PDA

View Full Version : Starting MA in Seattle (1st post)

hotdrop
6/19/2007 8:27pm,
Ive decided that I want to pick up a martial art that can help both stay in shape and learn to defend myself. I was thinking maybe Judo would be a good or maybe Ju-Jutsu but quite honestly im not really sure. I need something that is practial and idealy an art that would not only emphysize the combat aspect but also situational awereness that is nessiesary to avoid combat in the first place. Idealy that would come from an instructor who grew up in a harsher enviroment then I. Right now im thinking the seattle Ju-Jutsu club would be a good place to start but if anyone can reccomend any other places to check out that would be much appericated. (I live up by everett in the summer and at UW during the rest of the year so places near there would be of most intetest to me).

OmegaBot
6/19/2007 8:28pm,
Welcome aboard, hotdrop! The Bullshido staff would welcome you personally, but the thing is they’re busy keeping the peace, so they’ve apointed me, a bot, to pat you on the back and assure you that in no way will you be harmed during your stay here at BS.net. Your views on the martial arts, your philosphy, maybe even your entire reason for being will be challenged, shattered, reorganized, melted down, and forged into something new and shiny, but we swear it will only hurt a little bit… at first.

Cuchulain
6/19/2007 8:29pm,
You were dead on with Judo. Very practical and very demanding physically.

schuyler
6/20/2007 12:57am,
Aaron Fields is the best judo instructor in Seattle hands down (http://seattle-jujutsu.org/). I'd also check out Seattle Kyokushin (http://kyokushinseattle.com/) for all your stand-up needs.

Ryno
6/20/2007 11:51am,
I train withe Aaron at Seattle Jujutsu club. Great instructor who is very strong on his feet and on the ground. The workouts are very demanding. (Just ask what the tally marks on the wall are.)

Axelton
6/20/2007 11:53am,
Aaron Fields is the best judo instructor in Seattle hands down (http://seattle-jujutsu.org/). I'd also check out Seattle Kyokushin (http://kyokushinseattle.com/) for all your stand-up needs(except head punching =O).

Hehe.

Aaron Fields
6/21/2007 12:42am,
Schuyler, that is a very kind thing to say, but I am a bit uncomfortable with it.

I am a fella just sweating away at a sport that has held my attention for more than half my life. Anything I am, I owe to my coaches, everything I am not is my own fault. Seattle has a long and storied judo tradition. This history includes the oldest club in the United States, which opened in 1904 if memory serves me. I am happy to be part of that community, but in truth,I am still learning everyday just like everybody else. Our club has developed a strong reputation for the technical ability of our players. That is due to sweat equity, and focus.

I want to be clear about what it is I do though, I have grade in a meji period jujutsu and am yudansha in judo as well. It should be noted that the judo practiced in our club is not the mainstream Olympic variety. In addition, I have done quite a bit of sombo while living in the Eastern Block, along with some Mongolian Folk wrestling.

We practice in the model found in the former Soviet states, with no real distinction being drawn between the sports until it comes time for a competition. Our club is a very blue collar joint, a lot of sweat and good folks. As Ryan mentioned don't worry about the marks on the wall. I am not one that goes for the trends, we continue to be and alwasy have been, a club that gives equal focus to standing and ground work, (tachi-waza and ne-waza.) I have great training partners in our gym, and because it not a commerical venture, (as I make my living as a firefighter,) we are able to maintain high standards without the fear of financial burden.

Again, anyone interested in practicing with us is always welcome.

Best Regards,
Aaron Fields

FictionPimp
6/21/2007 7:45am,
Sounds like an awesome place to train.

Matt W.
6/21/2007 10:53am,
I trained there for 3 weeks when visiting Seattle and now train with one of their BBs out in Spokane. Great instruction and friendly peeps. Also good newaza (groundfighting). Highly recommend it.

hotdrop
6/21/2007 5:19pm,
Ill have to check it out when is the best time to come by ?

Aaron Fields
6/22/2007 4:22pm,
I sent you an email.

Aaron Fields

Thaiboxerken
6/22/2007 4:26pm,
Looks like I'll be up in the area doing a job in Spanaway from July 4th to 13th or so.