PDA

View Full Version : Strikes that defeat Muay Thai!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

DARKSON
6/19/2007 8:24pm,
Ok, what are some techniques that are?

A. Legal to use in the ring
B. Not a part of normal Muay Thai curriculum
C. Would work against a decent Thai boxer

Axe kick ~ I'll start with the Axe kick. The Axe kick has been used effectively in the ring by K-1 champion Andy Hug and vet Mirco "Cro Cop" Filipovic.

Front Snap Kick ~ Semmy Schilt uses a front snap kick pretty effectively in K-1.

Brazilian Kick ~ Francisco Filho & Glaube Feitosa

I'm really looking for some "outside of the box" type **** that would work in the ring, catch people off guard, and make for a nasty highlight reel. I think the Capoiera "evade high kick counter to hand stand high kick" could work with the proper timing. We saw the Afri-jutsu guy use that same concept with the "low spinning sweep the leg" move. I think the TKD "hopping fake kick left to hop kick right" move might work.

What else we got? I will try to find some clips to go with my less than perfect move descriptions.

feedback
6/19/2007 8:49pm,
Spinning back-kick to the knee ala Andy Hug

DARKSON
6/19/2007 8:57pm,
Nice, I've actually tried that one. I think it's worth adding to the list.

Torakaka
6/19/2007 9:47pm,
pi quan

ysc87
6/19/2007 9:57pm,
front-flip kick the guy.
where's that video of the compliation of jumping somersaults in mma/k-1?

Permalost
6/19/2007 10:40pm,
SBK to the knee? That sounds dirty.

Anyway, this is a kick I haven't seen in muay thai:
http://www.savateaustralia.com/skills/low_blow/htm

Also, the foot stomp to the instep during the clinch.

A while back, there was a thread about this kind of kick where you hack the back of the heel into the outside thigh. Its not one I really use.

The roundhouse kick with the toe or ball of foot can be used against someone only used to hitting with the shin. When I throw my leg kicks with the shin and they start getting checked, I sometimes switch to the toe because it gets around their shield and hits with a small point. This is probably not a good idea without shoes http://www.savateaustralia.com/skills/fouette/htm

Side kicks? I'm guessing there's some reason you don't see them in muay thai (the square stance prevents it, I guess). Back in the day I loved blasting people with the Bruce Lee stepping behind side kick, but now I just find it too easy to see coming.

TheMightyMcClaw
6/19/2007 11:04pm,
I'd probably throw my change in with the spin back kick and side thrust kick. If you watch some Muay Thai vs San Da fights (I've noticed that youtube mainly carries the ones where the San Da fighter wins), you should see some good uses of those kicks.

Stinkfist
6/19/2007 11:23pm,
Lead straight punch as an interception? the savate chasse kick after he leg kicks you? Hook punches when you have the positional advantage.

Sir Ocelot
6/19/2007 11:30pm,

http://www.savateaustralia.com/skills/low_blow.htm

(link fixed)

That's one to wear shoes for.

hoodedmonk
6/19/2007 11:31pm,
lead hand uppercut. It's probably not going to knock anybody out, but it might land.

Permalost
6/20/2007 12:39am,
Oh, I thought we were just talking about kicking.

The popper: when you get a thai clinch: etend and pop the fold of your elbow into the head or neck, then grab for clinch again. Repeat with intermittent knees and stomps.

Shoulder strikes: When pulling in for a thai clinch, incidentally smash his face with your shoulder in the process. This has worked with mixed results for me. When applied to the face, it has worked well, but if they're quick to tuck the chin you might get headbutted in the collarbone.

Inward hammerfist (I'm not sure if these are allowed in MT or not). I use them when I spar with boxing gloves and you get some extra power from the weight. You can throw these to the head/neck in a short efficient manner, or to the ribs during a clinch if your opponent has you in a good necktie and you're on your way to getting upright and moving inside. These are used in panantukan.

Elbow spike to thighs: I'm not sure if this is trained in muay thai or not, but when opponent grabs you and pulls you into knees, spike the tip of your elbow into his quad to jam/block the attack.

Permalost
6/20/2007 12:41am,
(link fixed)

That's one to wear shoes for.
I put the wrong link, but I fixed it to show the right page. I wasn't talking about the first one. I was talking about the fouette.

selfcritical
6/20/2007 4:36am,

http://www.savateaustralia.com/skills/low_blow/htm

Also, the foot stomp to the instep during the clinch.

A while back, there was a thread about this kind of kick where you hack the back of the heel into the outside thigh. Its not one I really use.

The roundhouse kick with the toe or ball of foot can be used against someone only used to hitting with the shin. When I throw my leg kicks with the shin and they start getting checked, I sometimes switch to the toe because it gets around their shield and hits with a small point. This is probably not a good idea without shoes http://www.savateaustralia.com/skills/fouette/htm

Side kicks? I'm guessing there's some reason you don't see them in muay thai (the square stance prevents it, I guess). Back in the day I loved blasting people with the Bruce Lee stepping behind side kick, but now I just find it too easy to see coming.

I generally only throw the sidekick after telegraphing a round kick to turn my hip over, let them shield, and pull my folded leg past their check to shoot at the hip or base leg. It should be very similar to a chausse(sp?) from savate, except for the end foot position not being a stomp.

I also throw oblique stomp kicks to the base leg as cut kicks when I have shoes on, and knee the thigh against mid rounds if I have the angle.

Asriel
6/20/2007 5:01am,
Follow a roundhouse with a spinning hook kick? I've seen it used once in the ring to devastating effect.

WhiteShark
6/20/2007 6:35am,
Reverse round kick FTW. Ala Kyokushin

Khun Kao
6/20/2007 7:58am,
In my experience, Axe Kicks are normally weak against MuayThai.

I personally like Side Kicks, but they seem to have mixed success.

I also like the Brazilian Kick as its timing can really throw the defender off.

I'm a big fan of the Spinning Back Kick, but I feel that the reason why we don't see it work in fights a great deal is that most people don't set up their angle & distance properly.

The inward hammerfists (ala Jack Dempsey or the "caveman punch" ala Rodney King) seem as though they would be very effective strikes, but my own personal experience with them is proving them to be rather weak.... quite frankly, they have proven to be all but useless. But I'm still experimenting with this technique because there really seems to be a great deal of potential with these strikes.....

The Spinning Backfist is a very mixed bag. Again, I think the primary reason we don't see it being used more successfully in the ring is because people simply don't set up their angle and distance effectively.

The "Russian Hook" (what I refer to as an "Inverted Hook") is a strike I really like, but it only seems to work consistently in very specific scenarios.

There is some "legwork" in the clinch that I like. I need to practice it more because when I get it right, it WORKS! Basically there is a series of techniques on how to apply pressure with your leg and knee to your opponents leg as you work for superior position. I'm just not that good at it yet....