PDA

View Full Version : 17 year old force feeds carjacker his own sidearm

Pages : [1] 2

Wounded Ronin
6/19/2007 6:41pm,
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19312164/

METAIRIE, La. - A 17-year-old boy foiled an attempted carjacking, wrestling a gun from a would-be robber and shooting him after the man grabbed his mother, authorities said.

Carl Chestnut, wounded in the head and torso, will face armed robbery charges once he is released from East Jefferson General Hospital, Col. John Fortunato, a Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office spokesman, said Monday.

The 53-year-old woman, whose name wasn’t released, and her son were in the drive-through line at an Arby’s Roast Beef Restaurant early Monday when Chestnut, 44, walked up and pointed a gun at her, demanding their money and the car, Fortunato said.

When he leaned inside, trying to yank the mother out of the car, the 17-year-old grabbed the gun, Fortunato said. He said it went off once as they struggled, but did not hit anyone. Once the youth got the gun, he shot Chestnut several times, Fortunato said.

Sylena Rhodes, a corporate officer for Arby’s, said, “He saved his mother’s life. He’s a hero. He’s an absolute hero.”

While acknowledging the gamble succeeded, authorities stressed that it’s safer to cooperate in such a case.

“Give them the money and give them the keys,” Sheriff Harry Lee said. “You make an insurance payment on your car, and nobody gets shot.”

Why do the "authorities" always say that you should cooperate with the perp and do what he wants? Isn't that a gamble in and of itself? What if the kid didn't grab the gun and had to watch his mom being raped or something like that?

Also, I'm sure that if this hadn't happened in a place like Louisiana, no doubt the kid would be getting sued now by the perp.

BackFistMonkey
6/19/2007 7:33pm,
I may have been in the area but I was in no way involved .

That is suck a heart warming story ... pay your insurance and no one gets shot .

I think State Farm should pick that up as a slogan .

alex
6/19/2007 7:54pm,

Why do the "authorities" always say that you should cooperate with the perp and do what he wants? Isn't that a gamble in and of itself? What if the kid didn't grab the gun and had to watch his mom being raped or something like that?

Also, I'm sure that if this hadn't happened in a place like Louisiana, no doubt the kid would be getting sued now by the perp.

on the other hand, during the struggle the gun could have gone off in his mums face. I seriously doubt he was planning on raping her at a drive through.

Zendetta
6/19/2007 7:55pm,
But but but.... violence is never the answer!!!

Kayne
6/20/2007 6:14am,
Correct. It's the question, and the answer is YES!

Sun Wukong
6/20/2007 6:24am,
Wow, an attempted carjacking in Metaire? Must be the post-katrina scum that's been floating around.

CannibalCrowley
6/20/2007 7:50am,
Why do the "authorities" always say that you should cooperate with the perp and do what he wants?

It's job security for them if you feel that you can't protect yourself. Thankfully, not every authority wants people to behave like sheep.

Lv1Sierpinski
6/20/2007 8:27am,
They say that because can you imagine the **** storm if they said "kick ass kids, fighting back is always the right thing to do", then some kid goes and gets himself killed...the family would land on the authority like a ton of bricks.

But really, there's always too many what-ifs in cases like these.

Coach Josh
6/20/2007 9:03am,
FYI there was scum in Metarie before Katrina. Its a suburb of New Orleans.

But your right the police always say just go along for your safety. I am sure he got a few pats on the back by the police. Remember there is a fine line between bravery and stupid. Bravery means that the outlandish feat you performed worked with stupid means it failed.

Poo-Jitsu
6/20/2007 9:42am,

they have to say that to avoid liability. as someone mentioned earlier, if they tell everyone to open fire and an innocent person gets killed then they will get sued. these days though, doing nothing can get you killed too. there was a hotel clerk who was robbed at gunpoint here in my town a few years ago. she cooperated fully with the guy, gave him all the money she had there. he shot and killed her executioner style as he was leaving.

of course, i was robbed as a bank manager and i laid on the floor and did nothing and wasn't shot. i guess it's a roll of the dice.

Wounded Ronin
6/20/2007 4:16pm,
It really is a roll of the dice, isn't it? I once saw footage on TV of some guys robbing a drug store. The counter attendant didn't do anything, but as the perps were leaving one of them held his pistol over the counter and blind fired one shot into the attendant, who was hit in the spine and paralyzed. That was a roll of the dice in the sense that you couldn't have known whether or not the perp was going to shoot you, but also in the chance that the person behind the counter had extreme bad luck in that a single blind fired round hit the spine and not any number of non-catastrophic places a person could be shot.

Roidie McDouchebag
6/21/2007 3:36am,
[email protected] police EVER endorsing vigilantism. Idiocy.

mrblackmagic
6/22/2007 9:28am,
I may have been in the area but I was in no way involved .

That is suck a heart warming story ... pay your insurance and no one gets shot .

I think State Farm should pick that up as a slogan .

It's Harry Lee. What more can you say?

AMERCOM
6/22/2007 10:00am,

So typical of the politically correct leo's,citizens are to stupid to defend themselves,always cooperate and you won't get hurt.Firearms are bad,self defense is bad,blah,blah,blah.Those types of leo's really make me sick.The fact of the matter is alot of thugs out there will kill you even if you cooperate.You have a better chance of survival if you do fight.

Ryno
6/22/2007 1:02pm,
It just depends on the situation whether you should cooperate or resist. Some professional robbers will just take the money and try to get out of there as cleanly as possible. Others are just thugs who want to look tough, so they shoot someone just to harden their reputation. Unless you've dealt with both of these types of people a lot, it can be difficult to tell which you are dealing with. Is it someone who just wants your property, or is it someone who's trying to gain a reputation? If A, then give it up. If B, do something, anything, and quickly, because you'll probably be beaten or killed after he takes your money.

Nid
6/22/2007 1:19pm,
It's job security for them if you feel that you can't protect yourself.

Mmmm...no.

We're the face of local government.
Water turned off? Call the cops.
Electricity out? Call the cops.
Baby-daddy won't return the kids? Call the cops.
Deck not installed in a timely manner? Call the cops.
Your daughter won't come home? Call the cops.
Neighbor's music too loud? ...
A puddle is forming in your driveway due to melting snow? ...
You found a peculiar sea shell while vacationing in florida? ...
A bus driver actually raised his voice at your brat? ...
Need $525.00 cash, like, right now? ...
You told your 17 y/o daughter not to get a puppy, but she did anyway, and now she's on her way home with it, and you're afraid she may beat you up?...
You went to buy drugs, and the dealer actually robbed you?...
You went to sell drugs, and the buyers actually robbed you?...

[email protected] police EVER endorsing vigilantism.

It could be endorsed if people took the time to learn how to do it. Usually, however, it's just personal, emotionally driven, and in response to property damage, or issues with eachothers kids and pets. So no, if you gotta make a blanket statement, you gotta account for the tards.

That shouldn't be surprising.