrum of techniques that ranges from movement in armour to pole weapons (With a large portion of hand to hand somewhere in the middle). There is no competition or sparring in the normal curriculum. Students are left to interpret how all this can apply. My teacher told us in the frist session "Budo taijutsu isn't the best MA for self defence, though it's better than nothing. It's not the best for fitness, though it's best than nothing either. what you'll find here is a traditionnal japanese budo". From my experience, it was exactly that. The techniques taught seem to be historically accurate (I'm into medieval military history a lot, both european and asian), somewhat archaic and vague in their application, and very exhaustive, whereas judo and kickboxing are focused on a specific context.

Does that answer the question? Any other questions? reactions? I always enjoy a good debate.

Jadonblade
2/08/2008 9:55am,
'Sup all? I haven't been much around beyond my initial post. But that could change, maybe, depending on the good will of my butterfly like attention-span.

Ca va,ca va, Lily. On fait aller. Je suppose que tu dois te présenter dans un autre post. Alors j'irais le lire avant de te casser les pied avec l'eternelle question que tous les geeks doivent te poser: t'est vraiment une fille?

JadonBlade - How does ninjutsu (bujinkan budo taijutsu) rates compared to KB and judo? Well, different martial for different situations and purposes. Kickboxing and judo are geared towards competition and encourage sparring, and as such train for actual fighting: not only do you learn techniques, but you are also shown and get to practice how they apply.

Budo taijutsu teach a large spectrum of techniques that ranges from movement in armour to pole weapons (With a large portion of hand to hand somewhere in the middle). There is no competition or sparring in the normal curriculum. Students are left to interpret how all this can apply. My teacher told us in the frist session "Budo taijutsu isn't the best MA for self defence, though it's better than nothing. It's not the best for fitness, though it's best than nothing either. what you'll find here is a traditionnal japanese budo". From my experience, it was exactly that. The techniques taught seem to be historically accurate (I'm into medieval military history a lot, both european and asian), somewhat archaic and vague in their application, and very exhaustive, whereas judo and kickboxing are focused on a specific context.

Does that answer the question? Any other questions? reactions? I always enjoy a good debate.

Good answer, seems like you have a good bujinkan instructer as well. As your crosstraining, do you ever find you use moves from say judo in your taijutsu and moves from your taijutsu in your judo?. I would think probaly not so much in the first case due to the limited sparring you mentioned, but perhaps in the 2nd?

piopatato
2/08/2008 1:17pm,
Good answer, seems like you have a good bujinkan instructer as well.

Yup, i found in bujinkan a lot of ...errr, clear mindedness as to what martial arts are about.

As your crosstraining, do you ever find you use moves from say judo in your taijutsu and moves from your taijutsu in your judo?. I would think probaly not so much in the first case due to the limited sparring you mentioned, but perhaps in the 2nd?

Broad question. Specific moves are usually not applicable from one martial arts to the other (KB fist is horizontal, bujinkan fist is vertical, these kind of things), but the basics tend to always revolve around the same concepts: Control of your body weight, perception of distance and the opponent(s) actions and intentions, execution of a proper response. It seems to me that martial arts differ more in traditions and methods than in objectives.

To answer your question precisely: my experience in judo is very limited at the moment (2 classes), and it seems that the grappling techniques are basically the same, taught in a different way. I guess it makes sense. Body mechanics limit the way your body can be moved around anyway.

Lily
2/08/2008 9:51pm,
pio, oui! Je suis une fille :) Quel age avez-vous?

piopatato
2/10/2008 4:53am,
28 ans.. non attends, 29 maintenant. Qu'est ce qu tu fais en Australie? Notes que je te blames pas, je reviens de 7 ans passés en Irlande as we speak, comme on dit.

Lily
2/11/2008 3:04am,
J'ai 26 ans. Australia est grande! Etiez-vous jamais ici ? J'ai de l'heritage melange. Ma mere est de la France.

PizDoff
2/11/2008 10:52am,
What, they have French in Australia? Did you mom come from France and teach your French there Lily?

piopatato - Welcome to the forum, I was sure I had posted in this thread.
What does your name mean?

piopatato
2/11/2008 11:30am,
My name... hell, my name is a long and boring story. The kind usually told by a crabby old man in a shady bar where you didn't wanna be in the first place. There goes:

My first name is Pierre. In french, it usually becomes Pierro, meant as nickname. When is started doing online videogames, i tried to think of the nick that defined me the best. I tried many, but finally decided the classic "Pierro" would do the trick. It eventually got shortened into "Pio", cos' i'm lazy as hell. As you can check on you keyboard, the keys p, i and o are next to each other, much to my satisfaction.

patato was added when a friend insisted i joined a community where the nick pio was already taken. So i came up with piopatato. I don't know why exactly. Anyway, i thought at the time, this community thing won't stick anyway, and the piopatato nick will disapear.

The community didn't stick long, but the piopatato thingy did. So there,i shall now be known as Pio Patato, el rey de la pizza con las patatas! Fear my wrath. Fear it, along with my anchovies and bacon bits!

Lily, you write a french that seems awfully close to an altavista babelfish translation of english sentences. Are you just not good with french language, or not french at all?