PDA

View Full Version : The Brown Ribbon Campaign.

PizDoff
6/17/2007 11:14pm,
I've been meaning to do this for a long time.

This thread will be a illustrative collaboration of horrible evil TMA'ers killing trees. Why? Is it because they are insecure and have to beat some something that cannot fight back? Is the makiwara or heavy bag too boring you have to make a mess on the dojo floor?

Does breaking that board with a reverse punch truely equal breaking someone's ribs?
What did that quarter-inch board ever do to you?
Does it hit back?
Why must be continue to promote deforestation? We need to love our friends the trees.
Why must be kill so many pine trees? They are towers of protection and smell great.

This thread will be only for articles and discussion of board/ice/brick/other breaking.

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/3214/cnv000016b6qim0dsq7.jpg

PizDoff
6/17/2007 11:14pm,
Fists fly for charity

Little fists of fury flew on Saturday, as Hanford tae kwon do students karate-chopped for charity near Courthouse Square.

The Hanford Family Karate Class and Agape Martial Arts participated in the national Break-A-Thon, in which karate students across the United States break boards to raise money for at-risk children and for karate equipment.

"Everyone goes home happy, because everyone breaks something," said Grand Master Frank Leon-Guerrero, 49, who teaches the class.

"(Board-breaking) has been going on since the beginning of martial arts," he said. "It tests the ability to focus. And learning how to break through the board, it's symbolic of a lot of things, like breaking through life's challenges," he said.

The young students and several adults arrived in red, black and white do-buks, the Korean tae kwon do uniform. Some wore flip-flops, some were barefoot, while others wore checkered Vans tennis shoes and Converse Chuck Taylors.
Michaela Silva, a 10-year-old blue belt, said she has been involved in karate for a year and a half.

"Before I hit (the board) I think about being mad at someone," she said. "It feels good when I break it."

The Hanford Break-A-Thon is part of a national effort to break the world record for the most boards broken in one hour. The previous record was set in 2005, when 95,501 boards were broken.

This was the first year Hanford participated. About 25 parents and students showed up for the event.

Participants get pledges based on how many boards they break. About 400 boards were broken in Hanford this year, raising around $400, said Leon-Guerrero.

The boards were donated by Holt Lumber in Hanford.

"I get nervous before I hit it, I think about breaking a bone," said blue belt Josh Martinez, 12. "Afterwards I feel happy and strong," he said.

"I think it builds their confidence, their inner and outer strength," said Edward Luena, 52, who helps teach the classes. He said he has three black belts despite having polio in both arms.

"The mental strength is what breaks the board," he said.

http://www.hanfordsentinel.com/articles/2007/06/17/news/daily04.txt